PDA

View Full Version : Pattern makers

Digitalwoodshop
03-19-2008, 08:30 PM
I was looking at some of Chris's fantastic pattern work tonight and thought. With the licensing software and no one in a year able to pump out CD's of your best work on eBay for $9.95, this time spent making PTN's could bring in some very nice retirement income.... Like Movie and TV stars and the rerun fees they get.

The more machines sold and if they make a wider format carver, this could really be a cash cow... Kids will want it in the WILL and EX Wives or Hubbys will ask for part of it in the Divorce...... LOL.

Then you will see TV Commercials with companies that buy up annuities and payouts over time for cash.... buying the rights to PTN's.....

Good Job Chris !!!!

AL

It's the cold flu medication....Drugs.....

swhitney
03-20-2008, 08:44 AM
better living through chemistry!!! (I'm a retired pharmacist)

mtylerfl
03-20-2008, 09:01 AM
Hello AL,

Who is the Chris that you mentioned?

The "DH"
03-20-2008, 09:22 AM
Hey AL,
I hope your right, could use some extra retirement income!!!

ChrisAlb
03-20-2008, 09:36 AM
Hello AL,

Who is the Chris that you mentioned?

Hey Michael,

I had the pleasure of meeting Al at a Fishing Flea Market to benefit one of our local Volunteer Fire Departments.

Al most kindly invited me to share his "space" at the event to show some carvings. It was a great time and meeting Al was really cool. He does excellent carvings in our local "Pocono" flavor and he's a great guy!

Since then I've sent him a few pictures of some designs I'm working on so I think that would be me...lol.

Chris

mtylerfl
03-20-2008, 09:44 AM
Sorry Chris - it didn't click who he was talking about - need another "cup of coffee" I guess! (Actually, I gave up caffein about 2 years ago - maybe that's the problem!)

ChrisAlb
03-20-2008, 09:49 AM
Hey buddy,

Just poured another cup myself so no apologies....lol.

I feel like I haven't been in here in weeks. Got a guy keeping me hopping on designs....lol

Yep, more coffee! I'll never give it up...lol

Digitalwoodshop
03-20-2008, 03:16 PM
For 2 years before I bought the Carve Machine I just lurked over at the Shop Bot Forum. I learned allot and really had my heart set on getting one.... At least until the fate full night before Christmas when I saw the first Sears Comercial.... The rest is history....

So I remember a few posts about a guy that had sold files. He had sold Plasma Cam and Shop Bot files or CD's on eBay. A Lady was then repacking his hard work and selling them on eBay as her own. It took a bunch of work dealing with eBay to get her banned and they did, many times. She would just open under another user or take it to the "WE Sell your stuff on eBay" places.

The lesson in this is a few very talented guys are putting in a bunch of hard earned time making PTN's. Ken shared some of his Christmas Ornaments PTN's last year on the forum and I made very good use from them with wood. I did this with his blessing and the PTN's are still on this forum.

What bothers me is when Chris or anyone sells a CD on eBay and the wrong person gets it for mass production, your time is making them money.

With the license system this could be some designers 401Karve Plan.... Making you money well into your retirement years. I don't know all the details of how CarveWright runs it's pattern agreement but they essential turn into your broker.

With more than 10 THOUSAND units out there, that's allot of customers. This is like being on the ground floor of "Microsoft".... Bulk Designers don't give away your work. Guys learning and proud of you ptn, and want to post it GREAT. I love to look at the latest free ptn.s too. I learn from them.

I worked for about a day making a bear ptn and it looked very bad.... I appreciated finding just what I needed for $6.50 on a site. Some guys are Hardware guys and some are software guys.... I have lots to learn.

Just my 2 cents on the issue.

AL

J_Man
03-20-2008, 03:51 PM
I don't know how much time some of you guys have spent online or how much knowledge you have with various internet activities. Saying that, I've been online since 1988. I've seen lots of things over the years where people would try and make money off of various aspects of different things. Let's take something I'm seeing a ton of similar things that parrellel the CarveWright.

The Sims game is almost exactly the same as is the community. My wife loves playing it and there's a load of people that make outfits, furniture, houses, wallpaper, people, etc. These people sell their Sim items. They might have a website that you pay a monthly fee for, they might sell the items individually, or they might just give/trade them. They spend lots of time making these items too. Fights happen a lot due to people making items that are close to someone else's, or someone buys an item and then either tries and sell it themselves or they actually give it away. It happens a lot and is yet another thing like here.

What I'm getting at is that the Sims has been around for a while as has several other various things. I've seen people go the route of selling CDs. Yeah they make a little money, but eventually those items on the CD gets out there and there's no controling them any more. It doesn't matter how much a person pitches a fit, it's out there.

So those that feel they need to make money off of their patterns probably should just stick to selling their files individually. Now a person like me that will be giving away a lot of patterns once I learn what I'm doing, selling a CD might not be a bad idea. I mean for a person that will put a lot of free files out there, selling a CD allows you to offer all of your patterns in an easy package rather than having to download a ton of files. Plus you know your files are out there already free, so it doesn't matter as much when a person shares a file or two off of your CD. I may sell some of my more complex patterns, and those I might wouldn't want to put on a CD.

I just figured I'd offer a different perspective. There are those out there that will fly off the handle as soon as they see their file being used in a way they don't want it used. You can't control it as much once it's on a CD and out in the general public.

gmalanoski
03-20-2008, 06:09 PM
Wouldn't it be great if CW opened the door to allow everyone benefit from the "logic" already created to perform the copyright? I understand that this means some set of keys need to be stored in a centralized database somewhere (i.e. CW), but hey, the foundation is there! I think a nominal charge ($1/ptn - we're only storing a few keys, probably in a free database such as MySql) would be fair, however, this could be a nice "value added" addition to the process/machine. This would then ensure that no matter where you sold your pattern, it would be protected and require proper licensing.

dr01allen
03-20-2008, 06:21 PM
the Pattern Depot is a good idea but I haven't been able to get a response from them on how to join. I have several patterns that I'd like to offer.

Any ideas on how to encourage a response?

Jeff_Birt
03-20-2008, 08:16 PM
I just emailed them and got the information emailed to me. I did have issues though as I asked to have it sent to my work email address and due to some changes made in our email system the email got bounced. I did eventually get it though when I found out what was happening.

They could have sent you an email that your or your ISP's spam filtering ate. Just give them a call, I'm sure they will send the information right out.