PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman 1/8" Adapter:

lootlam
03-18-2008, 01:24 AM
Has anyone used the Craftsman 1/8" to 1/4" adapter, product #932350, in their CW machine? Recommended max speed is 30,000 RPM. The CW runs at 20,000 RPM. I think it should work. It comes with an Allen wrench, two rotor cutters and sells for $8. Any thoughts on this adapter?

swhitney
03-18-2008, 09:27 AM
not sure if this would work, but email rjustice at cw_parts@yahoo.com for a professionally made bit adapter designed to fit the QC. It works wonderfully!!!!

JOHNB
03-18-2008, 04:26 PM
lootlam; no problem. just use a good quality bit with lock-tite. definitely not that dry wall bit.

gtj44
03-18-2008, 05:39 PM
Lootlam, I tried this a few months ago with a Roto Zip bit to cut out parts in 1/4" birch plywood mounted in a sled. It worked ok, but you can see the cutter did heat up a bit. I also ground divots in the shaft with a Dremel so the set screws had a place to seat.

rjustice
03-18-2008, 06:06 PM
Here is a better way to go... harder than stock holders, perfect fit, near perfect balance and less than .0002 runout.

Just email me for a parts list and pictures...

Ron

Keenosan
03-18-2008, 11:00 PM
Here is a better way to go... harder than stock holders, perfect fit, near perfect balance and less than .0002 runout.

Just email me for a parts list and pictures...

Ron

I second that. I got one of Ron's adapters and have been using it with fine Dremel bits and Centerline fonts to make lettering. It is a very precise add-on.

Kelly

lootlam
03-19-2008, 10:09 AM
Thanks to all for your response to my inquiry. I have seen the custom adapter by rjustice and they are of high quality workmanship. I can appreciate it because of my machining background. And I can also appreciate the cost of $20 each. However, I'm just doing some hobby stuff that doesn't require such a high degree of precision. I saw this item in sears and thought it could work. I haven't try it yet. If it really runs out a lot I'll get one of the high precision adapters. Maybe rjustice could turn out similar adapters at a hobby cost. I believe an adapter, with set screw, for the 1/2" CW adapter could also work nicely.

eod mcgrath
03-20-2008, 09:29 PM
i have bought several of these and use them. i have gotten great result and would reccommed them.