PDA

View Full Version : Hey everyone!

Dhaffner
03-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Hello, my name is Doug and I'm a tool-oholic. After much consideration, I bought a carvewright last weekend at a show here in Illinois (Thanks Jason!). It hasn't arrived yet, but I've already gotten to know a bunch about it from you all and this forum, as well as several others! Thanks!

I'm looking forward to carving up some material and making some stuff!

My question for you experienced users is this:

I have photoshop, and plan to buy the centerline app once I get the machine. What else do you all recommend I look at or consider? I'vew heard whispers about other bits, and an app that might help me carve 3D objects (man that liquidguitars stuff is amazing)....can anyone point the newbie around?

Thanks!

Doug

AskBud
03-25-2008, 06:21 PM
Here are some good things to review:
http://carvewright.com/cms/tutorials
http://carvebuddy.com/scanningvideo_how_it_works.html
AskBud

Semper Fi
03-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Doug, I'd recommend the scanning probe. It'll give new meaning to yard sales, as you look for old stuff to scan. LOL

Dhaffner
03-25-2008, 07:12 PM
great stuff. I did order the probe with it...I'm looking forward to doing some sculpted pieces in super sculpy...then baking that and scanning them.

I've been reading all the stuff people have been doing with corian and other stuff, that's amazing as well.

fwharris
03-26-2008, 12:14 AM
Question for you experienced users is this:

I have photoshop, and plan to buy the centerline app once I get the machine. What else do you all recommend I look at or consider? I'vew heard whispers about other bits, and an app that might help me carve 3D objects (man that liquidguitars stuff is amazing)....can anyone point the newbie around?

Thanks!

Doug

Doug, Did you buy any other bits? Either extra 1/16" carving bit or 1/8" cutting bit or full bit set? You should have back ups for the carving and cutting bits. If you are going to do centerline you will need the 60 and 90 degree bits.

If you are familiar with photoshop you should be ok. If not there are a bunch of carvers here that do and have posted "how toes" to help others out. There are a lot of other image desinging software progams that other users have posted links to here on the forum. Some look very interesting and very creative. I've looked at several of them and I've found that if you have a good background in graphics stuff (which I do not) or have the time to learn them, they keep me from carving. It's your choice.

Your are correct in saying, "man that liquidguitars stuff is amazing" and a whole lot of other carvers here! I learn something new just about every day here..

Hope you enjoy your CW when it gets to you! I really enjoy having mine!!

PS: LUBE THAT FLEX SHAFT!!! AND MAKE LOTS OF DUST!!

Dhaffner
03-26-2008, 10:51 AM
yeah, I actually ordered the whole bit set, and just placed an order with Ron for some of his special bits and adapters..and a bunch of other accessories.

I'm gonna run over at lunch and pick up the various lubes recommended as well as some material to build a sled (you guys are so cool I found the pdf plan for the sled).

I've spent about 4 hours now in designer just playing around and figuring out what does what. I suppose the only other thing I could do while I wait for it to arrive is make a stand... :D

TIMCOSBY
03-29-2008, 01:11 AM
help file in designer cover to cover.

LittleRedWoodshop
03-29-2008, 10:31 PM
Looking for great things from you, you are a ball of fire. Look forward to working with you.

And thank you for everything you have already shared.

And Welcome to the TEAM. The LittleRedWoodshop Team.