PDA

View Full Version : broken/stuck rubber y-truck belt

S. Chase
03-15-2008, 11:55 AM
It was working just fine. In the middle of a sign that I was doing I had a y-axis error and it stopped. The Y-truck would not move side to side at all. I could find no reason for it to be stuck. Too much force gave me a broken belt and a reason why it was stuck. The belt is caught under the bracket on the back of the y-truck and it will not come free. The bracket is held on by two screws that seem to have come pre-stripped (I know that I have never laid a screw driver to them).

I don't know why it is under there or if it even should be under there. Does anyone have a picture of the back of their Y-truck so that I can compare?

thanks,
Scott

Kenm810
03-15-2008, 12:07 PM
Scott, I believe the screws and clip hold the drive belt in place on the "Y" Truck
so the drive gears can move the "Y" truck along the rail on it's "Y" Axis

S. Chase
03-15-2008, 12:11 PM
I assumed it was there to hold it in place, but all off a sudden it won't let go.

S. Chase
03-15-2008, 12:13 PM
oh, I see what you mean that point stays stationary. Well damn, now I still don't know the problem.

thanks

S. Chase
03-15-2008, 12:17 PM
ok, after a re-evaluation I checked and the Y-motor is frozen.

Sometimes you just can't see the forest through the trees.

Thanks

Kenm810
03-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Sorry I was pulled away for a few moments.
Did you turn the machine off. --- While it is on it has the motor resistance
trying to hold the "Y" truck in place, plus for several seconds after you turn the machine off.
A minute or so later the motor release its tention and the belt and truck should move more freely,
if not than the gears may be jamed or broken.

S. Chase
03-15-2008, 06:18 PM
I held the Y-motor in my hand and it will not spin. The gears are not clogged either.

I need a new motor and rubber belt. I will call for service on Monday. My warranty just ended of course; any idea the cost of the parts?

Scott

Digitalwoodshop
03-15-2008, 07:24 PM
I had a Z lock up when I did not have the Z cable in correctly. Stayed locked until the power bleed off after turning off the power. Check you cables to be sure they are not tilted slightly in the connector. From 20 years working with servos and synchros in the Navy it was like a servo lock.

AL

S. Chase
03-15-2008, 08:10 PM
AL,

I pulled the motor out and twisted the brass gear with some pliers and it broke free. It will spin free by hand now but; sudden changes in direction will make a quick clicking sound. The rubber belt is broken so I can't test it. It will most likely freeze-up again, it just feels bad (there is slight resistance).

Any idea how much it will cost to replace these items?

Scott

ps. Does "NE, Pa." Mean the town near lake erie or the east part of the state? I spent my first 21 years in Erie County (Millcreek and Fairview before moving to Alabama.)

Jeff_Birt
03-15-2008, 08:35 PM
I seem to remember someone posting a few days ago about having a Y-motor replaced, seems like the part was about $50-60. I could not seem to locate the post to check though.

S. Chase
03-15-2008, 09:03 PM
thanks Jeff

Kenm810
03-16-2008, 08:38 AM
S. Chase,

Sorry it took so long,
I was searching on the wrong computer,
The info was on my lap top.
This is for some recent work on my CC Machine.

Digitalwoodshop
03-17-2008, 10:26 AM
AL,

ps. Does "NE, Pa." Mean the town near lake erie or the east part of the state? I spent my first 21 years in Erie County (Millcreek and Fairview before moving to Alabama.)

I am on the other end of the state at the junction of NY,NJ,PA.

AL

S. Chase
03-17-2008, 09:40 PM
gotcha, just checking.

Mikewiz
03-17-2008, 09:59 PM
I am on the other end of the state at the junction of NY,NJ,PA.

AL

Hey al, Your not far from me. I'm about a half hour from PA. Are you close to port jervis?

Mikewiz