PDA

View Full Version : Patterns

jerrbitt
03-12-2008, 08:58 AM
Looking for a pattern for NFL teams -- preferably Steelers and Browns.

Also, what's the recommended software for creating "patterns" from photos and getting them readyd for import into the Carvewright design software.

Did a Search looking for this information but did not come up with anything.

AskBud
03-12-2008, 09:45 AM
Have you downloaded the Tutorial, on Importing a Photograph, from this page?
AskBud
http://carvewright.com/cms/tutorials

hotpop
03-12-2008, 10:14 AM
jerrbitt

I use a program called Paint.Net to create most of my patterns. It is very to use and is free from www.getpaint.com.

Many people on the forum use Corel. Corel has many more features and I am in the process of learning the program. There is a much longer learning curve with Corle but at the long end I beleive it will be worth it.

AskBud
03-12-2008, 10:42 AM
First I tested the Pic by importing "as is". I got the results as shown on the Left of my board. It's good, but I did not want the background.

Next, I used the "Paint" program, that is under Accessories in my PC Programs. I brought in the pic and painted all the background Pure-White. I Copied that canvas, exited Paint and opened a new Paint screen. I pasted the copy and set my frame as "Transparent" I did not want the border around my subjects. The result is on the Right of the board.

I can, now, lay this image on top of anything I wish making it appear to be part of the larger scene.

jerrbitt
03-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Thanks "Askbud" and "Hotpop" for the very useful information.

rcdages
03-12-2008, 03:25 PM
Nice work.

What type of wood did you do your carving on?
What setting Dept of cut and what was your Height setting at?

Thank you,
rcdages
Robert

AskBud
03-12-2008, 03:54 PM
My machine is in the shop for a broken Flexshaft (Out of the motor) and other adjustments, so I have not carved the actual project as yet.
I'll probably use a light color wood such as Maple, but I'm not certain.

I'm just working up designs while I wait,and thought this one might help you. The settings are at the Default of .259 Depth & 100 Height on the sample.
AskBud

hotpop
03-12-2008, 05:05 PM
rcdages,

This is one I did. The board is cherry with cherry stain. The plaque is 9"x12"

The heart was dropped in and the depth is .300. The heads were inserted using the default settings.

rcdages
03-12-2008, 05:09 PM
Thank you for your reply information.

This morning on the way in to work I pick up my machine-it needed some work done to it. Looking forward to getting it home and starting to carve again.

It is funny how much you miss it when it is not setting there ready to carve at any time.

For what it is worth I am an old OHIO boy-born and raised in Elyria.

I have been here for 12 years and it has been good to me-the best part now is being close to CW. With in 15 mins of were I work and 65.5 miles from my home in the Conroe area.

I have not posted much-I sure enjoy the wealth of information on this forum.

I'll work towards getting some of my work on the forum to see if it is on the right track.

rcdages
Robert.

rcdages
03-12-2008, 05:32 PM
Very nice work.

Thank you for sharing the photo and information

rcdages
Robert