PDA

View Full Version : what bit in software

hummer1968
03-22-2008, 05:13 AM
ok I just bought a few patterns and loaded it in the software but now on the carve listings I see that they show the bit picture and I click on it and hit bit select to see what bit was used but it brings up a box but doesn't highlight what bit is used. The reason I need to know is I have a few different router bits that are made for the machine but don't want to start a project that I don't have the bit for when the machine starts up. I would think that the software would let you click on the area for the bit and when you hit select bit it would highlight the one that is currently used.

Kenm810
03-22-2008, 06:53 AM
For me Normaly, if I load a pattern and view each of the cuts in the cut list in Designer, and it doesn't highlight a bit it means the cut or carving has is going to use only the default bit, which is the tapered carving bit that comes with you machine along with the 1/8" straight cutting bit, in all other patterns cuts the proper bit will be highlighted. You'll also find the the machine asks you to load each bit that is going to be used in a carving and checks it, so you don't start a project that requires a bit you don't have before the carving process begins, later the machine stops the carving and asks for the proper bits again as they are needed. When carving vector patterns or using Center line text the designer software will ask you which V-Groove bit you want to use 60 or 90 Degree.

ChrisAlb
03-22-2008, 07:55 AM
ok I just bought a few patterns and loaded it in the software but now on the carve listings I see that they show the bit picture and I click on it and hit bit select to see what bit was used but it brings up a box but doesn't highlight what bit is used. The reason I need to know is I have a few different router bits that are made for the machine but don't want to start a project that I don't have the bit for when the machine starts up. I would think that the software would let you click on the area for the bit and when you hit select bit it would highlight the one that is currently used.

Hi Hummer and welcome,

Did you buy Patterns (PTN) files or Projects (MPC) files?

Patterns ALWAYS "Carve" using the carving bit only. But Projects can contain multiple bits.

If you load one of these you bought and you see "anything" in the cut list other than a single pattern, Then you bought a "Project" MPC file and you should be able to see what bits are associated with the project.

Chris

hummer1968
03-22-2008, 11:23 AM
acutally it is an mpc file but doesn't say what bits were used and I know the routing around the edges weren't with the carving bit but a router bit and wanted to be able to tell which it was. I tryed to click on the carving list on the bit but when I hit the bit select it pops a window open and shows different types without having one hilighted. The mpc was also one of the free ones that I got off a site that had about 50 different mpc for free

www.go3d.us
03-22-2008, 11:30 AM
Hi, Default bit setting for carving pattern is 1/16 ball nose. However, you can change that by going to "Edit -> Board Settings -> Pattern bit"...in there you can see what bit was used and change the bit and see the effect right on screen.
The software does not allow to change the bit for individual pattern. Changing bit in board setting will effect the whole project.

Hope this help.
HT

ChrisAlb
03-22-2008, 11:35 AM
acutally it is an mpc file but doesn't say what bits were used and I know the routing around the edges weren't with the carving bit but a router bit and wanted to be able to tell which it was. I tryed to click on the carving list on the bit but when I hit the bit select it pops a window open and shows different types without having one hilighted. The mpc was also one of the free ones that I got off a site that had about 50 different mpc for free

Strange, I've never opened an MPC and not had access to all the bit's included in the carve. Where did you buy it? I'd go to them and ask these questions.

We trade MPC's back and forth in here all the time and any bits used are both, able to be seen and/or changed.

hummer1968
03-22-2008, 02:16 PM
guess I am not explaining it right. I mean when I select to change the bit it shows all of them but doesn't hightlight which is being used for that one routing. I would think that when you right click on the bit in the carving list or on the edge rout in the carving list it and you go to select bit the window would pop up with the bit HIGHLIGHTED that is used but then you can select other ones. I can select other ones but would be nice to know which is used on the mpc that I got for free. Right now I just look at the pic really well and try different bits till I get the same as before that is how I can tell now. But thanks for your replies i guess I am not explaining it enough but I don't know how else to explain it. Would be nice if the software would at least show the bit used when you right click on it in the carving list

Amonaug
03-22-2008, 02:29 PM
Strange, for example the jewelry box .mpc on the carvewright site under projects has paths with a 3/8" bit used. If you select the path in the carve list then select bit the 3/8" straight bit is highlighted in tan.

You color settings may be different and the highlight is just too light to notice?

hummer1968
03-22-2008, 04:14 PM
ok got that fixed I think I just redid my whole monitor scheme and had to lower the contrast all the way done and now I see a faint color blue for the high-lighted bit. Makes it easier but still hard to see but guess I will have to deal with it be nice if the software would have a check mark box then or maybe I am one of the few that have this problem but thanks for the suggestion on my color scheme that did prove to be my problem.

hummer1968
03-22-2008, 04:34 PM
ok finally went to my desktop scheme settings and had to get out of the media color or the windows xp color scheme found it best to try a different scheme under appereance in the display properties now I see it all fine thanks again for the help