PDA

View Full Version : Flexshaft May cause Error

SandBuoy
03-19-2008, 08:47 PM
Well did my design this morning, saved it to the card and started the carving. Make 3 passes and a 246 axis error comes up. So I check the position it quit at and marked it with a pencil. Repositioned the board, started the carve again and the same thing. 246 Axis error, but this time it says something like unreadable program. AND, the carve stopped on the 3rd pass in the exact same place on the pencil mark.

I wanted to see if I could redownload the program and get the machine to carve any further into the project. I went in and downloaded the design again. When I hit upload a message came up saying the CW found an error on the program did I want to send. I said no, deleted the old one and downloaded a fresh copy.

I took it out and started the carve again. While watching it start the carve I could have swore the bits wasn't moving. They spin so fast I really couldn't tell until the bit started on the second pass. It wasn't, I could see that red line not moving. I stopped the machine and sure enough, the spindle turned freely without any motor pull.

I took the flexshaft out, wiped it dry, oiled it and put it back up. This time I make sure I got it in right just in case it happened again I would know something was wrong. I started the carve and it went smooth for about 15 minutes so I went inside to grab a bite to eat. It took over 2-1/2 hours but it finished the complete carve without a hitch.

Heres the results of two clock faces I was working on. The one with the Lions is the one that I just carved this afternoon. I forgot to do one thing thou. I put "drill holes" on the 1-2-4-5-7-8-10-11 spaces at .752 for real indian head cents to fo into. What I did wrong was put .060 depth instead of adding the .060 to the relief .250 for .312 depth. So they never showed up.

So now I have added another possibility to the 246 error. I know the spindle was turning last night as it carved about 3/8" of the scroll I had on that design. But I am wondering if the machine hit a certain thickness and caused the flexshaft to slip?

BTW, anyone know why my back roller won't compress when I load a board. The front one shows compressed and the back doesn't. If I lift the back of the board a little I hear a click and the machine start its alignment cycle. Strange.

Gunner
03-19-2008, 11:13 PM
As for the back roller, it sounds like you have some sawdust packed in there. Time to get the aircompresser and shopvac going . CLEAN the MACHINE between carves. Also check lubrication on the corner posts. Re-read the manual.

SandBuoy
03-20-2008, 12:18 AM
Thanks Guner, actually I do clean the machine after every run. Infact I got a set of computer mine attachments that allows me to get into the really small places. I really clean off the rollers but your suggestion will be taken to heart. Will be looking into that as it could be the problem.