PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and a Question

rue
03-25-2008, 10:35 AM
Hello everyone! I thought I'd introduce myself and thank everyone since I've been reading this forum for about a week getting myself better acquainted with some first-hand knowledge of how the machine performs. Your insights have been priceless. I can't wait to put some of the things I've been designing to the test and hopefully making some great projects.

One bit of info I didn't happen upon through all the forums, though:

Is it possible to set the distance a carve stands apart from another carve? I know I can edit how far away from the x and y axes as well as all four edges the carve rests, but I'd like to be able to set a displacement away from two carvings. Originally, I thought, "well I'll just set one carving a distance x away from one axis, then I'll do the math to figure out the distance y I should set the second carving away from the same axis." The problem I am having is there are multiple carvings I would like to set the distance away from each other, and they vary in size. Also, some rest above the axis I'm using, and some rest below. The software measures a distance from the x-axis to the bottom of the carving when it rests above the axis, and from x-axis to the top of the carve when it rests below. This is making it difficult for me to make the calculations because the measurements are not consistent.

Specifically, I'm trying to do this:

Small Text Here
Larger Text Here
Small Text Here
Larger Text Here

etc... a total of 8 times, while keeping a consistent amount of space between each line so it looks even and not staggered. See my difficulty?

If worse comes to worse, well, I am a 3rd year mathematics major, so I guess I shouldn't shy from the challenge of taking the width measurement of each text and calculating the distance from the axis that way, but I'm just curious if anyone knows of an easier course. Thanks in advance.

Icutone2
03-25-2008, 10:42 AM
Greetings and Welcome!
How a bought using the grid spacing and snap to grid. That will let you center and align your text on the board.;) just my thought.

hotpop
03-25-2008, 10:58 AM
I agree that setting up elements and locating every thing with x-y coordinates is real a pain. I usually set my elements on the grid. You can set and snap to the grid down to 1/32" if you want. Put your first set of elements into a group. Then you can copy the group to various other places.

rue
03-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Thanks guys. I think I've figured out a way to go about it. I used the attachment tool to set all 8 carves to attach to the bottom edge of the board. With a consistent reference point, it was much, much easier to set each distance for consistent spacing.

i.e.
Carve #1 I set 7.2 inches from the bottom of the carve to the bottom board edge.
Carve #2 I set 6.2 inches from the bottom of the carve to the bottom board edge.
Carve #3 I set 5.2 ...

...and so on and so on. It was the grid suggestion that lit that light bulb, so thanks again. Now I pray that the machine can handle what I'm asking of it. :D