PDA

View Full Version : Off by an 1/8th

jpaluck
03-12-2008, 02:44 PM
It seems everything is off by exactly 1/8th of and inch..meaning what the pattern in designer is and what actually carved...is this normal and do I need to allow for it or do have to adjust something on the machine?

Thanks for your help

John

Router-Jim
03-12-2008, 03:18 PM
This has been discussed before. Easiest way for me to explain it is that if you drew your design with a pencil, the bit would center itself on the pencil line. This results in things being over or under by 1/2 the bit diameter on each side.

Best advice is to plan for it in the designing.

Digitalwoodshop
03-12-2008, 04:26 PM
1/2 the diameter of the bit cuts in the middle of the cut on two ends... 1/2 of a 1/8 inch bit x 2 or each end of a board or cut = 1/8 inch.

Have you done the calibration of your machine yet with a 3/8 inch bit. That will zero out any errors.

AL

jpaluck
03-12-2008, 08:59 PM
thanks guys makes perfect sense..like the 1/8 for the saw blade..sort of..

Thanks for your help

John

Digitalwoodshop
03-12-2008, 10:18 PM
I made a test board starting with the bit making a single cut 1 inch long. Then offset the bit by a fixed amount and cut a whole board with slots the next bigger than the previous one. My goal was if I wanted to plow out and area like a tendon slot here was the real world size in wood. I am aware that the wood will shrink and expand with humidity but it gets me close when setting up a project with Designer.

AL

By looking at the board and the MPC I see the exact numbers I am looking for.

Here in the second photo I gouge out slots to hold fishing rods using the reference.

A Lame attempt at using it....

In Photo 3 I inlay-ed or Tendon the Wine Rack top in this prototype. I could use the 1/2 inch bit to plow out the square holes in the wine rack rails vice cut path.