PDA

View Full Version : Please Help

optionman
03-20-2008, 07:49 PM
got my machine tuesday night, and with less than 5 hours on it, started getting the following problems:

1) constant board sensor problem. everytime the machine begins to measure the board and the board is moved to the right by the cw, i get a failure message as soon as the left edge of my board clears the rollers and the cw attempts to move the board back to the left. if i repeatedly try to load my project, eventually i get a proper measurement (until this last time) and i can continue. this has happened both with a project board as well as when i mount the project board to a jig.

2) after having to constantly reload the board because of the problem with the cw measuring, i just got what the manual refers to as "vertical lockup" and i can't crank down the head. i did what the manual said, namely using an allen wrench to turn the head screw clockwise, and although the crank moves as i turn the head screw, i can't get it to unlock. i must have rotated the screw 15 times and still get that "clutch clicking" sound and no downward movement.

please help

Jeff_Birt
03-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Sounds like your board measuring problem was due to incorrect head pressure, the good news is that it should be easy to fix.

I would suspect that your machine got bumped during shipment and the head (part that cranks up/down) got knocked out of level. Measure down from the flat spots on all four vertical guide rods to the head. If it is not level then you need to lay the machine on its side and remove the bottom cover to adjust it.

Check for level and let us know what you find...

optionman
03-20-2008, 08:23 PM
i measured the 4 areas and it's very hard to tell with a tape measure if they're off. i used a level on the black ledge under the cover and it appears level. i can crank the head up but it slips and clutches when i try to take it down.

what next. can we do this via phone?

fyi, the machine has worked since i got it. had no problem cranking down last two days.
thanks

Jeff_Birt
03-20-2008, 08:25 PM
You need to use a smal scale (ruler)...

optionman
03-20-2008, 08:34 PM
tell me if this means anything. i was just able to crank up and down, but it only goes down if i add pressure with my palm on the black ledge inside the cover. as soon as i release my palm it immediately turns about a quarter turn then clutches.

awaiting your words of wisdom

Amonaug
03-20-2008, 09:09 PM
tell me if this means anything. i was just able to crank up and down, but it only goes down if i add pressure with my palm on the black ledge inside the cover. as soon as i release my palm it immediately turns about a quarter turn then clutches.

awaiting your words of wisdom

That's what I usually have to do with mine too. I plan on checking the alignment but for now I have to press down on the head to get it to crank down, lubing the rods helps. It's also been said if the machine isn't at least 60+ degrees then you can get the same problem.

Gunner
03-21-2008, 05:25 AM
In the troubleshooting guide pages 7,8, and 9 you will find instructions for finding solutions for head pressure and for setting the vertical guide rods parallel to one another. I hope this helps.

forqnc
03-21-2008, 09:41 AM
That's what I usually have to do with mine too. I plan on checking the alignment but for now I have to press down on the head to get it to crank down, lubing the rods helps. It's also been said if the machine isn't at least 60+ degrees then you can get the same problem.

I'd just like to add to Amonaug reply. I ran my machine at christmas time, shop was about 45 deg, no problem. (I just had to get this carving done.) :rolleyes:
Then on Monday, shop was about 55 deg, I had constant, problems loading a board. I greased the vertical guide rails, checked pressure, checked the roller switches, nothing. Finally gave up, Tuesday, temp about 63, I loaded the same board, not a problem.
Good Luck