PDA

View Full Version : Photos in Wood

bartboyette
03-22-2008, 11:45 PM
Hi I'm Bart a new user I would like to know how to carve a photo on to wood? Does anyone have a way of doing it?

hotpop
03-23-2008, 08:22 AM
Bert

The trick to carving photos in wood is the work you need to do on the photo before hand. You need to bring the photo into into a graphics program and erase everything you do not want to carve. If it is a portrait you would erase all the background behind the image. Remember that the darker areas will carve deeper then the lighter areas. I sometimes reduce the contrast of the overall all picture after looking at it in Designer.

After editing be sure to save the file with a PNG file extension before bringing it into Designer.

rjustice
03-23-2008, 09:56 AM
Hi Bart...
Welcome to the forum.. We have recently had a forum member introduce us to a new method for carving photos. See this thread http://www.carvewright.com/forum3/showthread.php?t=6693 I have not tried it myself yet, but the work he has posted from using this method is very impressive.
I would consider photo carving a more advanced technique that the machine is capable of doing. If you find yourself getting frustrated with the outcome, back up and do some of the "canned" designs that came with the software. Do some editing and get the hang of how the depth, and height settings work, and how they affect the results. This will give you a better foundation to build on for the more advanced work.
Remember "Search" is your friend!... there is a wealth of knowledge and experience hidden in this forum. We love to see pictures of your work, so post often!

Good Luck, and Happy Carving!

Ron

RabidRed
01-31-2009, 08:44 AM
Hi Bart...
Welcome to the forum.. We have recently had a forum member introduce us to a new method for carving photos. See this thread http://www.carvewright.com/forum3/showthread.php?t=6693 I have not tried it myself yet, but the work he has posted from using this method is very impressive.
I would consider photo carving a more advanced technique that the machine is capable of doing. If you find yourself getting frustrated with the outcome, back up and do some of the "canned" designs that came with the software. Do some editing and get the hang of how the depth, and height settings work, and how they affect the results. This will give you a better foundation to build on for the more advanced work.
Remember "Search" is your friend!... there is a wealth of knowledge and experience hidden in this forum. We love to see pictures of your work, so post often!

Good Luck, and Happy Carving!

Ron

The link doesn't work.....:( Could you see what is wrong please?

Ken Massingale
01-31-2009, 08:50 AM
The link doesn't work.....:( Could you see what is wrong please?
I think the link was to a thread on Lithophanes. Search on that word and you'll have a days worth of reading.
ken

RabidRed
01-31-2009, 08:58 AM
I worked this over in Photoshop. I have never done this before and just got my CW today. Any suggestions?http://www.okroadrunner.com/jw/images/OUhelmetgrey2.png

Digitalwoodshop
01-31-2009, 01:54 PM
Before I knew Chris very well, I had this done by Michael Tyler of CarveBuddy.

A line drawing to a 3D.

AL

mgnagy
02-04-2009, 05:52 PM
I've noticed that the stain on the wood seems to make a huge difference when working with photos.

Digitalwoodshop
02-05-2009, 09:41 AM
All the exposed wood fibers sucking up the stain... You could selectively paint a sanding sealer in areas you don't want to get that dark.

AL