PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed

Gunner
03-14-2008, 10:29 AM
Since my CompuCarve is in the shop being repaired I decided I have enough work to keep 2 machines going anyway. Ordered a Carvewright from LHR. Machine arrived, checked carton for damage,not too bad. Setup machine in shop. Lubed flexshaft, checked to make sure everything looked good. Arrrgh, RPM sensor is laying loose, found screw [smiling ]. Okay, lets calibrate offsets. Error 87. Arrrgh, will call tech at 9am. Check sensors, all okay. Check hours; cut motor 2 hrs 8 min , total power on 70 hrs 58 min , servicing time 3hrs 28 min . Ok, call tech. I think it was Jay. Check serial number on display,not a correct number. Check serial on side of machine, Okay this one is good. Describe problem, solution, bad control board. Arrrgh. Should get new one in 4 to 5 days.#$!@%^&&*!. I really like these machines but, with the testing that was done on my machine how could these problems have been missed before shipping. Thanks, just had to vent. Oh, BTW what is the best way to adjust cover for flexshaft clearence, mine is just rubbing. Thanks for any help as always.

DocWheeler
03-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Gunner,

Sorry to hear of the problems, seems like there are some problems in the system that need to be resolved.

When my machine came back with new motors, there were washers between the top cover and the side where the "muffler" is (under the two screws).
Someone else reported washers on top of the four corner posts (I did not have any there).

I hope you get back to chipping soon!

Bill
03-14-2008, 11:00 AM
hi Gunner,
You say you purchased a machine from LHR is this a new machine with cut motor 2 hrs 8 min , total power on 70 hrs 58 min ?

Gunner
03-15-2008, 07:24 AM
Bill,
Yes right out of the box. There were even some wood chips in the machine. Thats why I believed they had tested the machine before they shipped it out.

Ron
03-15-2008, 07:40 AM
yea, I cant believe they test them carving before they go out.I wouldnt think they would have time to do this.

Gunner
03-15-2008, 09:09 AM
Well it's a $2K machine. I would expect them to test a percentage of machines before they are sent out. If not then I'm even more disapointed.

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
03-15-2008, 09:22 AM
Gunner, im not sure what is going on with your machine and im not one to speculate. I have gotten two machines at different times and both machines only had 20 minutes on them. Which to me seems adequate time to test the machine. Also in my opinion i dont think a piece of wood would be necessary to test the machine. The biggest thing that concerns me is 70 hrs on your machine which you claimed was new. Then the sawdust in the machine, combined with all the problems you are having dont add up to a brand spanking new machine. I think this needs to be looked into farther. But hey like i said im not one to speculate and my two cents may be wrong but if it was me i would be doing something different.

Wid T
03-15-2008, 10:35 AM
I have gotten two machines at different times and both machines only had 20 minutes on them. Which to me seems adequate time to test the machine. Also in my opinion i dont think a piece of wood would be necessary to test the machine.

I also had 20 min. on my machine, and glad to here it was (maybe) for testing and not a used machine.

Gunner said " Oh, BTW what is the best way to adjust cover for flexshaft clearence, mine is just rubbing. Thanks for any help as always"

I can't help with this , but a bump to the top of page may help:)

Good Luck,
Wid T

Gunner
03-15-2008, 10:40 AM
After speaking with tech support, they informed me that yes they do random testing on the machines. And they do a carve just to make sure the machine does work. Although UPS is known for rough handling of the machines sometimes something is going to be damaged. The tech assured me that any hours on the machine would not be charged against the warranty.They will be sending an e-mail Monday to confirm. I don't think I can get a better response that that.

Jeff_Birt
03-15-2008, 04:19 PM
I have removed a few posts (including my own) in this thread which added nothing to the OPs topic, they were just pointless assumptions, speculation and conspiracy theories.

Gunner
03-16-2008, 08:11 AM
Thanks Jeff, The original reason for the post was to share/inform the members of the Users Forum problems with my machine.And to show what LHR was doing to resolve the problem. In the meantime I confirmed that there is a testing program, I wasn't sure. When my machine is repaired I will update. Same as with my other machine. All part of the learning curve. I really like what I can do with these machines. And I appreciate all the help I have recieved from members of the Forum.

Gunner
03-20-2008, 11:01 AM
Update;
Well, Installed the new control board. Still same problem but, now the serial number is correct. Called the techs, Found out the Z- motor is also bad. They are sending a new one, no charge, under warranty. They sent me the Pdf file to replace the motor. Another 4 to 5 days before it gets here. Was hoping they could overnight it but, they don't do that on warranty items. I'll just have to spend time working up new projects in designer. Run some wood through the planer and do some glue ups. I picked up some Zebra wood , want to see what that looks like when planed out. Happy carving ya'll.

Cmdr.Rav
03-20-2008, 01:54 PM
Funny you talk to other CNC manufactures and when they test the machine they do an air test without carving. So the machine goes through the steps, I know the CW will not work until you install the bit. So why can't they install the bit holder without the bit to test the unit?

Gunner I hope your machine will work soon, shoot you have practically rebuilt a new machine!

Rav

pwills3308@mchsi.com
03-20-2008, 04:39 PM
how do I get the parts section to print out, I need it to install the Z motor bundle I just recieved, I could be in the wrong section but this is where I come for all my problem solveing. I am very new to this form of carving with only 7 hours on my machine really want to get back to making sawdust and chips flying

Gunner
03-21-2008, 04:56 AM
Pat,
Call LHR and ask them to E-mail the PDF file to you. Then print as usual. You can also go to Troubleshooting PDF'S at the top of the page but, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to read them. There is a file in there for replacing the Z-motor.

Gunner
03-27-2008, 10:40 AM
Update,
Recieved new Z-motor. Tore machine apart. Low and behold the screws that hold the motor to the gearbox are loose on old Z-motor. So I screwed them back in, reinstalled everything. IT'S ALIVE ! Calibrated offsets,and she's making sawdust. Finally... Happy Carving All.