PDA

View Full Version : what could go wrong next?

smalltowngirl
03-18-2008, 08:01 PM
:confused: I have not been able to use my machine for almost 5 months now. If it is not one thing, another thing pops up or is not fixed! I sent my machine back to be worked on almost 2 weeks later, they call, it is fixed. By now the machine is OUT of warrenty. But, when we get it out of the box, it is full of sawdust and NOT working still. 1st, it won't see the board, check the sensors and the rollers are released! But, the machine will not crank down all the way! It stops 2 inches above the board. I get out the grease (after I spend an hour cleaning out the sawdust), it will go down, but still show released. In order to compress them, you have to pull up on the board. I tried 6 different boards, and it still did not work. When I finally get the board to measure, it asks for the same bit 6 times before I turn it off. I loaded a board for my project, fought with it to get it down all they way, yea, it only asked for the bits once, measured, started to run, z axis stall again! What am I missing? Someone please help! I am begining to think, they didn't fix my machine to begin with, it is worse than when it went to Texas! :mad:

Jeff_Birt
03-18-2008, 08:45 PM
It may have got bumped real good during transit on the trip back. Check that the head (part that cranks up and down) is level on all four corners by measuring down from the flat spot on the top of the four vertical guide posts. Also, give CW tech support a call the first chance you get. They will be able to walk you through a couple of other steps to get the head aligned. Let us know how it works out.

smalltowngirl
03-20-2008, 07:52 PM
;)my husband and I went out there and looked at it, was going to measure the head rods, they are all either equal or less than 1/16" off from each other, so he sticks his hand down the crank handle side of the machine to see if it was "cranking". NOPE, the two are not turning. So how do we fix this problem. THis may be the only problem is that the crank either slips or won't crank at all, it is almost like the screw completely backs out when you try to turn the handle.:rolleyes: I am hoping to get a chance to call tech support Sat. After all, it is the holiday weekend.

Jeff_Birt
03-20-2008, 08:24 PM
If you measure from the bottom of the flats (on vertical guide rods) to the top of the bushings on the head it should be equal on all four corners. Does the crank handle click when you turn it? You can also try loosening the four bolts on the top of each vertical guide rod. Give the head a small wiggle to encourage it to settle into place and then tighten all four bolts again. This just lets any twist relax and the guide rods to straighten back up.

Digitalwoodshop
03-20-2008, 08:25 PM
When ever you crank the head to the very top when you go to crank it down it just clicks. This has happened to almost everyone including me. Look inside the machine at the threaded rod on the right or the side opposite the keypad. At the bottom is a 1/8 inch hole to put a drill bit or Allen wrench to prime the threads on top. There is a Arrow on the plastic cover to the X or Sand Paper Drive Belt gear box, I believe it is clockwise looking down on it.

That is written in the manual when you get a chance to look at it. So much to learn, I know....

Good Luck,

AL

Edit:

Looks like Jeff and I tied to help you at the same time. Tech Support 800-573-1226 option 4

Reset
03-20-2008, 10:07 PM
The crank handle itself may not be seated properly, and is not engaging the clutch:

it is almost like the screw completely backs out when you try to turn the handle.

Loosen the screw holding the crank handle. Slowly tighten the screw as your are "cranking" the handle, as the screw get tighter, the crank handle will seat itself in the correct position (you'll know it is in the correct position because the head will start moving). Once the handle is in the correct position, tighten the screw.

Tommy

smalltowngirl
03-22-2008, 10:11 AM
First of all thanks for all your help and happy easter. As I can, I am going to try all your suggestions. The head will not move at all and plus there is a part stripped and a spacer missing out of the handle side of the machine. Just got off the phone with Tech support, he mentioned something about a tie rod on the bottom of the machine not having any play. Tried to describe the part that was stripped, but because I am a woman, I get a lot of men who think I don't know what I am talking about. I get that alot especially being in a position of a powerful woman. Wish me luck

Kenm810
03-22-2008, 11:01 AM
It sounds like the LHR tech was referring to part #36 Lockdown Leadscrew Tierod Assembly
Pictured on page 11 of the CW Parts List ( Exploded view parts list (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/parts_list_manual.pdf) )
Is that the same part your describing, or can you find the proper name and part number on the list.
Using the list has already helped me out a couple of times on the phone with LHR.

And Happy Easter
to You and Yours

smalltowngirl
03-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Thanks that helps! At least now I know what I am looking for!:D The part that is stripped is the crank lever shaft (#150) and the Crank Gear Spacer (#149) is missing. Since it is almost dark here, we will try to see about the tierod tomorrow evening.:!:

smalltowngirl
04-04-2008, 09:35 PM
After calling to carvewright 3 different times I finally talked to the manager and she warrentied my problem (obviously the problem was not addressed while it was there) and told me to contact her directly if this doesn't work. We finally got the crank assembly in and we will be working on it this weekend. We are praying that it works! Keep your fingers crossed!!!;)

smalltowngirl
04-05-2008, 04:55 PM
Well, that fixed the head not cranking down, now I still get my z-axis stall and all it is doing is asking for the bits once I restarted it. Any suggestions now?

Jeff_Birt
04-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Is the bit plate coming out and the bit hitting the flast part of it?

smalltowngirl
04-06-2008, 07:07 AM
Yup, the bit plate comes out, the z motor comes down realllll slow. I think that is the only thing that is working on the machine:confused: