PDA

View Full Version : x axis 'jogging'

cruzer40
03-12-2008, 04:07 PM
I am cutting out some crosses for an Altar rail. The machine sometimes "jogs" the x axis cuts. Instead of a straight cut, it moves the cut about 1/32 each pass rendering the piece usless. I am attaching a pic of the piece. Maybe some one out there can tell me what I am doing wrong. For some reason this forum is not allowing me to upload the jpegs of the problem. Maybe I need more help than I think

Digitalwoodshop
03-12-2008, 04:16 PM
I bet if you place masking tape on the board edge that contacts the brass roller your problems will be less or solved. Sometimes the brass roller on the sand paper axis looses contact with the board and a cutting error or stepping will result.

Making sure the board is up snug to the right rail. I take my finger and press it into the area left and right facing the keyboard with every board as it is measuring at the point where the left rails end. This gap or area is important to be snug to the left rail.

The Right rail should be 1/8 of and inch away from the board and NOT touching the board. It is more for the machine to check height or thickness of the board than a right guide. Jamming of the board with the right guide will give you a X Drive overload or break a X Drive Gear.

I have had sawdust on the upper rollers cause the board to walk away from the brass roller.

So I believe the answer to your problem is the brass roller. I now place masking tape on every board. A board foot of Masking Tape will always be cheaper than a board foot of lumber.

With carrier boards or sleds I place 2 strips one on top of each other. This gives the brass roller something to bite into. You will see the pattern of the brass roller on the tape.

Worn or sawdust impacted sand paper belts will cause it too

A board not placed straight on the belts is like a car with it's front wheels turned away from the curb and the board will walk away from the brass roller.

Good Luck,

AL

cruzer40
03-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the info. It sounds like this might fix my problem. I will try another 'cross' tomorrow. I will also try to up load a pic of the finished results if my computer will comply

eromran
03-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the info. It sounds like this might fix my problem. I will try another 'cross' tomorrow. I will also try to up load a pic of the finished results if my computer will comply

Noticed the name you don't by any chance have a FJ40 if you do this is one i did for my cruiser.