PDA

View Full Version : center vs place on end

optionman
03-24-2008, 09:18 AM
what exactly will cw do if i choose place on the end? what end?

also, if i use a sled with rails slightly higher than my carving surface, obviously the rollers will aways be in contact with the rails throughout. what length will the cw measure, the entire length of the sled or the length of the object piece inside the rails?

also, if i use a sled/carrier and want to rout the edges of my project board, won't the router bit ruin my end-pieces?

Digitalwoodshop
03-24-2008, 11:22 AM
I can answer the first question the others I don't know for sure.

Place on end places or starts the project on the end of the board that you feed first. In designer that is the right side of the board.

For my carrier boards I use a scrap piece of wood taped to the 1/4 inch plywood the same width as my 1/4 inch plywood. I then bump up to that scrap piece a piece of good wood. I can leave it long and cut it off later or use a smaller piece and place another scrap block after the good wood. Held with masking tape it works.

In designer I draw a box slightly bigger than my scrap wood and place it on the right end of the board. I then start my artwork from that point as that is where the good wood starts.

This gives me great use of wood. Remember to use masking tape on your sled. Masking tape is cheaper than wood and gives the brass roller something to grip.

Lots of luck,

AL

optionman
03-24-2008, 11:37 AM
what is confusing me is that the machine carves upside down and backwards, so in order to leave room for the scrap wood on the RIGHT side of project, wouldn't you need to put the box in designer on the left side so that its flipped to the right when the cw carves?

DocWheeler
03-24-2008, 01:35 PM
As you said, the right/left thing is confusing. Al is correct that the right side of what you see in Designer goes into the machine in such a way that it is the end that gets measured from first. The manual calls this the Left side of the X axis (because it is on your left when facing the keypad I suppose).

The top of what you see in Designer is toward the keypad so no you would not put the box on the left in Designer. See attached and imagine your project is loaded into it.

auriclux
03-24-2008, 07:00 PM
If you walk around to the non-keypad side of the CW and look at your board, I think you see, or will see, what you see in Designer. Is this true?

Still confusing though.

AskBud
03-24-2008, 07:29 PM
Let's try looking at the process this way and see if it fits.
When I design the project it may look just the same as any other standard written document (Left to Right).

When that project comes out of the machine, the first thing out, is the Left side of the board.

You may change the wording to Top/Bottom/Left but the concept should be the same (First-In, First-Out).
AskBud

optionman
03-25-2008, 09:08 AM
we should have a standard when we talk left/right,etc,.. i always assume i'm looking at the cw from the keypad side and make all my comments from this reference point.

With that being said, (and assuming i tell designer to use my sled size) when using a sled with rails slightly higher than the project surface, if i tell the cw to place the carving on the end (not centered on width), i need to leave 3.5" on the right side of my sled (as looking from the keypad), and obviously not put anything within 3.5" on either side in designer.

hotpop
03-25-2008, 09:48 AM
optionman,

With that being said, (and assuming i tell designer to use my sled size) when using a sled with rails slightly higher than the project surface, if i tell the cw to place the carving on the end (not centered on width), i need to leave 3.5" on the right side of my sled (as looking from the keypad), and obviously not put anything within 3.5" on either side in designer.

First, Do not tell Designer you are using a sled. It is not necessary. Design your project and set your virtual board size to what ever your finished size is going to be.

When I make a sled I always put 3.5" or larger blocks on each end. If I need side rails on the sled and I seldom do, I make sure the sides and end blocks are the same height as my project board. I make sure the two end blocks are the same size and the side rails are both the same width. This centers the board on the sled. I tell the machine to center on the length and center on the width if I have side rails.

optionman
03-25-2008, 09:56 AM
totally a hypothetical just to get the pic clear in my mind

Jeff_Birt
03-25-2008, 10:45 AM
optionman, the users guide shows a picture with the naming convention for talking about the machine...(what is front, rear, etc)

hotpop
03-25-2008, 11:08 AM
It seems to me that if the LHR designers put the LED and Crank Handle of the opposite side of the machine it would have prevented a lot of confusion. :rolleyes:

Kenm810
03-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Hey Mel,
Are you talking about CarveWright's Left Handed Machine. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

hotpop
03-25-2008, 11:10 PM
Hey Ken,

That's exactly the machine I'm looking for. How did you get a hold of one of the prototypes?

Kenm810
03-26-2008, 06:53 AM
Mel,

They're really quite new, you have to call the 1-800 number at CW and special order one.
I don't think Sears is going to carry or offer them, they had way to many problems in the past few years
with their line of Left Handed Wrecking Bars and Hammers,
not to even mention the confusion their sets of Left Handed Screw Drivers caused.
Although I'm sure, seeing the side of the road they drive on, they would be very popular
in Great Britain and Europe when that market opens up to CarveWright.

sirsumm
03-26-2008, 07:31 AM
Ken,
They say that left handed people are more likely to have injuries in the workplace, so do you suppose a left handed CW would have to spend more time in for repair at CW?

Jason

:D

Kenm810
03-26-2008, 10:22 AM
Jason,

Good thought, I had never considered the extra time involved in locating the proper left handed tools needed to work on these machines, let alone being able to find and hire technicians that can work equally well with tools in either hand.
All in all I feel confident LHR has some of the best techs around and that they are well suited to the job at hand.
We've lately found that several of our Employees have turned out to show signs of ambidexterity, which is the state of being equally adept in the use of both appendages "in our case" feet while running out of the building when the 5:00 bell rings.

Jeff_Birt
03-26-2008, 10:53 AM
The hardest tool to locate is the left-handed, metric, adjustable wrench...;)

Kenm810
03-26-2008, 11:08 AM
Jeff your right,

Here's one that my Grand Dad brought over with him from the "Old Country"

fwharris
03-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Is this the same as the nails with the heads on opposite ends. Heads on the right for the right side of the board and left for the left side of the board?

Kenm810
03-26-2008, 11:40 AM
fwharris,

Ya, When I was much younger, I noticed that with drywall screws too.
When ever I grabbed a hand full out of the box nearly half the screws heads were on the wrong end,
--- Until my older brother explained those screws were for the wall on the other end of the room.

hotpop
03-26-2008, 11:52 AM
Ken,

Can you tell us about some of the new features you found on the prototype. I plan on getting another CW this summer maybe the new left handers machine will be in production by then.

Can you tell us about some of the new features you found on the prototype.

It don't take much to get you guys started does it.

fwharris
03-26-2008, 11:56 AM
fwharris,

Ya, When I was much younger, I noticed that with drywall screws too.
When ever I grabbed a hand full out of the box nearly half the screws heads were on the wrong end,
--- Until my older brother explained those screws were for the wall on the other end of the room.

My Grandfather would just toss the nails with the wrong heads away! Couldn't figure out how a simple process could get so screwed up.....:p

Kenm810
03-26-2008, 03:59 PM
Mel,

If in fact it was the prototype for the CarveWright Machine MarkII
I could only hope it has at least half the suggestions mentioned in the
CW Forum's wish list for Designer and the machine. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif

Ps If I remember right it was about a year ago
We were speculating what a new CW Machine from Texas
would look like -- with all the bell and whistles added.