PDA

View Full Version : Creating Lettered Sign

edva53
03-16-2008, 05:50 PM
I am a new user. I'm trying to create an interior sign for our church that says "Welcome Center". I've attached a picture of some existing signs that I'm trying to copy the lettering style. Note that the letters are connected as in cursive writing. I've created what I need in the design software with one exception--I can't seem to connect the letters so that they will "flow" together" and be cut out as two separate words rather than individual letters. I've also attached a copy of what I've created in the the design software. Any help is greatly appreciated.

DrBob
03-16-2008, 06:02 PM
Hi edva53
Will this help?
You can also look for a font on the internet that you want.

AskBud
03-16-2008, 06:05 PM
See if you have Edwardian Script on you list of Fonts.
AskBud

sweliver
03-16-2008, 06:09 PM
Have you tried to decrease the letter spacing when in the "edit text" function? Changing from +/- zero may help, may not.

Have you carved it yet? I've had consecutive carves of the same project come out with noticeable difference with only minor depth and spacing changes.

sw

edva53
03-16-2008, 08:50 PM
Have you tried to decrease the letter spacing when in the "edit text" function? Changing from +/- zero may help, may not.

Have you carved it yet? I've had consecutive carves of the same project come out with noticeable difference with only minor depth and spacing changes.

sw
I haven't carved it yet. Decreasing the distance helps, but creates no connection between the "W" and the "e" unless the other letters are so close they're literally overlapping. Also creates 2 points of connection between some of the letters rather than just one connection.

I think I should try using the drawing tool to create a connection between each of the leters and then try a test carve.

edva53
03-16-2008, 08:54 PM
See if you have Edwardian Script on you list of Fonts.
AskBud
Thanks for the suggestion. Problem with that is I'm trying to match the font of the existing signs in the jpg image and the font that matches that is the Monotype Corsiva.

I think I may need to use the drawing tool to create a connection between the letters much.

edva53
03-16-2008, 08:56 PM
Hi edva53
Will this help?
You can also look for a font on the internet that you want.
Thanks. The font I'm using (Monotype Corsiva) matches the existing signs in the jpg pictures. I need to create a connection between the letters. Suspect I may need to use the drawing tool and draw the connection between letters.

AskBud
03-16-2008, 09:04 PM
I think that with any Script, the capital letters are not connected to the lower case letters as a general rule.
AskBud

John
03-16-2008, 11:14 PM
If I remember correctly Jon Jantz had some info. on this on his site, allcw.com He uses coreldraw and welds the letters together and then uses the trace function in the CW software package.

After getting the design done, this is going to be a big project of the CW. At .75" depth you looking at close to 10 hours carve time! A paper pattern and a scroll saw would be a good second choice.

sweliver
03-17-2008, 02:13 AM
Lucida Handwriting...you may have to adjust board/font sizes but the text comes out connected on my screen. Until you carve you'll never know.

sw

hotpop
03-17-2008, 08:48 AM
edva53

Try these sites for free fonts.

http://www.1001fonts.com/index.html

http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=115

wynpotter
03-18-2008, 01:32 PM
I thought I would jump in for a generalized comment. Different fonts are designed with each a certain distances between letters and generally this is called "Kerning". If you have a program like Corel draw you can get into the letter spacing or Kerning of each letter in one of the sub font menus . This also has to be considered in the width of the tool that cuts the letters and the path it takes. This is just some stuff that carries over from doing work in some of the software like Corel, PS and the like.
Hope this helps. Wyndham

www.go3d.us
03-18-2008, 02:00 PM
You can do this manually in image editing software.

HT

edva53
03-31-2008, 07:49 PM
Thanks to everyone. I used Photoshop Elements (which I had never really used before for anything like this) to create the sign and then "weld" them together by drawing the necessary connections. Then saved as a jpn format and imported it into the Carvewright software. Worked great!!!

Ed

RayB
04-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Zapfino font is another that is "well connected".
:)

scw
04-04-2008, 05:57 AM
Thanks to everyone. I used Photoshop Elements (which I had never really used before for anything like this) to create the sign and then "weld" them together by drawing the necessary connections. Then saved as a jpn format and imported it into the Carvewright software. Worked great!!!

Ed

you would be much better off to save your Photoshop stuff as .png for transfere to Designer. This format is much cleaner, .jpg becomes very trashy when zooming and stretching.

Keenosan
04-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Whenever I want letters to overlap in designer, I always make several 1-letter files instead of one several-letter file. For example, for the word "Welcome" I make 7 1-letter text entries, then I can place them where I want them and use snap-to-grid for vertical alignment. It's a whole lot easier than using Photoshop.

Kelly