PDA

View Full Version : Planning down Corian

SandBuoy
03-25-2008, 02:35 PM
Got a great deal on two boxes of 1/2 x 11 x 13 corian squares. 14 peices in all with 5 pieces being dark colors for coin/jewelry boxes. The rest were white and bone but I am not sure it was all actual corian brand. Some seemed a little harder material but planned just the same.

I have a Ridgid 13" thickness planner I used with new blades in it. I cut all the squares full size but one. The first one I cut into 4 equal squares to test. Went threw like hard wood and very smooth. The ones I did this morning were full size and I cut 3 of them. Here some suggestion if you want to plane this material down.

It is very very dusty and mostly fine. I wore a face mask but will be getting a new respirator for this stuff. I am also making a dust collector at the end of them planner that will slide up past the extention plate. I will cut the top on an angle so I can pull the material the plate but still have the bottom under the extention plate. The planner will rest of the floor to keep the dust as low as possible.

Like I said, I cut 3 11x13 blocks this morning down to 1/4" and got enough dust and chips to fill a 8 gallon shop vac. Luckily I pulled the CC out and shut the door on the 5x9 room which was almost entirely white after the planning.

So if you plan on planning down corian type materials, make a dust collector, catch bag, wear ear, eye and nose protection and have an outside vent to vent out the smell and small particles. Other then that its a peice of cake, not any harder on the machine then cutting aged oak and 1/4 the cost from what I have seen on ebay. But its dirty and deathening and makes the CC seem pleasent to clean after using it.

Help the info helps.

optionman
03-25-2008, 02:42 PM
what did the 1/2" cost, found 1 supplier of .25" and need to compare if its cheaper to cut 1/2" down?

thanks

SandBuoy
03-25-2008, 07:52 PM
Hi Option, I got mine from a guy that makes counter tops for Lowes and Sears. With my plans of getting another machine from CW I have an agreement with him for 6-8 more boxes but not all of it is litho material. About 60-40 with most white and Bone. $25.00 a box shipped for 7 peices of 11-3/4 x 13-3/4. About $3. a sq foot. He also has alot of oval sink cut outs and clipped corner peices. I reserved the clipped corner ones before he sold everything. So I lose 1" a side but they were $4 a box less. Cheap considering 1/4" about the same quanity has sold for more then $100 a box.

twehr
03-26-2008, 07:29 AM
1. Are you getting any chirp when planing the Corian? Typically, (with wood, at least) you get 2"-4" on the ends that planes thinner than the rest because only one end is under the rollers (just like CW).

2. Are you taking many very fine cuts or being more aggressive with the first cuts?

optionman
03-26-2008, 08:46 AM
$25/box sounds like a great deal. that's 1/2 inch, correct?

SandBuoy
03-26-2008, 11:53 AM
yep 1/2" and then I plane it down to 1/4" for lithos.