PDA

View Full Version : Indian Head Clockface

SandBuoy
03-20-2008, 06:05 PM
Just got this out of the machine. Was a 3 hour and 10 minute carve and machine didn't miss a beat. This is a clock face for a mantel clock I am making for a fellow coin collector. One of the passions we share are indian head pennies.

Not sure if I want to stain it or just put a clear coat it with tung oil or a polyurathine. Any suggestion for what to finish it with would be appreciated. The wood is actually a little redder then it appears in the photo as its Mahogany. Still needs a good sanding and smoothing but I think it came out suprisingly well from the machine.

Wife says it would look nice with just a grouted edge and made into a wall hung clock. Its 18" x 11" high but might work well as a wall hung.

tstryk
03-20-2008, 06:08 PM
As a fellow coin collector, I must say I am jealous. That will make a gorgeous clock, and I wish I had thought of it first! :) WOW!

mtylerfl
03-21-2008, 12:14 PM
As a fellow coin collector, I must say I am jealous. That will make a gorgeous clock, and I wish I had thought of it first! :) WOW!

Hello Terry,

If you would like an assortment of coin patterns, we have them available totally free of charge at CarveBuddy.

Six different coins, both obverse and reverse of each (12 patterns in all). Here's the link: http://www.carvebuddy.com/coins.html

Ken Massingale
03-21-2008, 12:25 PM
That's really nice. That Mahogany would look great with Danish Oil to bring out it's natural beauty.

mtylerfl
03-21-2008, 02:37 PM
That's really nice. That Mahogany would look great with Danish Oil to bring out it's natural beauty.

I thought it was white oak.

ChrisAlb
03-21-2008, 03:00 PM
Yep, White Oak is my bet too.

Eagle Hollow
03-21-2008, 04:24 PM
My bet it's mahogany. Look at the size of the growth ring running through the 12. I've never seen one that size in white oak????

cnsranch
03-21-2008, 05:06 PM
Best part about an indoor piece like this is that you don't have to worry about the elements. Plain old tung oil would make your project look great - you just have to add a coat every so often.

Another option is a satin poly, with or without a stain coat.

Ken's right about Danish Oil (assuming you're in a part of the country where you can still buy it - Watco is the best. Make sure you don't mix oil stain with water-based poly.

Personally, I'm partial to "Medium Walnut" - gives red and white oak a great look.

Finally, best part about making your project into a mantel clock - you can test several small areas on the back to get the look you're looking for, or simply stain/poly the left-over pieces.

Any way you go, the clock will look great.

SandBuoy
03-21-2008, 09:45 PM
Thanks for all compliments folks. I picked up the clock movement this afternoon for it. Small town and small town prices, $7.00 ouch. Going to get assortment pack from an ebay dealer for about $2.55 eacg with mixed color and length hands.

Terry S- Now don't legiture me or send me a hate message, but I polished up 8 indian head pennies last night for the hour spots. They were ones I got in rolls that were already cleaned. I am sure my freind will be shocked I polished them up to till I explain.

Its mahogany gang. I got a deal on it last week. A 1 x 12 x 48" for $8.00 and tomorrow I am picking up the last of it from the lumber yard. They have 2 10' left and I am getting a steal at $28.00 each. Its rough cut edges so I do loose about 1/4"-1/2" but who cares at that price.

I did pick up both danish and tung oil today. I agree that a natural oil will really make this piece pop. I did read thou, that mahogany should have a coat or two of filler paste before finishing becuase of the large pores. But I wonder if the paste would allow for the oil to really do it job. I don't think so but some advise on this matter will help from you more experienced people.

Now the sanding begins tonight with some 300-600 paper and then the oil. I have a test end peice i want to try both oils on to see which gives a better color and finished look.

tstryk
03-22-2008, 05:22 AM
I'm partial to linseed oil on mahogany. A few coats a couple days apart will make it shine!

mtylerfl
03-22-2008, 08:46 AM
Ken and EagleHollow win the identification prize - it is indeed Mahogany. (Back to 'wood recognition' school for me.;))

ChrisAlb
03-22-2008, 08:52 AM
I won't argue the point but I was looking at the grain at the bottom. If that's not an OAK grain I'm surprised for sure. Plus, I've never seen Mahogany that light in color. Is it some kind of imported Mahogany?

Oh well, back to school for me too I guess. And I thought 30 years was enough....lol

fwharris
03-22-2008, 10:01 AM
One of the passions we share are indian head pennies.

The wood is actually a little redder then it appears in the photo as its Mahogany.

SandBouy,
Great design!!! Really like it!!! You have given me some ideas for my coin club members. I have made several carvings from Micheal's free coin patterns and this project just might draw some interest.

Most coin collecters frown at the thought of polishing coins, but I bet you are not using a MS coin or key date any way.

Can't wait to see the finished clock

SandBuoy
03-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Chris, at first I too thought they were trying to get one over on me. I think its an imported mahogany as its really light it color. But put a coat of tung oil on it and it gets a darker red. I certainly am heading for the lumber yard this morning for that other 20'.

Harris, I would have never taken an unaltered IH and purposely polished it. These were some I had in a tube that were cleaned I got in rolls. Still, I am sure there will be some that look down their noses at me for polishing them. But they just seem to blend so well polished and should darken with age.

If you come across a pattern for an Canadian coin let me know. I have several freinds in Canada I exchange with. Like to do one like this with George as the center and maple leaves replacing the side indian figures. Chris's buffalo on his coasters would have been a great touch to this clock with the indian head. Maybe get with him and see if he will let you use it.

ChrisAlb
03-22-2008, 11:00 AM
Chris, at first I too thought they were trying to get one over on me. I think its an imported mahogany as its really light it color.

Chris's buffalo on his coasters would have been a great touch to this clock with the indian head. Maybe get with him and see if he will let you use it.

Lord knows I don't know everything...lol All I can say is it's a darn good thing I'm not a betting man, I'd have lost on this one for sure...lol

That Bison on the coasters was Jerry's (EagleHollow) I think. You'd have to ask him but it would go well on the clock for sure.

GREAT Project!

fwharris
03-22-2008, 11:18 AM
[/QUOTE]Harris, I would have never taken an unaltered IH and purposely polished it. These were some I had in a tube that were cleaned I got in rolls. Still, I am sure there will be some that look down their noses at me for polishing them. But they just seem to blend so well polished and should darken with age.

If you come across a pattern for an Canadian coin let me know. I have several freinds in Canada I exchange with. Like to do one like this with George as the center and maple leaves replacing the side indian figures. Chris's buffalo on his coasters would have been a great touch to this clock with the indian head. Maybe get with him and see if he will let you use it. [/QUOTE]

Here is a pattern for a Canadian Nickel. I do not recall where I got it. Probably here some place.

Not to worry about the polishing, I bet they will look great!

SandBuoy
03-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Harris, I know the Canadian money flexuates a little but when did the dime become a nickel up there. Or are you holding off on me and actually have a canadian nickel in your files, haha...I had to laugh a little when I expected a beaver on the nickel to pop up and the 1969 Dime appeared. But thats a cool design with the clipper and now I have to try a face with that on it. Let you know what I come up with.

fwharris
03-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Harris, I know the Canadian money flexuates a little but when did the dime become a nickel up there. Or are you holding off on me and actually have a canadian nickel in your files, haha...I had to laugh a little when I expected a beaver on the nickel to pop up and the 1969 Dime appeared. But thats a cool design with the clipper and now I have to try a face with that on it. Let you know what I come up with.

Boy that caught me with egg on my face. I had to go back and look again. You are right on it is a dime! I will have to remane that one. Thanks for pointing that out.

SandBuoy
03-22-2008, 01:10 PM
Thanks for posting the Dime anyway. That will make another great clock face for my Canadian freinds. They will enjoy it a lot.

Ken Massingale
03-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Thanks for all compliments folks. I picked up the clock movement this afternoon for it. Small town and small town prices, $7.00 ouch. Going to get assortment pack from an ebay dealer for about $2.55 eacg with mixed color and length hands.

Terry S- Now don't legiture me or send me a hate message, but I polished up 8 indian head pennies last night for the hour spots. They were ones I got in rolls that were already cleaned. I am sure my freind will be shocked I polished them up to till I explain.

Its mahogany gang. I got a deal on it last week. A 1 x 12 x 48" for $8.00 and tomorrow I am picking up the last of it from the lumber yard. They have 2 10' left and I am getting a steal at $28.00 each. Its rough cut edges so I do loose about 1/4"-1/2" but who cares at that price.

I did pick up both danish and tung oil today. I agree that a natural oil will really make this piece pop. I did read thou, that mahogany should have a coat or two of filler paste before finishing becuase of the large pores. But I wonder if the paste would allow for the oil to really do it job. I don't think so but some advise on this matter will help from you more experienced people.

Now the sanding begins tonight with some 300-600 paper and then the oil. I have a test end peice i want to try both oils on to see which gives a better color and finished look.
For a sealer I only use Zinnser Sealcoat. It's their shellac with all the wax removed. It's available at HD and Lowes in the primer section. Don't use shellac with wax, other finishes don't like to adhere to it.

RayTrek
03-22-2008, 02:34 PM
SandBuoy
Excellent work and a great Idea Thank you for sharing.

To every one ho has posted their finishing techniques here THANK YOU that is some thing that I do not have much experience with its great to hear what your doing.
Thanks for the learing carve.
Ray

SandBuoy
03-22-2008, 05:51 PM
Thanks to all and I agree Ray. So many great ideas and suggestions about finishes and techniques Although I have cut a lot of wood and make tons of wood projects, finishing was never one of my strong suits.

After spending the time to lay it out, over 3 hour carve time, 3-4 hours of sanding and the money tied up in it you sure don't want to ruin it with a bad finish. Not to mention now I have to make the peices for a mantel clock or wall hung. becuase of its size, 11" x 18" I am leaning towards wall hung for his coin room. Not sure he would have to room for a huge mantel clock.

Eagle Hollow
03-23-2008, 07:03 AM
Lord knows I don't know everything...lol All I can say is it's a darn good thing I'm not a betting man, I'd have lost on this one for sure...lol

That Bison on the coasters was Jerry's (EagleHollow) I think. You'd have to ask him but it would go well on the clock for sure.

GREAT Project!

Fellas, 1. The bison on the coasters is a Vector 3D Art pattern. I'm sure it's available in the pattern store.

2. The clock is outstanding.

3. I designed and carved door and drawer fronts for a $30,000 bathroom remodel using African Mahogany...looks the same as as the clock pic. It was MESSY carving and worse to clean up. The owner used a two part epoxy finish over oil based stain. They look spectacular.

Happy carving!! This forum continues to be a fantastic source for all of us...especially for novices like me.

Jerry
Running1.126

Jeff
03-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Genuine mahogany is usually pretty light in color. But, it will darken and redden over time and with exposure. You can set it out in the yard during a few sunny days and you'll be amazed at the change.

As to finishing, definitely go with an oil. I prefer watco but any oil will work well. Since it's a clock, it won't take any real abuse so you don't need a film finish. Personally, I would just leave the oil and add a coat of paste wax. I wouldn't mess with a filler. But, that's just me.

By the way, nice job!

jeff

SandBuoy
03-23-2008, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the information Jeff and compliment, helpful as always. I think the darkening is my biggest worry about this peice. I think it would take away from some of the features in the coin if to dark.

I did do a test on a peice left over and the tung oil did a great job of slightly darkening it and bringing out a nice reddish tint. I did read where they suggest putting a filler wax over it becuase of the bigger pores. I have sanded it with every grit up to 600. Hopefully the pores will not be an issue after the oil is applied.

I am getting very anxious to finish this peice and getting the clock movement in place. I plan on doing one for myself and have selected a peice of marbled maple for it. I hope the features come out as well as this one did. Its really gratifying to see all these things being made from this little critter. So many ideas so- so little time.

Eagle Hollow
03-24-2008, 02:56 PM
My customer sent me this picture of one of the African Mahogany drawer fronts that she fininshed with two part epoxy. They do a lot of sailing and say they like their all their wood to be waterproof...guess this will work for this drawer that is in the base of their hot tub.

Keep caring , ya'll.

Jerry
Running 1.126

Jeff
03-24-2008, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the information Jeff and compliment, helpful as always. I think the darkening is my biggest worry about this peice. I think it would take away from some of the features in the coin if to dark.

I did do a test on a peice left over and the tung oil did a great job of slightly darkening it and bringing out a nice reddish tint. I did read where they suggest putting a filler wax over it becuase of the bigger pores. I have sanded it with every grit up to 600. Hopefully the pores will not be an issue after the oil is applied.

Take that test piece and lay it out in your yard for a few days. That will give you an idea of how it will darken over time. My opinion is that the color will be beautiful and the detail will still show nicely. By the way, tung oil is one of the darker oils and will darken more over time. If you are really worried, you can use a waterbased film finish. It will darken and/or yellow the least.

As to the pores, unless it is a tabletop, I love the look and am happy with the pores showing. But, it is totally objective. If you don't like the pores, you can apply shellac (many coats of blonde, super-blonde, ultra-blonde... The blonder the better for less toning.) Between each coat sand to bring it down. Over time and coats, the pores will fill.

Jeff

SandBuoy
03-25-2008, 12:17 AM
Thnaks for all the ideas people. Jeff I think if it does darken a little from this tung oil coating that will be just fine. Its still a very light pink and a little ago will probably make it look even nicer. My main focus it trying to keep the coin a lighter copper color like a new uncirculated one looks like.

Btw, my buddy emailed tonight asking me to do some color adjustments on a autum farm picture he tooks last fall. Wanted me to brighten the tree colors a little for him. I did it and sent it back to him and asked him about it.

Seems him and his wife are doing some major remodeling and decorating threw out the house. He is having a photo lab print him out a large size of the print to hang on the walls. Said he has a lot of walls to cover and they want a lot of pictures on them. So he is going to get a wall clock now instead of a mantel clock.

Jeff
03-25-2008, 10:11 AM
Thnaks for all the ideas people. Jeff I think if it does darken a little from this tung oil coating that will be just fine. Its still a very light pink and a little ago will probably make it look even nicer. My main focus it trying to keep the coin a lighter copper color like a new uncirculated one looks like.

Hit the pennies with some lacquer. That will protect them from oxidation and lock the shiny color in. And, don't forget to take (and post) pics of the finished project!

Jeff