PDA

View Full Version : One Machine Down, New one on the way....

peter_l
03-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Well I picked up my Compucarve from Sears last week. Finally got to use it over the weekend.

Made two quick signs, and everything worked great.

Today, I went to make another sign and the head would not lower. The crank just kept clicking like it tight already. It had over 2 inches before it would engage the wood.

I tried to tighten the screw that held the crank in with no luck.

Took it back to Sears, returned it, and ordered a new unit.

It will be here on Friday.

I was/am very impressed with the machine. I am hoping the issue with the carving head is a fluke.

Has anyone else had issues with this?

Thanks

Pete

ruggybear
03-10-2008, 04:52 PM
What was the temperature where the machine was located?

Needs to be above 50 degrees.

peter_l
03-10-2008, 04:57 PM
The machine is in my garage. I live on Southern California.

Last night, it was around 45*, but when I was trying to use the machine, it was in the 70's.

Pete

AskBud
03-10-2008, 05:08 PM
The machine is in my garage. I live on Southern California.
Last night, it was around 45*, but when I was trying to use the machine, it was in the 70's.
Pete

I suggest that when the new machine arrives that you take it inside a warm building (>65 degrees) when not in use. Cold may not harm the mechanics, but the Electronics may well suffer damage (condensation could cause corrosion).
AskBud

Jeff_Birt
03-10-2008, 05:21 PM
A bit of searching/reading would have saved you a lot of trouble. In addition to the above tips on the proper temperature for operation, the following tips are right in the users guide.

Likely there was nothing wrong with the machine...

The vertical guide rods at the corners of the machine also need to be clean and rust free for smooth operation. A thin coat of lithiumgrease applied to the rods will help keep them free of rust.

Vertical Lockup: Cranking the head beyond its highest useable

height can result in it locking in a position where the head crank cannot

lower it. Releasing from this locked position it is very easy. The
threaded head screw needs to be manually turned and can be
accessed from the inside of the machine. On this head screw, just
above the traction belts, is a hole into which an Allen wrench or similar
tool can be inserted. Using the Allen wrench as leverage, turn the
head screw a clockwise direction to unlock it.

peter_l
03-10-2008, 05:27 PM
Hi Jeff,

I was able to get the head to move using an allen wrench.

However it would not lower smoothly or the same way it was previously. It 'felt' like the screw on the crank handle was stripped. I tightened it up slightly, but the problem still occured.

I do not think I should have to apply manual pressure to move the carving head lower should I?

Thank you

Pete

Jeff_Birt
03-10-2008, 05:32 PM
There was someone a few weeks ago that got a cracked handle that caused a similar problem. CW sent them a handle right out.

Did you check to see that the head was level on all four corners? It seems the biggest problem with new machines lately is rough handling. The head can get knocked out of whack in shipment (planers have the same issue).

The point I was attempting to make is that it may have saved you some time in the long run to figure out the cause of the problem, rather than exchange teh machine.

peter_l
03-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Thanks Jeff. I would have preferred to keep the machine, as I have a number of projects waiting already. The machine is great, and the results are even better.

When I picked up the machine from sears, the box was really tore up, so perhaps that was an issue too.

Thanks again.

Pete

Jeff_Birt
03-10-2008, 05:49 PM
Pete, that was likely the issue. As long as nothing is damaged it's pretty easy to get the machine leveled back up. Sorry, I kind of jumped the gun and went striaght to operator error on you (getting the head locked in the up position is the #1 newbie issue it seems).

jeepers94
03-10-2008, 06:25 PM
I think it is just plain dumb to design a machine,for the shop,that will not work below 50 degrees! I have 2 computers,and a cnc router and lathe in my shop in Wisconsin.I have never had a problem in 4 years,and the shop gets as low as 40 degrees at times overnight. I turn the machines on and let them warm up about 30 minutes before using.Humidity is probably a bigger factor.It is not that humid here,most of the time.
I can just see me bringing my machines into the house every night,to keep them warm.If the electronics can't take the temperatures,they need better electronics! I have a 2000 sq.ft. shop and it would cost about $750 per month to keep the temp at 60 in the winter.My normal operating temp is 55 when I am working,in the winter.

Big Bob
03-10-2008, 06:34 PM
When I got my machine it was 12 deg and I un-boxed it and let it warm up over night. When I went to use the CW the head was hard to raise and lower. I lubed the shafts and cranked it up and down about 100 times and each time it would get better. More lube more cranking and it freed up fine. I clean and lube my shaft each day.

Also found if you dry lube the too bit chuck and bit adapter and I never fight getting the bit out.