PDA

View Full Version : Where are problems in the machine?

wynpotter
03-16-2008, 11:43 AM
Since I have been viewing this forum for a short time, there seems to be several areas of the CW that have some problems. Many seem to be from dust and small chips getting into gears and other moving parts, some about maintanace issues. My question is more about the power of the unit. Is the flex shaft beefed up enough for the jobs it takes on, such as the bearings for the bit assembly and the torque there.
I am waiting for Sears to get the next shipments of the CC and before I pull the trigger, I'd like any thoughts.
I am going to use the CC for small signs and litho's and if I guess right, I'll use the machine for 20+ hrs a week and maybe at times double that. Since output is going to be part of my retail shop as well as special orders, I don't want an under powered unit.
From others here I get the feeling that I can expect something in the order of 1-2 sq in/mim based on design so I thought a 5x7 litho might take around an hr or hopefully less, not counting design time.
Sears also has a 3yr warrenty for about $220 and a 5yr for $299, which seems good considering the use I hope to have.
Many thanks to those that have taken time to answer my newbie post earlier. Daniel Boone once said he was never lost but sure was bewildered for several days and I ani't no Daniel, that's for sure.
I know many here are very satisfied, just wanted some feedback, thanks again. Wyndham

sewpeck
03-16-2008, 12:54 PM
The best advise you can get is KNOW YOUR MACHINE. Read every response in the forum with an open mind. Learn the software so you know what to tell the machine to do. If the machine doesn't understand your commands that's not the machines fault. I think 99% of all the problems associated with the machine are people thinking all they have to do is press the on button. This is a very technical piece of equipment, not like a table saw or a router. I'm hoping after I sing it's praises like this it doesn't let me down. I am a pretty good computer geek so if you have any questions as far as designing something with the software let me know. I enjoy helping people out with computer problems. My e-mail is sewellpeckham@comcast.net. I also have several websites I have put up and hopefully I too am going to try to do some work with signage and custom-designed picture frames. Good luck

wynpotter
03-16-2008, 01:58 PM
Thanks, I too am a computer geek and have put many PC's together from scratch. I have also worked in shoestring wood and mining places that used cast-off equipment as top of the line stuff. It worked because it had to.
As a potter I've had to make my own kilns and repair those that i bought because it cost too much to hire something I can learn to do myself. That's why I have brought up the subject of where are the problems likely to be, not because I'm not able to deal with it , but because I need to get an understanding of this before I put down the $$$$.
I get the sense that many here are enjoying the CW and as a hobby tool but I need to be able to make it pay for itself and some beans on the table for me.
I see a market for some of the ideas out here but I really don't know yet how stout this machine is. i've seen post that say that some carve for 14 hrs and it hums right along. It also seems to me that the flexshaft/bearing/bit area will get the brunt of the wear.
If there is too much downtime due to bad design or op error you can't factor that into the cost of an item without over pricing that item.
I have 2 parts to using this machine, 1 is to make master templates that can be duped in clay. So far that seems to be reasonable. The other is to make personalized items like lithopanes and signs and that's the area I'm trying to learn about.
With the CW I can make a traditional lithopane master it in plaster, create it in clay and fire it, but there might not be the market that say a family photo litho out of corian could be. Therefore the question of durability of the CW in that environment. Thanks Wyndham

TIMCOSBY
03-17-2008, 12:15 AM
i'm probably the one with the 14 hour carve you mentioned....put a 13"x7'x3/4" board in.... started machine.... went home...went to bed... came back next day to a nice carving. no downdraft or anything. i think if you get a good machine it is built to take the dust etc mine sure does and all i do is vacumm out the shavings and then not real good cause its just goin to get more so why spit shine it. i think it is a qaulity control issue overseas. vacumming near the keypad side while carving will get you a fatal error! i did it twice then stopped vacumming at all till carve is done. sears usaully doesn't stock them i don't think so if they have one on hand it may be a return. i bought a second machine and they had it there when i bought it and it had all kinds of gremilins staright out of the box, no user error i knew what i was doin. took it back for a refund no ? asked except what was wrong with it cleck said they have to put something down.

wynpotter
03-17-2008, 10:29 AM
Thanks Tim, yea it was most likely you that stood out with that 14 hr job.
I don't want to come across as someone looking for problems, if that's the way my post reads, please forgive. I'm just someone that tries to know the equipment as well as possible before dropping the cash.
Thanks again for the post,Wyndham