PDA

View Full Version : Replace Power Supply Instructions

zeke
03-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Received a replacement power supply today. Looks fairly straight forward to replace it, any special tips or issues that I might encounter?

zeke
03-21-2008, 03:39 PM
You can delete this if you like, it was as easy as it looked.

Jeff_Birt
03-21-2008, 06:40 PM
zeke, can you provide a simple step-by-step explanation of the process? It might help someone else in teh future who is wondering how to replace the power supply.

zeke
03-23-2008, 11:11 AM
Sure thing Jeff! If anyone knows any of any of this to be incorrect, please provide an update. I put this together at Jeff's request and it is a few days old in my head, hopefully I didn't overlook anything.

Tools I used;

* A phillips head screwdriver
* A drill with a torque adjuster set to a very low setting to remove / attach screws, this is just to speed up the process. I don't recommend this unless you are comfortable with this you won't save that much time, you could strip the screws or the female threads.

1) Contact LHR and ensure this is the proper procedure for "removing power supply" "installing power supply" "replacing power supply".
2) Perform the following standing on an anti-static mat if you have one available to protect the power supply from static electricity. Alternatively, try to discharge any static electricity you may have built up.
3) Turn off the machine and disconnect the main power cord from the power source.
4) Flip the machine on it's side so you have access to remove the bottom cover.
5) Remove the 12 screws that attach the bottom cover to the machine and remove the cover.
6) There are three connectors that need to be removed prior to removing the power supply (see picture attached). I was not able to tell what the connector technical names were on the exploded view, couldn't tell what was connected to what. Essentially two of the three connectors are sitting side-by-side or over-and-under one another with white connectors. Each of these connectors has a small rocker retaining clip that must be pressed prior to removing it so that it does not break, they should slide off fairly easily. The third connector looks like a DC power supply connector similar to your computer and mine didn't have any retaining clips, it just slid off.
7) Remove the 4 screws holding the power supply in place (see picture attached).
8) Install the new power supply using the 4 screws from step 7
9) Insert the connectors back in place from step 6
10) Attach the bottom panel using the 12 screws from step 5
11) Flip the machine back in the upright position, plug the power cord into the power source and turn on the machine.
12) You should know immediately if this resolved the power issue if the "Carvewright main menu" displays.

I would have included some pictures of the wire connectors and the retainer clip that needs to be pressed to remove if I would have created this procedure during the replacement.

Jeff_Birt
03-23-2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks Zeke!