PDA

View Full Version : pattern editor help

dr01allen
03-14-2008, 08:30 PM
I just installed the pattern editor software (entered the license key) and can't get the help file to display. Any ideas?

This system is really frustrating. I have to buy the probe to get the pattern editor then the day after I order the probe, they drop the price but won't give me a refund.

Now the help file won't load so I can't learn the software that I paid too much for in the first place.

Customer orientation here is a full 180 from ShopBot.

Jeff_Birt
03-15-2008, 09:02 AM
I just installed the pattern editor software (entered the license key) and can't get the help file to display. Any ideas?

Yes, there is no help file at present :(, I do know that they are working on one presently however. Spend a few minutes playing with the Pattern Editor and I'm sure you will find that most operations are pretty easy to figure out, and if you get stumped ask someone here. I agree that a help file would be nice, I always read them. In my brief experience developing CBPE (and judging by 50% of questions asked on the board here) most folks do not read the manual. It's just human nature.

This system is really frustrating. I have to buy the probe to get the pattern editor

I think CW saw the pattern editor as a tool for use with the probe originally and never considered the possibility that someone may just want the software. When I have compared commercial software that has similar height-map editing abilities and ease of use the closest I have come is the $500 art package by MeshCAM. So, from that perspective the probe/pattern editor combination is a great deal.

WoodMiller
03-15-2008, 04:00 PM
You said:"This system is really frustrating. I have to buy the probe to get the pattern editor then the day after I order the probe, they drop the price but won't give me a refund. "

I agree that the lack of a help file or other manual is an issue. But if you look at the probe, it's obvious that the $224.00/$300.00 price tag isn't based on the cost of the components in the probe - the majority of the price is for the license to the pattern editor, in my opinion. As long as Carvewright doesn't charge me an arm and a leg for future updates to the pattern editor, I'm willing to compensate them for the cost of their software.

Just my thought........