PDA

View Full Version : Auto jig question

Trader Howland
03-20-2008, 01:55 PM
I searched and read a few threads on autojigging and learned some things but I'd like to know, more specifically pretaining to my project, what is going to happen based on the options I choose.

I loaded my project onto the mem card and received an auto jig notice (attached)

I haven't loaded the project into the machine yet but from what I've read in the other posts, when I do I'll have the option of using a wider board, scaling down or ignoring. Apparently this is because I have a cut running close to the edges down the length of the board.

What's going to happen to this particular project if I scale down? Will my spirals still be round or 'squished' down?

Can't I attach a a strip of wood to each side of my board to make up for the need for a larger board so it will stay under the rollers? With double sided tape?

I guess choosing ignore could be an ugly thing?

Will the machine tell me how wide of a piece of wood I need to use? Sorry for the barrage of questions--just eager to learn.
Thanx,
Brad

DocWheeler
03-20-2008, 02:53 PM
Brad,

Sounds like you figured it out, yes the boards on the edges will solve your problem. Since the machine centers (Y) direction on the material it sees, you need something of equal width on each side unless tyu create it off-center in Designer.

Trader Howland
03-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Thanks, Doc--So I would choose the 'manual jig' option in the pop-up dialog box, then go from there when I load the project into the machine? Will machine prompt me as to how much I need to add to sides of piece? Heck, I'lll go down into the basement and insert the card and see what i says----

sweliver
03-20-2008, 04:40 PM
I've been hitting ignore then when at the machine & it prompts me as it's measuring the board length I choose center on length. My projects are centered on the board. I either have the mpc 7" longer or use a sled.

So far no problems with my method. Don't choose "scale to width or length". It's screw up your proportions. Get a properly sized board, readjust your mpc settings, or abort, take the board out, set it back in the machine, choose the project again and see if the machine ignores any sloppy tolerences this time.

Steve

DocWheeler
03-20-2008, 06:01 PM
Trader,

Sorry, I had not gotten back online. With the wider piece (with side fillers), you will not get the auto-jig question since the machine will see plenty of material to work with.