PDA

View Full Version : Flex Shaft Guide and Vibration Issues

RudeDog
03-23-2008, 10:33 AM
My machine got here Friday! I've had one session, mostly running it through the paces to see what it could do. When NASA put that new robot arm on the space station, they didn't start out the first day by doing a serious project; they just made sure the thing worked like it as supposed to. I did the same. :smile:

Flex Shaft Vibration

When cutting cross grain with the 3/8" classic bit on walnut, the flex shaft vibrates enough to come off of the end of that wire guide that runs along the shaft. The end of the guide is not bound to the flex shaft. It is bound lower down.

The vibration is not excessive, nor did it cause any noticable chatter on the work surface. If I put the guide back on the flex shaft, it would stay for a while, then come off again.

Do you expirenced guys usually bind the end of the guide to the sheath? Also, is a little shaft vibration normal?

Thanks
Rick

pkunk
03-23-2008, 10:53 AM
Sounds normal. Bigger bits chatter more than the carving bit. I use a cable tie, but loose. Don't bind it tight to the flex shaft.

Kenm810
03-23-2008, 11:03 AM
Rick, like Pkunk just said

It is not uncommon, the flex-Shaft will vibrate and shake to different degrees depending on what you may be carving or which bits you happen to be using.
I keep mine in place with a light wrap of vinyl electricians tape at a couple of spots along the wire guide, with no problems.
A few Folks left the shipping tie wrap on to tight and it caused the flex-Shaft to bind, and over heat in hot spots, that can and will damage the Shaft and the machine.