PDA

View Full Version : Second Lithopane Attemp

SandBuoy
03-25-2008, 11:45 PM
I opted to carve this one a little deeper as I think this material I got is not as transparent as corian. It took a lot less light to bring the picture off. This is a picture of my mother and father on their wedding day 63 years ago. They are celebrating their 64th anniverary this year and they will love this. It still amzes me what this machine can do from a photo.

fwharris
03-26-2008, 12:19 AM
Great job!
What did you use since it was not Carian? What are your depth of carves and the thickness of material?

Keep em coming!!

SandBuoy
03-26-2008, 02:21 AM
Not sure what material it is. So many solid surfaces out there anymore. It just seems to be less transparent then real corian thou. I planned it down to 1/4" and carved the image at .200. Going tomorrow to find some lighting for a box I am making for it out of a marbled maple I got. I am doing another one of the exact imagine but with my parents name on the top and their weeding date under the photo. Keeping this one for myself.

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
03-26-2008, 08:36 AM
Sandbouy, Excellent lithopane. That is still on top of my to do list. I have done some corian and formica but not the actual lithopane. Maybe what you are using is what they call "Solid Surfaced Formica". I used some and had similar transparency problems. Also the local cabinet shop guy told me that solid sufaced fomica was becoming more and more popular for countertops. Im just guess but if it looks like corian, cuts like corian but isnt corain it might be solid surfaced formica. But then again im just guessing, i wouldnt know without looking at it. Keep up the good work! Matt

SandBuoy
03-26-2008, 12:18 PM
I know from my kitchen and bath designing experience that were many solid surface materials out in the 80s and 90s. I had corian and Serell on display kitchens 1/2" thick hand made.

Somewhere around 95 I think, a company in Pittsgurgh was making solid surface tops from a new product 1/8" thick. They actually ran it threw a machine, heated and applied it like laminates and bent in the front edge. I had one on display and looked just like a laminate counter over solid surface at 1/3 the cost of 1/2" solid surface.

Sure wish I could get some of that material. Its only 1/8" thick but the possibilties for carving and bending some different projects would be fun.

BTW folks, my thanks goes out to Amanda for helping me with this first litho. She was the one that actually prepped the photo for me to put into designer. It was very important to me to get a good litho of my parents wedding picture to give to them. Amanda came to the rescue...Thanks

amanda0101
03-27-2008, 04:43 PM
You did all the hard work. I just helped with the easy stuff! It looks beautiful!