PDA

View Full Version : Sears and Carvewright are splitsville!

Semper Fi
03-25-2008, 02:26 PM
My source at Sears just told me he got an email yesterday stating that Sears and LHR no longer have a contract and any Compucarve machines on order will be cancelled. That should end the debate on which machine to order.

Amonaug
03-25-2008, 03:31 PM
So does this mean that all of us that bought a machine from Sears with the extended warranty are screwed after the Carvewright warranty runs out?

Bflat5
03-25-2008, 03:37 PM
I'd imagine they'd have to honor the warranty they sold or give the money back.

Jeff_Birt
03-25-2008, 03:39 PM
and please bear in mind folks that this is just a rumor....

Router-Jim
03-25-2008, 03:39 PM
If that turns out to be true, then it's a darn shame. Sears always had those Craftsman Club sales on the CompuCarve. :(

Perhaps your friend was simply referring to the fact that Sears lost their exclusive distributorship with CarveWright.

Jeff_Birt
03-25-2008, 04:09 PM
Hey guys, I just heard from CW on this, here it is from the horses mouth...

"...we expect Sears to continue to carry the CompuCarve",

I hope that helps to clear things up. I know in my own dealings with large companies like Sears, that the left hand does not always know what the right hand is doing and it is very easy for something some guy says at 'corporate' to filter down to something completely different at the local level.

Now, we just have to wait for the next Sale at Sears :rolleyes:

nirmala
03-25-2008, 04:38 PM
This is our official position in regards to our relationship with Sears:

There has been no change in the relationship between Sears and LHR
regarding the CompuCarve. It has not ended. Due to the overwhelming demand
for the CompuCarve/CarveWright, there is a delay currently for new shipments
from the factory.

Dan-Woodman
03-25-2008, 04:54 PM
nirmala
What is the official word on Sears repairing this machine. Is Sears able to get parts from cw to repair this machine or does all sears machine that need service come to you?
later Daniel

badger
03-25-2008, 05:01 PM
I would imagine that LHR would have no comment on something another company is offering if the form of a warranty and that a representative from sears would have to answer just how their warranty is set up.

newcarver
03-25-2008, 05:47 PM
maybe they should if they are the ones doing the repairs. If sears has to send them to lhr for their warranty, lhr should have some input rather than let rumors run wild.

amanda0101
03-25-2008, 09:03 PM
I spoke with an LHR rep today who filled me in on some much needed information that Sears failed to tell me regarding difference of machine and the warranty. If you are concerned call and get information, everyone there is very nice and candid.

Amonaug
03-25-2008, 10:01 PM
Care to share the information you found?

fwharris
03-25-2008, 10:03 PM
I spoke with an LHR rep today who filled me in on some much needed information that Sears failed to tell me regarding difference of machine and the warranty. If you are concerned call and get information, everyone there is very nice and candid.

Amanda,

Can you share what they told you?

Did you get your machine back yet? Have not seen anything for a while.....

Semper Fi
03-26-2008, 09:06 AM
Yes, Amanda, I'm sure we would all be very interested in what you were told. There are a lot of conflicting information being presented and I, for one, would like to know what is the factual truth.

Paul Brown
03-26-2008, 11:15 AM
Here's ya some factual truth. When I called about 5 months ago, (Lhr) They told me that they did not honor the Sear's extended warranty. Because, I had read on here that people were purchasing the extended warranty through Sears. At the time that I purchased my machine back in June of last year, Sears said they didn't even offer an extended warranty at the time. But someone on the forum here listed the 8oo number for the warranty and I called and they said that they did start selling them back in November of last year. But when I take my machine to the shop in Pasadena they still say that they dont honor the Sears extended warranty. So, my warranty is bout to run out here within a few weeks, and I'm trying to wait someone out to see if Sears is gonna get in the ballgame here with their promise, or try and save my money. The said ya can still buy the extended warrnaty right up till the last minute of yours running out. I've posted this before, but thought I'd repost in case I can save someone some money or time. I Hope that anyone with good news dealing with the matter would keep us posted. Paul Brown

andes
03-26-2008, 11:54 AM
Ok, reading all of this, I have a question; "does LHR even offer a a extended warrenty"? And how long is the factory warrenty -- a year?

Andes

Semper Fi
03-26-2008, 12:07 PM
I think I can clear up a little bit of the confusion. Sears is selling THEIR protection agreement, which means they (Sears) will be doing the servicing, not LHR. Also, I bought mine from Sears after my LHR warranty ran out. The Sears rep. told me the only thing they wanted to know was the machine in good working condition at the time. Other than this, I know nothing else for sure. My machine is on its way to Syracuse repair center today and is supposed to be back next week.............. we'll see.

hotpop
03-26-2008, 12:36 PM
It sounds logical to me. Perhaps LHR is providing a special training for some Sears repair guys. After all Sears services everything else it sells. Sometimes you have to wait because they need to order parts from a manufacture.

It seems to me that this is the way things will eventually work out.

Paul Brown
03-26-2008, 01:19 PM
As of last trip to Pasadena which was a couple of months ago, the people in the shop doing the hands on repairs, said that they knew nothing of any plans for them to train anyone from Sears to repair the machines. But thats been a couple of months ago. A lot can happen in two months. And yes Andes, the warranty is only good for one year, or 200 hours of carving time. NO EXTENDED WARRANTY OFFERED. Believe me, with the trouble I've had with my machine, I've asked every question that I've seen asked on the forum and probably many more. I guess I just got one of the bad ones, but the good folks in the shop, (Shane, TC, Henry, Jose, Wes, Jody, Dianne, Amanda, David and whoever else I forgot) treated me like they really cared if things got repaired. And did it in a timley manner. Hats off to them. Paul Brown.

howsharbell
03-26-2008, 02:05 PM
I was told today from tech support that they are "not filling any orders to Sears at this time". Again, what ever that means, that was in response to my statement that I thought Sears had really crappy support of the compucarve systems. BTW, did you know that if you exchange a compucarve for a new one that the original purchase warranty is all you have? you don't renew your warranty even though it is a new machine...would have been nice to know. Again, Sears issue. I have many...just wished I had bought a carvewright...

amanda0101
03-27-2008, 11:14 AM
As far as I know, LHR does not honor or have an extended warranty. As for as Sears training people or servicing it themselves I have no idea. I would just call and ask LHR Sales department regarding the warranty issue and see what they advise.

fwharris
03-27-2008, 11:44 AM
I was told today from tech support that they are "not filling any orders to Sears at this time". Again, what ever that means, that was in response to my statement that I thought Sears had really crappy support of the compucarve systems. BTW, did you know that if you exchange a compucarve for a new one that the original purchase warranty is all you have? you don't renew your warranty even though it is a new machine...would have been nice to know. Again, Sears issue. I have many...just wished I had bought a carvewright...

Howsharbell,

Didn't you know that is how all warranties work? I have never been able to return anything under warranty and get a full new year or what ever on the new one. You need to read the small print

amanda0101
03-27-2008, 12:06 PM
usually works the same way. It doesn't seem fair but it's the way it goes for all tools and electronics.

Howsharbell,

Didn't you know that is how all warranties work? I have never been able to return anything under warranty and get a full new year or what ever on the new one. You need to read the small print

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
03-27-2008, 12:12 PM
Okay i just spoke with LHR here a few minutes ago. What my understanding is that Sears "is" honoring the extended warranty. And yes they sell one i have it right here in writing. "A legal binding contract". Well LHR says the way that works is that sears is the middleman and takes the machine and ships it to LHR for repairs then foots the bill and returns the machine to the owner at no expense due to the extended warranty. Now thats all my opinion on my understanding of the situation. Sounds good to me though, i think ill go carve a frame up for my sears extended warranty.

MikeMcCoy
03-27-2008, 12:29 PM
That's my understanding also. I stopped by Sears on Tuesday and rounded up the department manager to see what he knew. He said the procedure Twinpeaks outlined is what they were doing and had just did it recently.

amanda0101
03-27-2008, 01:09 PM
When I spoke to sears they had no idea what I was talking about. I just got off the phone with LHR and she said that they do not honor the warranties and she didn't know if they would even if Sears is footing the bill because "they haven't come across that yet since they don't honor the warranties" I am so confused at this point. Oh and this is on Sears not LHR but I know for a fact that Sears lied to me about the warranty because yesterday after talking to LHR about how they don't honor the warranty I got on the phone with a manager at Sears Warranty Center who said he had just contacted LHR and that there was no problem with them doing so since it was in the contract when they started selling compucarves. If they would have just said it is not honored by the manufacturer but we foot the bill it would have been more convincing. When I explained that I just talked to LHR they gave me my money back for the "non refundable" warranty, which I am not so sure is a good thing or a bad thing at this point because all I wanted to know is if the warranty was valid through either company. The manager at Sears who is a good friend of ours sent a letter up to corporate because the whole situation made him angry that he kept getting different answers from different reps. Grrr...

Amonaug
03-27-2008, 01:28 PM
I think what is confusing everyone is we are talking about 2 different warranties. Neither company honors the other's warranty. LHR will foot the repair bills under thier warranty (1 yr or 200 hours cut time).

Now if you have the Sear's warranty, after the LHR warranty runs out you deal for repairs through Sear's and not directly with LHR. At that point Sear's sends in the machine to LHR for repairs but Sear's foots the bill and shipping.

What LHR is saying is that basically if you have the Sear's extended warranty then you have to go through Sear's for the repairs, if you send the machine directly to LHR then LHR won't honor Sear's warranty and you will foot the bill.

amanda0101
03-27-2008, 01:44 PM
That has used the warranty and have had good or bad experiences with it? That would clear everything up.

scw
03-27-2008, 02:31 PM
I do this extended warranty thing for a living...here's how it works, both the good and the bad of it.

1) You buy a product with an "extended warranty"
1a) your product is under warranty by the MANUFACTURER for a limited time
1b) after MANUFACTURER warranty expires, your EXTENDED warranty kicks in
1c) details of the EXTENDED warranty are often unknown by the salesperson

2) MANUFACTURERS are not bound in anyway by the terms of EXTENDED warranty

3) The SELLING AGENT of the EXTENDED warranty may or may not hold the actual INSURANCE POLICY (your WARRANTY PROVIDER) which provides you with either repair, replacement, or purchase price refund of your product.
3a) The SELLING AGENT, and/or MANUFACTURER is NOT in control of, or responsible for, the reliability or timeliness of your repair.
3c) your EXTENDED WARRANTY is tracked from DATE OF PURCHASE and expires on that same date some year(s) in the future, no matter how many times or when it was last repaired.

4) The EXTENDED warranty PROVIDER will farm out your repair to a third party servicer , or return your unit to the MANUFACTURER (if they are contracted to do so) or repair it themselves.
4a) Generally, WARRANTY PROVIDERS will consider complete replacement of the product IF the repair costs including parts and labor exceed 75% of replacement cost of a new unit.
4b) details often unknown to the consumer are that the PROVIDER decalres in the extended warranty contract that they may use rebuilt,reclaimed and third party parts in your repair.
4c) There are no time limits placed on how long it may take. If parts are simply not available SOME contracts grant complete replacement, some do not.

5) The PROVIDER has entered into a contract with YOU to cover the cost of PARTS and LABOR or REPLACEMENT (depending on the details and lawyerspeak included in the fine print of the agreement)
5a) SHIPPING is not always covered (fine print)
5b) LOANERS are almost never offered (fine print)

The BOTTOM LINE is this- you are covered with an extended warranty contract. But you must know who "holds" that contract...and you must be patient.
There are no promises made about the cycle time of your repair.
Screaming at the sales squirrel at Sears will just get you confused responses.
Debating with LHR (if you are out of manufacturer warranty) will get you advice to contact Sears.

Find out from the guy selling you the extended warranty who holds the POLICY. He will probably reply "Sears does"...and that may well be true, but find out the details.

or as Forrest Gump says
"Extended Warranties are like a box of chocolates..........."

Cmdr.Rav
03-28-2008, 04:18 PM
Lol, wow wasn't there a post from LHR stating Sears and LHR are still partners and the CC is still being sold? I would imagine the extended warranty would still apply? I know some local outlets Sears stores will not sell the CC due to all the issues. Other then that the main stores still are selling the machine.

Oh Amanda I see you changed your hair color!

Rav

amanda0101
03-28-2008, 06:09 PM
Yes I did, it happens about 1 every two months. :D

Cmdr.Rav
03-28-2008, 06:12 PM
Ah it looks great!

Rav

amanda0101
03-28-2008, 07:16 PM
Well I appreciate it

Ah it looks great!

Rav

SandBuoy
03-28-2008, 09:16 PM
I tried that once and the girl still threw stones at me. Looks great Amanda and where are some project. You always turn of some nice stuff..been awhile.

Semper Fi
05-10-2008, 11:38 AM
My contact at Sears, who is a store owner, received this letter yesterday from hq. I saw the official letter, so this is not some rumor that somebody dreamed up.

" 7. CompuCarve

Immediate

Issue: The CompuCarve, item # 21754, is not available at this time with no ETA on its return.

· There are no more of this unit left in any RRCs or in stores.-----(WAREHOUSES)

· Any back orders that are/were out there on this item have been cancelled and will not be shipped.

Action: Please remove all display units and any related literature from your sales floor and store it in your stock room and wait for further instruction.

· If you have a customer repair issue, please send it to the following address for repair:

Sears Service Unit 9289

3845 Grader St.
Garland, TX 75041 "

Doesn't look good if we need to get a replacement under the Master Protection Agreement when they say they can't fix the machine. Mine has been at the Texas facility for over 4 weeks and they say they are awaiting parts, but have no eta on the parts getting there. Seeing how Carvewright has 633 machines in stock right now, it would seem a divorce is in the works! Drat!!

gsrice
05-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Hi --

Tring to find replacements for 2 bad ones -- concerned --

Checked the SEARS site couple of minutes ago, still listed, and on sale.

Greg

Dan-Woodman
05-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Kind of sounds like everyone who has a sears warrenty needs to cancel and get a refund immediately.Hopefully they will refund any unused time on it.

later Daniel

fyrpuppy
05-10-2008, 09:42 PM
I was just in sears today picking up my 1/8 cutting bits I ordered (3 weeks ago) and they still had the display in store.

mwildes
05-11-2008, 05:54 AM
Our local Ford dealer has a Model-T on display too.......... I'd have the same luck trying to order either.

Semper Fi
05-11-2008, 07:21 AM
Daniel, I'd love to do that and get my money back, but the fact remains they have my machine down in Texas and I guess I'm at their mercy right now. I'm really concerned about what is happening to it. They have ordered parts that had no problems and I haven't heard anything about the problems that I reported on the machine when I sent it in. Traction belt assemblies and spindles do not fix memory card or reader issues, or Z axis problems.

gsrice
05-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Ernie : I'm kinda questioning if that would make it right -- I figured when I purchased the machine and extended warn. -- that it is a contract -- they offered a service, which was to keep my machine running, if I paid'm and played by the rules they listed in the agreement --

I paid'm, and am abiding by the rules, they are a multi-billion dollar company -- now -- its time for them step up an make it right for us -- not just say -- opps -- we're not going to make any money, made a mistake -- here's your money back -- now go away --

If, as is the case in most products where I have purchased an ext. warn. I have not needed any repairs -- I didn't send them a letter saying didn't need your service, so give me my $'s back -- let alone the fact I purchased my stuff on a Sears Credit Card, they've had no problem racking up the interest payments while I'm out my toys.

Sears needs to step up -- not screw loyal customers --

They're not the only tool supplier on the block, -- the old saying in sales was one happy customer will bring in another -- one unhappy one will cost you a hundred --

I got no problem, (if necessary) taking this into other channels to force them to make it right.

These guys canceled my first ext. warn. saying they did offer it for the CC, then called a month later offering it for $300 more -- time for sears to make it right -- not only for me but every one you believed them, and showed that faith by buying a product and service with their name on it.

Greg

beachman
05-12-2008, 08:21 AM
I prefer to have the machine,sears just needs to let the public know what they plan to do as far as sales and support of the machine.Mine is on it's second Texas vacation with sears,not haveing been fixed on the first trip.I just want it fixed(includeing the things they have broken since i took it to them)and returned to me.

Digitalwoodshop
05-12-2008, 09:11 AM
About now the Lawyers on both sides are reading the fine print on the joint contract....

AL

beachman
05-12-2008, 09:59 AM
This could end up being a three legged lawyer race....lol