PDA

View Full Version : This makes no sense

optionman
03-23-2008, 02:05 PM
how come if i put in a new piece of wood, crank down and hit 7, the machine (almost without fail) will go thru the measuring process and give me an accurate reading, but if i immediately try to load a project, the machine (almost without fail) tells me to check for board problem after i tell it to stay under the rollers. it tries to measure again (to see if i have 3.5inches on either side) and fails as soon as the wood passes to the right of the left pressure roller?

P.S. after 2 hours of trying to load a project after the machine measures the wood without a hitch, i finally was sucessful but only after the following:
1) after the machine remeasured and prompted whether to center on length, everytime i hit enter the board would continue measuring and then give a board error message:
2)after the machine remeasured and prompted whether to center on length, i chose to jog to positon, center and like magic the machine finished the set-up and began carving.

very weird

mtylerfl
03-23-2008, 03:47 PM
Hello,

Could be a host of reasons, but...

...is the board flat (not cupped)?
...are the board edges square and not damaged in any way (no dents, chips)?
...is the board too dark?
...is the O-Ring on the brass roller sensor in good shape (not flattened) and in correct positon?

Jeff_Birt
03-23-2008, 03:52 PM
What firmware version? What thickness/color of wood?

Digitalwoodshop
03-23-2008, 03:56 PM
Make a copy of your project and rename it. Go to board size and change the board sized to -7 inches from what you have now. Scale down the project to fit on the board, you are not going to cut this board. I then want you to using the same board go through the same steps and tell us what happens. You can stop it just before it starts routing the figure by opening the lid and pressing stop.

You get:

1. Same problem

2. Everything magically works when the board is physically 7 inches longer in real life from designer.

Let us know,

AL

Not trying to be a smart @$$ but everyone is jumping on this and it could be as simple as a stuck roller...

Dave-Carve
03-23-2008, 04:02 PM
Just A Bumb thought But Is The Board Wide enough ???:rolleyes:

John
03-23-2008, 04:08 PM
how come if i put in a new piece of wood, crank down and hit 7, the machine (almost without fail) will go thru the measuring process and give me an accurate reading, but if i immediately try to load a project, the machine (almost without fail) tells me to check for board problem after i tell it to stay under the rollers. it tries to measure again (to see if i have 3.5inches on either side) and fails as soon as the wood passes to the right of the left pressure roller?

P.S. after 2 hours of trying to load a project after the machine measures the wood without a hitch, i finally was sucessful but only after the following:
1) after the machine remeasured and prompted whether to center on length, everytime i hit enter the board would continue measuring and then give a board error message:
2)after the machine remeasured and prompted whether to center on length, i chose to jog to positon, center and like magic the machine finished the set-up and began carving.

very weird

I have had this exact problem. Cleaning the board sensor solved it for me.

optionman
03-23-2008, 04:19 PM
i did notice when i cleaned the cs earlier today that the o-ring on the rear roller was a little out of shape.

optionman
03-23-2008, 04:23 PM
i did notice when i cleaned the cs earlier today that the o-ring on the rear roller was a little out of shape. the wood is maple 13/16 thick, doesn't appear cupped. i put painters tape on edges and do notice that all the measuring causes a little of the tape about 25% in front the left to peal/rip slightly (obviously the board is not true).

mtylerfl
03-23-2008, 07:19 PM
i did notice when i cleaned the cs earlier today that the o-ring on the rear roller was a little out of shape. the wood is maple 13/16 thick, doesn't appear cupped. i put painters tape on edges and do notice that all the measuring causes a little of the tape about 25% in front the left to peal/rip slightly (obviously the board is not true).

I had a customer recently report a similar problem as yours - he noticed that the O-ring was mis-shapen (ever so slightly flattened). He bought a 7/16" O-ring at a local home center, replaced it and that cured the problem for him, at least. Hopefully, it will be that simple for you as well. (Still, it could be something else causing it, of course).