PDA

View Full Version : question regarding surface grouping

Betty Woodall
03-14-2008, 05:50 PM
I need of help regarding the tutorial on surface grouping. I have been trying to replicate example project shown at the bottom of the tutorial page. I have been trying to get this right for the past week and finally have to ask for help.
When I get to the page where it states "to have the patterns conform to the dome surface, the patterns will need to be merged to another domed surface, I copy and paste go to the next page and have everything looking good in the carving list until I select the features as shown and group. (group, star, and rosette) and group them. The carving list is now different. Instead of having the group with the rosette and star then group with the two surfaces underneath I have the group with the surfaces and then the group with the star and rosette, and last is another rectangle surface. It then calls for the last rectangle( at the bottom of the list and the first group at the top of the list to be grouped and then put the merge style again as additive. I keep getting an error message that the program has encountered a problem and needs to shut down asking if I want to send message.
I am using 1.26. Is there a possibility that the upgrades have made changes to how we group and merge? Please let me know what you think, I am frustrated.
I want to be able to make the box with the bow front and sides like I see in the gallery.

hotpop
03-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Betty,

I keep getting an error message that the program has encountered a problem and needs to shut down asking if I want to send message.

This is a message you receive when your computer runs out of RAM memory.

If you can close some programs that might be running in the background it would help or you need to add additional memory to your computer.

ChrisAlb
03-14-2008, 08:17 PM
I am using 1.26. Is there a possibility that the upgrades have made changes to how we group and merge?

Hi Betty,

No, not in the "way" we group and merge but in the reliability of it working. I get the same thing every time I do either...

a) Drag a group from the bottom of the list to the top AND

b) Try to drag one group to add it to another.

As soon as I let the mouse key go it's bang.....need to shut down error. This is the first version I've used that does that. Only answer I found so far was SAVE OFTEN. Equally frustrated (at times)...lol

If you want a "pattern" to follow a "surface". Just drop the pattern on the surface and select Merge Additive on the "pattern". You may need to play around with the heights and depths of both to get whatever style or effect your after. But the pattern will follow surface.

Chris

Chris

Betty Woodall
03-14-2008, 10:44 PM
Thank you for the information. I appreciate it. BW