PDA

View Full Version : Flex Sahft Lubrication

jerrbitt
03-19-2008, 04:18 PM
Did a search on when and with what in terms of lubrication of the flex shaft. Found Jeff Birt’s article in Tips and Tricks to be highly informative.

When out to buy the various lubricants he mentioned but could not find the Industrial chain lube. But, although I have not yet put a minute on the Compucarve just bought due to waiting for a new programmer, I did check out the machine and lubed the shaft. However, I used a moly based wheel bearing grease which I thought would not have the undesirable characteristics of breaking down and leaking into the motor or spindle. After all, wheel bearings run pretty hot and with years of auto mechanic experience, never saw the wheel bearing grease break down.

So before I take the shaft apart once again, if I find the chain lube and I know I will, is it necessary or will the wheel bearing grease be fine?

Kenm810
03-19-2008, 04:39 PM
Liquid Wrench - Gunk L716 Industrial Chain Lubricant with Moly is recommended.
And remember to wipe off any excess Moly lube on the Flex-Shaft, also let it drip dry for a while before reinstalling it in the machine.
You really don't want any exess lube to get into the carving head bearings and causing problems.
HomeDepot has it around here, if the big box outlets around you don't, check your local Auto parts stores or motor bike outlets

Wid T
03-19-2008, 05:19 PM
Did a search on when and with what in terms of lubrication of the flex shaft. Found Jeff Birt’s article in Tips and Tricks to be highly informative.

When out to buy the various lubricants he mentioned but could not find the Industrial chain lube. But, although I have not yet put a minute on the Compucarve just bought due to waiting for a new programmer, I did check out the machine and lubed the shaft. However, I used a moly based wheel bearing grease which I thought would not have the undesirable characteristics of breaking down and leaking into the motor or spindle. After all, wheel bearings run pretty hot and with years of auto mechanic experience, never saw the wheel bearing grease break down.

So before I take the shaft apart once again, if I find the chain lube and I know I will, is it necessary or will the wheel bearing grease be fine?

jerrbitt , Check out http://www.gunk.com

It may help. A auto parts store checked to see if they carried it
and ordered it. They had it the next day:D On line Amazon wanted $12 shiping :(
Wid T

The links keep changing, search there home page
Search L716 Here http://www.gunk.com/index.asp

Wid T

pkunk
03-19-2008, 05:32 PM
The idea behind the Gunk lube is it is a liquid that permeates to the core of the flex shaft. Wheel bearings don't rotate at 20,000 rpm.:rolleyes:

Amonaug
03-19-2008, 05:51 PM
I have used a chainsaw chain lube which seems to work really well. Menard's had all sorts of other Gunk products but not the chain lube.

RudeDog
03-19-2008, 10:13 PM
I tried to find the recommended "Gunk Liquid Wrench Industrial Strength Chain Lube with Moly" in four stores and struck out. Walmat had some, but not that kind exactly. The Harley dealership had some pricy stuf for $10, but still not with Moly. The guy at Auto zone tried to sell me some kind of goo for $9 a can.

So where do you get the lube with moly and the dry spray lube?

Thanks

MikeMcCoy
03-20-2008, 06:34 AM
I've seen it at a couple of Parks Auto Parts and also Gates if you have those around you. My Ace hardware owner said he would order some for me if I couldn't find it.

Eagle Hollow
03-20-2008, 06:38 AM
All three local Ace Hardware stores carry GUNK chain lube with moly

hotpop
03-20-2008, 08:11 AM
I found Liquid Wrench - Gunk L716 Industrial Chain Lubricant with Moly at Tractor Supply Stores.

Amonaug
03-20-2008, 01:26 PM
I have to ask what does Moly do?

Reason I ask is because I use
http://justicebrothers.com/pages/products/products_specialty.htm

the Heavy Duty Chain Lube (further down the page) and it works very well. It doesn't drip and sticks to the flex shaft. Since I put it on I barely feel the flex shaft even warm up at all.

The can says

Lubricates all types of chains
Reduces friction and wear
Good for "O" ring chains
Does not fly off
Recommended for use on roller bearing chains
Anti-static formula, does not collect dust or dirt
Sets up quickly to a protective coating
Protects against rust and corrosion
Contains JB metal conditioner
Does not cake or gum
Special formula allows for deep penetration

forqnc
03-21-2008, 10:03 AM
I found mine at Home Depot $3.94 a can.

butch 4195
03-23-2008, 07:03 AM
How hard was it to get the cable apart to lube the inner cable??? help

hotpop
03-23-2008, 07:30 AM
Butch

The flexshaft just slides out of the sheath. hold it with two fingers and pull and out it comes.

After you lube it. Wipe off excessive lube. Reinsert the flexshaft and rotate it. You should feel it go into the motor. Once it is in the motor do not try to rotate it any more.

Snap opposite end into your "Z" truck. Rotate the chuck as you insert the shaft and you will feel when it is seated.

That's all there is to it. Happy Easter!

butch 4195
03-23-2008, 09:02 AM
thank you i will try it ,,,,Happy easter to you and your family too..

Big Bob
03-23-2008, 09:43 AM
The Gunk L716 Industrial Chain Lubricant with Moly 15% ordered on Amazon was sent to me by McLendon Hardware.

Amonaug
06-05-2008, 01:25 PM
I have to ask what does Moly do?

Reason I ask is because I use
http://justicebrothers.com/pages/products/products_specialty.htm

the Heavy Duty Chain Lube (further down the page) and it works very well. It doesn't drip and sticks to the flex shaft. Since I put it on I barely feel the flex shaft even warm up at all.

The can says

Lubricates all types of chains
Reduces friction and wear
Good for "O" ring chains
Does not fly off
Recommended for use on roller bearing chains
Anti-static formula, does not collect dust or dirt
Sets up quickly to a protective coating
Protects against rust and corrosion
Contains JB metal conditioner
Does not cake or gum
Special formula allows for deep penetration

Just an update on this. I've lubed the flexshaft twice since Feb with well over 60 hours carve time. Yesterday I did a 7+ hour carve and the flexshaft didn't even get warm.

rstudley
06-08-2008, 11:33 AM
I am not able to find complete directions for removing the flexshaft for lubrication. It was connected to the motor when I got the unit--- does the flexshaft have to be disassembled at the motor end?
Also, there is no instruction on how to remove the cutting head end of the flex shaft from the coupling with the ball bearing-detent--- do you depress that ball bearing into its hole? Does the sleeve slide off the core, or does the core slide out? I don't want to damage the machine by forcing anything.
The flexshaft has heated up too hot to hold onto after15 minutes of cutting, since Day One. Is there no lube applied at the factory?

Kenm810
06-08-2008, 11:43 AM
rstudley,

There have been a few machine that came through with insufficient or no lube on the Flex-Shaft.
Plus only the inner shaft has to be removed for lubrication from the the cutting head end,
leave the long spring in the plastic sheath connected the the cutter motor.

rstudley
06-08-2008, 11:47 AM
Hey, Ken, thanks for your timely response... but it doesn't give me a clear picture of how to remove the flexshaft connection from the cutting head truck. Also, I still don' t understand if the shaft has to disconnect from the motor.

rstudley
06-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Also, I still don' t understand if the shaft has to disconnect from the motor.

Sorry, Ken, I mean the outer plastic sleeve, not the shaft itsself.

Dan-Woodman
06-08-2008, 12:02 PM
Looks like Ken may have steppe out for a minute.
What you want to do is grab the outer sheith on top of the head and pull straight up and out. Then grab the inner core flex shaft and pull it out of the sheild.

later Daniel

Kenm810
06-08-2008, 12:10 PM
Do not remove the sheath from the motor, hold the cutter head in one hand and the very end of the sheath in the other hand.
Pull up on the sheath hub while turning slightly and the ball bearing will release the shaft.
The flex-shaft should then slide out easily to be cleaned and lubed.

Thanks Dan,
I was trying to find the LHR files and photo on how to remove and lube the flex-shaft
and why it can heat up.

Flexshaft Heating Up
Problem: The flexshaft heats up excessively, especially in the middle of the bend.
Solution: There are several possible causes:
1. The flexshaft support wire has pulled out of support.
2. The flexshaft support wire isn’t bent correctly and the minimum bend radius of
the flexshaft is exceeded.
3. The flexshaft core is not inserted all of the way into the motor and is being
compressed in the sheath.
4. The flexshaft has been lubricated with an improper lubricant.
5. The Z-truck heating up.

rstudley
06-08-2008, 06:37 PM
Guys, thanks--- I have followed your recommendations on how to detach the flexshaft from the head, but that puppy will not budge.

Are you working with both hands inside the machine, or one above? How do you keep the bit holder from turning as you twist the shaft? which direction do you turn the end of the shaft in? what makes the ball bearing release, is it the twisting motion?

Thanks

rstudley
06-08-2008, 06:47 PM
Thanks, I finally gave that stuck flexshaft end one Good heave-ho straight up, and it released from the cutting head. I can see now, looking at the catch mechanism inside, that there is nothing to be hurt by pulling too hard.

Thanks for the assist