PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Getting Bit Out of New Machine

BEC
03-16-2008, 06:42 PM
First post here. I bought a new machine last night at Sears. Today got it set up without difficulty, except the bit took a few tries to get installed. Anyway, after cutting off a board with the 1/8 inch bit with everything seeming to work right, I loaded a small project to carve. The machine asked for the 1/16th bit and there is where I have been ever since. I did read the postings that I could find on this forum and have tried a few things. The collar will lift up, the bit is at that time loose, will move slightly side to side, but will not come out. The collar seems to move up and down fairly easily. Only moves perhaps 1/8 inch and since it has never worked for me, I don't know if that is the right amount of movement or not.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob Crites

Kenm810
03-16-2008, 07:03 PM
Bob,

Welcome to the forum,

Take a hold of the Bit and adapter carefully, hold it straight and pull down
with your other hand pull up on the quick chuck and rotate it slightly at the the same time.

or use the bit removal tool

AskBud
03-16-2008, 07:34 PM
In the booklet (Manual) that came with my machine, page #33 shows the removal process. The manual is also available on the Web and the Removal is shown on page 36.
I had to use two hands to raise the chuck the first few times.

The Removal Tool, also works well, once you learn exactly where it goes. Look at the bit you are not using. You see a slot just above the cutter. That is where the tool needs to be placed before you do the lifting shown on the manual.

I hope this allows you to more easily remove your bits.
AskBud

BEC
03-16-2008, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have continued to work on this thing since I posted earlier and just got back to look at the forum for replies.

Since I posted earlier, I have removed the bit a total of 2 times. Each time I got it out, the removal tool did it easily. The tool will not most of the time slide all the way on. If it does happen to slide all the way on, it goes on easily and the bit falls right out. Each time I had the bit out, I tried to figure out what happened that was different, but no luck figuring it out so far. Don't know what is going on. Tried a bit of 3 in one oil. Seems that something prevents the collar going up far enough but occasionally (twice so far) it has worked.

Bob

Kenm810
03-16-2008, 08:18 PM
Bob,

Cocking the Quick Release Chuck
The quick release chuck must be cocked in order to install a bit. To c**k
the chuck, press up on the chuck release flange (See Figure 2 located
on the cap and release. The cap will rotate slightly in the counterclockwise
direction as well and will remain up when the chuck is prepared
to receive the bit assembly. Any time difficulty is encountered inserting a
bit and adapter simply pull up on the flange to insure the chuck is cocked.
Dust can sometimes prevent the quick release chuck from cocking
properly. Clean periodically with compressed air and lubricate with a light
machine oil. If unable to c**k by pulling up on the flange, insert a finger
into the bottom of the quick release chuck and twist the plastic cap. This
should free the cap and allow insertion of the bit.

BEC
03-16-2008, 08:22 PM
That is good information, but getting the bit out is what I am having trouble with.

Bob

Jeff_Birt
03-16-2008, 08:43 PM
As I recall my chuck was a bit sticky for the first few hours of use. Make sure you are cleaning it and the adapters after every carving session.

BEC
03-16-2008, 09:06 PM
The machine is all nice and clean right now and likely to stay that way unless I figure out how to change bits.

Bob

Jeff_Birt
03-16-2008, 09:53 PM
I mean you need to clean the chuck after every carving session. Put on 3-in-1 oil on a rag and wipe the inside of the chuck. Or, better yet use a spray on dry-plate lubricant as oil will attract sawdust.

It's also a good idea to make sure you get all the sawdust out the the chuck after each use. See the end of this Tips&Tricks for more information: http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWright_Tips_and_Tricks_Jan08.pdf

AskBud
03-16-2008, 10:20 PM
I mean you need to clean the chuck after every carving session. Put on 3-in-1 oil on a rag and wipe the inside of the chuck. Or, better yet use a spray on dry-plate lubricant as oil will attract sawdust.

It's also a good idea to make sure you get all the sawdust out the the chuck after each use. See the end of this Tips&Tricks for more information: http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWright_Tips_and_Tricks_Jan08.pdf
Jeff,
My machine is in for repair of a broken Flex Shaft at present.
I like your "Care & Cleaning" article. However, I would like to see/know how the Flex Shaft connects to the motor, and how you access any screws that need tightened in this process. The pictures in the manual and Parts List do not give me as much info as I think I need.

I also do not know how/what to do to be able to remove the top cover as the wiring seems not to have any quick connect points and that means I may have to remove sensors in order to free it from the machine. I would rather not touch sensor positions it at all possible.

Photo(s) included with your reply would help.
AskBud

Jeff_Birt
03-16-2008, 10:35 PM
As for cover removal, look at the third post: http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2073

I have never needed to removed the flex shaft from the cut motor, I believe that there it just plugs into the motor and has one screw that retains it. When you lubricate the flex shaft you only need to remove the end that hooks to the cutting head and pull out the braided steel cable itself. I think Al (Digitalwoodshop) has posted some photos of the cut motor here on the forum that might give you a better look.

AskBud
03-16-2008, 11:02 PM
As for cover removal, look at the third post: http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2073

I have never needed to removed the flex shaft from the cut motor, I believe that there it just plugs into the motor and has one screw that retains it. When you lubricate the flex shaft you only need to remove the end that hooks to the cutting head and pull out the braided steel cable itself. I think Al (Digitalwoodshop) has posted some photos of the cut motor here on the forum that might give you a better look.
Thanks Jeff,
I've Bookmarked the thread above as it shows lots of very good info on many situations.
AskBud

BEC
03-17-2008, 11:03 AM
Well, after a couple of more hours, I got the bit out one more time. Now before I put it back in, looking for recommendations on how to free things up inside the chuck holder and make the bit easier to remove next time.

Inside the bit holder things are "clean as a hounds tooth". The machine is new, so that is what you would expect. With no bit inside, sometimes the collar will move all the way up easily, sometimes it will only move about half that amount. So, I think that is the problem. I have lots of 3 in 1 oil on it now and that hasn't seemed to help at all.

Everything I have read on this forum about this problem has had to do with cleaning things properly. Again, this one is new and perfectly clean.

Any ideas before I put the bit back in. I don't look forward to another couple of hours getting it back out.

One specific question. Should that collar stay up when there is no bit installed. Mine will not do that.

Bob Crites

Digitalwoodshop
03-17-2008, 01:15 PM
Bob,

I am sure you have read the info on lubricating the QC with 3 in one oil or dry lube.

The outer QC ring is spring loaded and will snap back down. A trick to get a stuck bit out is to snap that ring. You should always carefully try to move the tip of the bit in 4 directions. Sometimes the BB's holding the bit don't set the first time. Ignore this and a bit will fly out of the machine. Don't cut yourself on the bit.

AL

BEC
03-17-2008, 05:30 PM
After lots of cleaning and lubricating and exercising the collar up and down I put a different bit in. Just to make sure the one bit was not the problem. Bit is stuck in there again. Worked on it another couple of hours without getting it out then called support. I tried all their suggestions including heating up the chuck with a hot air gun. No luck. So, they are sending me a new chuck. I guess I will have it in a week and will install and try again.

Bob Crites

BEC
03-21-2008, 03:15 PM
One more quick question. I have the new QC and the tool and wrench to remove and install. Just want to get clear on the way to turn it. The holding tool seems to indicate that when it is installed in the top that it should be turned clockwise to loosen the QC. Is that right?

Bob Crites

rjustice
03-22-2008, 11:27 AM
You want to turn the tool that is in the "tophat" counterclockwise to loosen it... It is a standard right hand thread in the QC.

Ron