PDA

View Full Version : Y axis stall

gbusby
03-22-2008, 01:45 PM
Hi to all. I am new to this and I found out when the machine works it is great, but each time it is a crap shoot. This is my latest problem. When I go to carve a patern it makes 2 or 3 passes then I get an error code 232 Z axis stall. Any ideas on what can I do to fix this? I have used an air compressor to blow it out and a vacume to clean it but no joy.

Jeff_Birt
03-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Without seeing what you were carving or a picture of the stock it is hard saying. Can you take a picture of what it did carve and post the picture and MPC file? Also, you can use the 'Search' function to look for similar problems. Oh, and what version of Designer and firmware are you using?

pwills3308@mchsi.com
03-25-2008, 05:50 PM
have installed my up date kit for Z drive and when I turned the machine on to test made it paqst the point where the Zerror code was but got a message that the Y axles stalled then next line reaad error code236. have put a call into support this morning still waiting for a callback, is there any thing I could try befor I git a call?

Rmduval
03-25-2008, 06:27 PM
I have had my machine for about a month now. I started to do a carving and got a z axis stall. I called carvewright and they said it was the z axis motor and they would send me out another. I took them about a month to get it right they sent me a used z axis motor. I called them and they wanted pictures of the motor so I emailed them the pictures. They sent me out another z axis motor it was used. To make this short I found that if you format the card and put the firmware back on the card and load the project and try it again it works fine. Something is up with the firmware down load to the card.

Another thing that I have found is the machine is not grounded.Grounding through the netural of the power is not a true ground. You have a vacum made out of plastic and you are sucking up sawdust that make for static charge and this charge can be great. If it discharges to the electronics not to ground no more machine. I've been watching the forum and seen alot of problems with the electronics failing.

Digitalwoodshop
03-25-2008, 07:55 PM
If you place "Static" in the search block with the " " on both ends and read all the posts about static you will find you are right. Static Kills the machine. Operator Error causes the static that kills the machine. You just need to read the proper way to clean the machine.

As for grounding there is a bunch of posts about grounding the dust collector as I do and I also run a ground wire from the dust collector to the carve machine out feed table. I also use dryer vent hose and ground that too.

The first machines had a 3 wire ground plug. After the UL certification they made it similar to "Double Insulated" tools and no ground.

Some plastic Vacuum Hoses produce more static than others.

As far as electronics failing. Power Supplies fail due to vibration of the L2 coil if not glued properly. Board Detectors fail due to vibration. New sensors are sealed and will last a very long time.

Other than that, stuck switches impacted with dust, cables fail over time when flexing.

Enjoy your reading.

AL

pwills3308@mchsi.com
03-26-2008, 10:39 AM
didn't get as far starting project, got as far as machine homing in, then message of Y axis stalled, press STOP. I call yesterday and am still waiting a callback. Will go ahead and ground machine to external ground, and reload my card. Are there any other thing I can try?

Jeff_Birt
03-26-2008, 10:56 AM
Does you Y-axis hit anything? Shut the power off, wait 1 minute, and then slowly slide the Y-axis back and forth. Does it move easily?

bulldog527
03-26-2008, 07:42 PM
What is the best way to ground for this type of static discharge? My machine went down 4 days ago and after reading here I think that may be what happened to it. I was going to have Sears replace the machine (only had it 5 weeks) but they can't even order any because they say there is a national back-order for them. Now its in their repair system. Wish me luck.