PDA

View Full Version : Traction Belt Issue

Ken Massingale
03-22-2008, 01:27 PM
When cleaning the machine last night after a carve I noticed something near the edge of the right (facing the keypad) traction belt. Near the edge the belt is worn through, completely in one place and thin in another place. The areas are the same distance from the edge of the belt and about 8" apart. They are not torn.
Here's a poor pic from my phone. I know, and support confirmed that belts are covered under warranty, but what can cause the belts to wear thru like this? The head pressure is correct and the head is level. I have about 10 hours on the machine and I only use jointed and planed lumber, and give the boards a final trip through the drum sander at 220 grit before using in the carver.
Thanks
ken

Jeff_Birt
03-22-2008, 02:01 PM
If I were to guess I would say you are seeing the effects of board slippage caused by the read guide plate being tight against the wood. (Or the sides of your wood not being parallel.

Ken Massingale
03-22-2008, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the reply, Jeff. Are you referring to the sliding guide plate? I adjust it so that it barely touches the stock and then check that the stock can slide freely end-to-end.
I'd like to find what caused this before I install a new set of belts.
ken

DocWheeler
03-22-2008, 04:53 PM
Ken,

Your post sure got my attention since I'm having a similar problem.
I had a belt tear at the edge at the brass sensor and replaced only that one belt. One or two carvings later, the other belt tore on that end also. When I examined it, the area at the start of the tear was abraded as if something had jambed it and scratched the surface badly (ended up tearing about two inches off the belt).

I then replaced the second belt (so both now had new belts) and on the next carve the last belt that I installed was torn in the same place (only 1/2" wide tear) and again looked as though something had jambed it.

Since I made sure that the belts were positioned correctly by both examining them before installing them and then moving the belts manually after installation, I could not figure what caused it.

I took both belt mechanisms out and looked for anything that could be around or under that area and came up short. I just turned the belt around, slipped it to the center, and ordered more belts. I am looking for the cause and would certainly like someone to help fix it.

www.go3d.us
03-22-2008, 05:22 PM
I'm wondering if sawdust can get into or under the belt and stick to the roller over time causing unbalance rolling?
It hard to get the dust out if it get in there.

HT

Jeff_Birt
03-22-2008, 05:24 PM
You guys might also check that your heads are on level...the CW's head I mean :p

If there is more pressure on the front of the machine it might have an adverse effect on the belts on that edge.

Ken Massingale
03-22-2008, 06:23 PM
Mine measures level, uh, my CC's head measures level. ;-)

Jeff, what's your condition related to the flooding in Missouri? Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you folks suffering out there.
ken

Jeff_Birt
03-22-2008, 07:40 PM
We are in the area that got all the rain, but it all drains away from here. There are several areas around us in bad shape. I think the worst of it will be over tomorrow night.

Go ahaed and check your down pressure to be sure.

David Myers
03-24-2008, 07:14 AM
I tore a belt last week and had to change out my belts. When I removed them I was surprised at how much dust and debris had gotten into the hollow cavity of the plates that the belts ride around. I'm sure this was one of the problems that caused the problem of my belt tearing. I had done a lot of Corian carves and a piece of Corian got under the belt and when I loaded an oak board and the machine went to measure it, it caught and tore the belt. It made a bad sound as the board slipped and the belt tore I knew right away from the sound what had happened. I would suggest that you occasionally remove the belts and clean out the cavity with compressed air. Removing the belts is very easy. Two screws on the right guide plate, remove the guide plate, four screws hold down the belts and remove the gear cover and thats about it. All it takes is about 5 minutes. Remember to re-align the right guide plate to be parallel with the left guide plate.

David