PDA

View Full Version : Weight Question

Ivanq
03-13-2008, 08:19 AM
I'm working on a project for a church that is the largest carve I have ever done. What concerns me is the weight of the board to be carved. Many times on the forum I've read where the length of carve is not an issue but the weight could pose a problem.

What I'm looking at is a red oak board 10 inches wide, 3/4 inch thick by 96 inches long. Actually I'll be carving two of them that length as the total project is 16+ foot long. I will use two sets of rollers on both the in-feed and out-feed.

Anybody try a long, heavy board like this? Any problems with it? Any idea on the maximum weight of a board that can be used in the machine?

Thanks in Advance
Cliff in Roswell

Digitalwoodshop
03-13-2008, 08:40 AM
I bet you see a X drive overload. That is a lot of weight. The worst that will happen is you will break a X drive gear or sand paper belt. I could be wrong, just depends on the weight.

I was going to do oak boards for dump trucks with a logo but it was too heavy.

Good Luck,

AL

SilentBob
03-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Check AskBud's answer here http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6560
Bob

pkunk
03-13-2008, 12:34 PM
I've done numerious 12" wide x 5ft long, and several 6ft long of ash. As long as the rollers support it well I see no problem. It's not the weight but the rolling resistance.

badger
03-13-2008, 02:14 PM
Ive done a 4x8 frame and used 1 board at 96inches by 4 inches to go through. It will depend on the rollers. Make sure your rollers are rolling well and space them out and it should do the trick. As long as your rollers are supporting the majority of the weight it shouldnt be a problem.

Big Bob
03-13-2008, 02:28 PM
I ran a 3/4 x 11 x 88 with no problem. Position the remote rollers to a hight to where the board is 1/8 above the C/W in-feed and out feed rollers. Your C/W rollers should slightly below the belt. You only want the belt to pull the load. Make sure you allow clearance from your side guide. Slide the board from end to end to make sure don't have a tight spot.

Cmdr.Rav
03-13-2008, 02:32 PM
I agree with Paul as long as you have enough support you will be fine. I would make sure the board is level by placing it on the rollers and in the machine before starting. Check it at the start and the finish. You don't want it to tip up against the machine. As long as it is level during the whole project you should be fine.

Another suggestion if you have a bench long enough you can make an extension table on each side. I would center the machine and put 4 foot extensions on each side. That will give even support during the whole project. Plus you will have the extensions for future projects.

Rav

pkunk
03-13-2008, 02:35 PM
I just weighed an ash board (abt. the same as oak)10"x10ft at 20# on my bathroom scale. Still within the CW parameters of weight as am 8 ft would be less.

HighTechOkie
03-13-2008, 02:43 PM
20#?....and I bet you only weighed 125# :D

Rob

hotpop
03-13-2008, 04:46 PM
pkunk,

I was going to do that but I couldn't fit it into the bathroom.

pkunk
03-13-2008, 05:24 PM
20#?....and I bet you only weighed 125# :D

Rob
I did check the scale at my known weight of 185, but it is a cheapy and could be a bit off at 20#. I have the roof height in the shop to stand up a 12 ft board. :D

Dave-Carve
03-13-2008, 06:20 PM
I Have Done some 1X10X8' Long Oak ( P/U Truck Sides)With no problem Pretty Heavy !!!!

What I Did Was ..Take 2 roller stands, And Place apx 1/8 higher than C/W . Placed Both at rear of machine.
When Measuring board Held 1 End And Let the rollers (both)support the oppoiste side (back side of Machine) Then as the C/W carved (Slowly I Might Add)
I Moved 1 of the rear rollers to front of machine as board came out of machine then awhile later move 2nd roller to front .
So that board was always kinda balanced on the rollers not the machine ..
I Know your Going to stand there and watch it carve anyway :rolleyes:..
Might as well do something .. 8' Carves get pretty boring !!!:D

Good Luck !! Get Some Coffee Before During and After Carve !!!!