PDA

View Full Version : I really, really want to like this machine! (long)

Bmac
03-22-2008, 11:01 AM
I purchased, unknowingly, one of the last 'beta' machines. I had a number of problems from the start, all taken care of under warranty. I think that when the warranty ran out, I had about 12hrs on the machine. (this is due partly to my work schedule, partly to the machine’s issues). I received the offer to 'upgrade' last year. Honestly, I had a difficult time justifying the additional cost, given my experience with the machine.

So, I held off, until last month. I sent the machine back, paid the upgrade fee and (because of my work schedule, again) waited until last Thursday to receive the new, well, 'refurbished' machine.

Opening the box, I found that I'm no longer the owner of a 'Carvewright', but a CompuCarve. Not a big deal, it's only cosmetic, anyway. Put it up on its stand, inserted the card, power on and Voila!....no, wait a minute! No Voila!, at all. Nothing, nada.

I rolled the machine over, knowing that as a 'refurbished' machine, someone had gone over it, insuring it was within specs, took off the bottom cover and started checking wires.

Switch, OK. Power supply, OK. Wait! the lead from the power supply doesn't seem too tight! That's probably it. Wiggled the wires and whoa!, socket and all fell out of the circuit board. No evidence of solder on the connections at all.

AND, it's 4:30 on a Friday. So now I have to wait until Monday to even begin the process!

As I said in the title,...I really do want to like this thing. But with close to $2900 into it so far, for a machine that's selling at Sears today for 1804, I'm not sure I can for much longer.

Sorry for venting, but it is frustrating.

Jeff_Birt
03-22-2008, 11:51 AM
They have techs there on Saturday to answer the phone. Give them a call now.

newcarver
03-22-2008, 12:06 PM
From the recent amount of posts about machines returning from lhr still not working and such it is very eveident that they need to revamp their service and qc. Issues like this are simply not acceptable to the general public on any basis. The recent quanity of post about this should red flag the problem and create the need to overhaul some part of the process. I have had this myself in the past, sent the machine in to be repaired per lhr request due to a cracked housing, i was told it had to be sent in to repair it, got it back and it was not fixed, The issue was a z motor housing, even though i was told the z motor was replaced, the cracked housing still existed, telling me it was surely not replaced. Not venting or cranking on lhr here, simply saying it is time for an upgrade on service issues like this, i have had more good fixes from them than bad, but at the cost of sending the machine in weather it is my cost or theirs, quality should be at the top of the list.

Thorn
03-22-2008, 03:01 PM
I have to agree with you guys 3 weeks $ 2,000 dollars spent and more time talking to tech support and fixing my own machine and only a few carvings done only for it to break again .

Bmac
03-22-2008, 07:33 PM
I got in touch with Tech Support, Thanks, Jeff. I wasn't aware that they were working Saturdays.

I was able to fix the problem, pulled the power supply and resoldered the power connector and a capacitor that looked as if it had been missed as well.

Now to try carving something!

Jeff_Birt
03-22-2008, 07:34 PM
Great! I'm glad to hear you got it going. Be sure to post a picture of your carving...