PDA

View Full Version : Sign using March Tips and Tricks from MT

cnsranch
03-21-2008, 03:09 PM
What do you think of the attached - Tips and Tricks are the best for us guys who don't know what we're doing!! (Attached is updated based on Router Jim's suggestions).

Router-Jim
03-21-2008, 03:31 PM
You've come a long way in a short time. Aren't those Tip & Tricks a great learning tool?

Your sign looks terrific. I might consider changing draft from small to medium, but that's just me.

Keep up the good work.

Jim

cnsranch
03-21-2008, 03:44 PM
RE the draft - is there a rule of thumb regarding mixing draft and feather, or is it one or the other? As I understand it, feather simply feathers out the bottom, while draft slopes the entire letter/ptn, etc.

Does it make sense to use both?

Router-Jim
03-21-2008, 04:05 PM
I took another look at your sign. I do see one small problem when I magnify the view. Your trees are all set at the same height of 999 and that is causing the back trees to stick through the front trees. Micheal wrote a good tutorial on layering that will help you out with that.

Later,

Jim

Router-Jim
03-21-2008, 04:09 PM
RE the draft - is there a rule of thumb regarding mixing draft and feather, or is it one or the other? As I understand it, feather simply feathers out the bottom, while draft slopes the entire letter/ptn, etc.

Does it make sense to use both?

Sorry I got side tracked when I magnified your sign. I've never seen any rules of thumb, but my experience tells me that feathering doesn't do much with text. For text I use draft and for patterns I use feather where appropriate. Voom in on your text and try the two and see what difference they make.

Router-Jim
03-21-2008, 04:24 PM
I hope I'm not coming across as hyper critical because that is not my intent at all. FWIW your sign design came out a lot better than mine when I tried a fish plaque last night. I really like the design you came up with. :cool:

Jim

cnsranch
03-21-2008, 04:46 PM
I can use all the criticism you can dish out.

Re the trees - you're right about the depth, but what I can't figure out---

When I set the depth lower, the ptn "digs" in deeper - not what I want. So, I'm trying to lower it with the height setting, not the depth. Take a look at the attached, you'll see what I mean.

Finally, is there a way to crop the bottom of the trunk of the tree so that it doesn't encroach on the oval?

Amonaug
03-21-2008, 04:57 PM
I looked at your .mpc. To get rid of the trunks that are into the raised oval, use the shape tools (line, arc, etc) and create a small shape over the parts you don't want. Make sure the shape is completely closed then use carve region and set the depth to zero.

Router-Jim
03-21-2008, 05:10 PM
You could highlight the front trree and then resize it by pushing the trunk up until it fits inside the frame. But then you're going to have to redo the cut path. :(

cnsranch
03-21-2008, 05:15 PM
That' awesome - thanks! Works like a charm - I think!

sirsumm
03-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Cnsranch,
Where are you in Montana? I didn't know of any other carvers around here....

Jason

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
03-21-2008, 09:13 PM
Nice work there! I also was reading the tips this morning just havnt had time to do anything yet. Yours looks really great! I see ya jumped on that tip. Good job. I like it too i think it opens a new dimension to carving. Hope to see it complete sometime...

TIMCOSBY
03-22-2008, 12:39 AM
of 25 on the middle tree and 20 on the back tree did it. that will give an illusion of depth.

FINGERS
03-22-2008, 10:26 AM
I am stuck on step 5 "create outline" I can only select one pattern at a time, but not both of them at the same, what am I not doing rite ?

Amonaug
03-22-2008, 11:41 AM
I am stuck on step 5 "create outline" I can only select one pattern at a time, but not both of them at the same, what am I not doing rite ?

From the carve list (easier to select them there than trying to select them from the board).

Use shift-left click to select all patterns between the first click and second click.

or use ctrl-left click and select each pattern you want individually if they aren't all together in the carve list (easier to select them there than trying to select them from the board).