PDA

View Full Version : Plaques with Words

aparks
03-26-2008, 01:06 PM
I am interested in making plaques with words as well as designs. Do any of you "Oldtimers" have any hints and tips for a very Newbie?

What fonts work best? What bit? Can any of the "Dremel" type bits be used with an adapter? What is the difference/advantage of the CenterLine program -- the $100 one?

I thank you for any and all comments. -- Allen

cnsranch
03-26-2008, 01:33 PM
at the attached. The "Williams" sign is carved with only the carving bit and cut out with the 1/8" cutting bit. I did it over the weekend on walnut - it turned out really good.

The other two are designed for one sign. You can't use centerline in a carve region,l so I had to design the first carve for the design elements, and the other then for the text. The first part has been carved in poplar, and turned out great. I'll do the text this weekend.

Re you question about fonts, make sure you look close at your design - zoom in close and study it - what you see is what the CW will produce. I learned the hard way that raised letters will chip out if too small - also use a draft on your letters - the vertical edges are prone to chip, the draft softens that.

You'll get lots of opinions re bits, but so far, the two that came with the CW, as well as a 60 and 90 degree bit for centerline is all I see my needing - I have many tools in the shop, so I don't think I'll ever use the CW to joint, edge rout, etc. Dremel bits aren't supported by the software, although you can find 1/8" adapters.

BTW, take a look at the oval on the Williams sign - you'll notice that it stairsteps - that's the way Publisher made it, and that's exactly how it carved - some sanding will take care of it, but I bring it up to say that you'll want the probe and its software. I didn't have the pattern editor installed until after that carve. I used the editor to clean up that oval, and it came out perfectly - money well spent, but installed too late for that carve.

Good luck

rjustice
03-26-2008, 08:38 PM
If you choose to go with the 1/8" tools I have bit adapters that i make and sell that are very precise. The tools will fit perfectly. I havent found a dremel bit that works as good for the centerline text, as the "V" tools i am making, if you are wanting to do small fonts...

Just email me at the address below in my signature..

Happy Carving,

Ron