PDA

View Full Version : Something New

LittleRedWoodshop
03-26-2008, 10:41 AM
Hey can anyone figure this out...by now you guys know me.

Always trying to come up with something new and EASY.

View Larger (http://tallented.hypermart.net/ph_084.JPG)

Hint: it is some more of that material that they told me I couldn't cut

Kenm810
03-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Only A guess,

but it looks a little like the composite flooring I've been seeing around lately,
with the photo finish wood grain on it.

cnsranch
03-26-2008, 10:58 AM
Looks like the mdf backed laminate flooring I put in my old kitchen - if ti is, that's cool.

SandBuoy
03-26-2008, 12:04 PM
Jason, when I went to the lumber yard and they had everything but solid white in the extruded PVC. Some of the styles look similar to what you used in the photo. If thats not it, my quess would be you took extruted PVC and put a layer of formica over top of it and carved it.

LittleRedWoodshop
03-26-2008, 12:55 PM
Sandbuoy is the closest so far.

My Menards Store sticker says:
7049 1X8 PLANK
sku number: 07067837876
then there is a number off to the side: 080207

SandBuoy
03-26-2008, 02:32 PM
Okay did you take PVC and put flooring over top of it?

Hey wonder if formica glued over 1/4" corian, then doing the Litho would leave a nice wood look frame around it. Hmmmmmm Got me thinking again Jason. Sure would save having to make a wood frame to set the carving in. Thnaks for your post and getting us imagining different techiques.

SandBuoy
03-26-2008, 02:36 PM
PS....thought this was kind of cool. My wife says reading some of these post reminds her of a bunch of Mad Scientist haha....she has a point I guest..

MAD SCIENTIST AT WORK...stand back

Kenm810
03-26-2008, 03:49 PM
I hope it's not self adhesive wood grained laminate or shelf paper on pvc

SandBuoy
03-26-2008, 05:02 PM
shelf paper haha good one

HighTechOkie
03-26-2008, 07:36 PM
Looks like shelf paper to me.

Rob

Dave-Carve
03-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Maybe Not But ..
One of the many entertainment Centers , Desk , Cabnets Etc You See On The Side of the road for "FREE" Made Of, Glue On Laminant , Stick on Vynil Etc. Carved, Edged, Then Painted White Letters, Wiped off .. Looks Pretty Good What ever it Is !!!!

Or Maybe Some Kind Of Wood Flooring Stuff ???

"Come On Give us Another Hint" :confused: Strofoam with contact Paper ...

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
03-26-2008, 08:01 PM
Extruded PVC with a wood veneer? Not sure but guessing cause of the white letters.... Either way looks great! Keep up the good work, you are always providing inspiration.

LittleRedWoodshop
03-27-2008, 12:33 AM
He hit it right on the head. Contact paper (shelf paper) over white PVC.

Now imagine the implications: There is no clean-up, carves great and comes out the machine ready to go (DONE) no painting.

And Contact paper comes in like 8 millions colors and styles.

Now think about this: I really get tired of sanding my pieces after I paint the letters in (this is how this all started) so I stuck a piece of contact paper to the WOOD that I was cutting. Ran the piece thru the CC/CW, painted the letters in, blew it dry with my wifes blow dryer, pulled the contact paper off (which was now stuck pretty good after going under the rollers) and there you go, NICE STRAIGHT PAINT LINES WITH NO SANDING.

Look for paper that is on sale, doesn't matter what color it is, you're just using it as masking tape and it is about a 10th of the cost of masking tape.

SandBuoy
03-27-2008, 02:34 AM
Kjdnd jenfkis shuemrr OOOPS let me remove my foot from my mouth once again. Very very cool idea Jason. Its cheap, comes in a nice width, lenth and bet it sticks really nice. I have a ton of it here just I now know what to do with it. Great thinking and should help most of us out.

Ken Massingale
03-27-2008, 04:54 AM
That's a great idea, Jason, and it looks great too. I'm still trying to figure where the heck to look for extruded PVC at Home depot or Lowes. What section may it be in?
Thanks
ken

rjustice
03-27-2008, 06:16 AM
www.usplastic.com is a good source for any plastic products you may want or need... look in the sheet/rod section...

Ron

Ken Massingale
03-27-2008, 07:21 AM
www.usplastic.com is a good source for any plastic products you may want or need... look in the sheet/rod section...

Ron
Thanks Ron. They have real fair shipping rates too.
ken

forqnc
03-27-2008, 09:43 AM
He hit it right on the head. Contact paper (shelf paper) over white PVC.

I saw on another CNC forum where they use "Paint Mask" I believe you can get it from AutoBody places. I was going to try it one day. :rolleyes:
Thanks for trying first.

optionman
03-27-2008, 10:02 AM
went to the usplastic website. should i be looking at the high-impact styrene sheets? or something else? and what about lithos. what do they sell for those?

thanks

Icutone2
03-27-2008, 12:03 PM
Great idea! Not a very good painter and masking tape lines are never straight for me anyway. Thanks again:p

peter_l
03-27-2008, 12:29 PM
This sounds like a great idea. Do you think the adhesive have any issues on he bits?

Pete

forqnc
03-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Here is a link to the "Paint Mask" product, the adhesive was one of my concerns.

http://www.signwarehouse.com/c-VSSTENC.html

Ken Massingale
03-27-2008, 03:09 PM
This sounds like a great idea. Do you think the adhesive have any issues on he bits?

Pete
No, the bits are carbide. An adhesive film isn't going to harm them at all. MDF is hardened wood glue and sawdust and it's routed extensively.