PDA

View Full Version : First Carving

SandBuoy
03-09-2008, 10:17 PM
Okay so its not the best for detail, hardness or design. But its my first completed carve. I used a peice of scrap plywood, great selection right. But I have to say for a layered peice of wood it didn't do a bad job.

hotpop
03-09-2008, 10:23 PM
Congratulations SandBuoy,

Looks good. Your on your way now.

SandBuoy
03-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Thanks POP, after all I have been threw and put everyone else threw on the forum the last coule of days. I would says we all did this one.

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
03-10-2008, 08:57 PM
Excellent! Thats a nice piece. Well now you can imagine what it will look like on a nice piece of hardwood. Keep up the good work .

Old Cop
03-10-2008, 09:20 PM
For your first carve,it is great.You will really enjoy the CW.Keep carving and posting pics of your projects.

auriclux
03-10-2008, 10:04 PM
You folks say you you like pix, so here is my first carve - straight outta the machine and only the sawdust vacuumed off. My purpose in this was multi-faceted as follows:

It seems to me that those machines that are lemons seemed to fail in about the first three carving hours, so I wanted to carve something that went beyond that.

Now a little background, I played GC in building myself a house to live in and it has numerous projects remaining to complete my vision. (Usually my wife is rolling her eyes about now). Some of these projects include friezes for valences and railing panels. Some are just decorative. I have two themes running through the house, Medieval France and Dynastic China.

What you see in the photo is a 1 x 12 x 4' plank of green fir (yeah, I know) carved with the chops for my wife and myself (bottom of the chops are to the right) and a Templar Knight in Mail woodcut against my stairs. The plywood panels that you see in the railings are temporary so that I could pass my final inspection and move in to my house. There are threaded inserts throughout the railings into which I hope to bolt metal frames that hold the wood carvings. This carving helped to size the pieces that I can use.

I am not a woodworker - the carpenters building the house made me cut a plank or two just for the amusement factor at my inability cut a straight line. That's what mitre saws are for, non?

This carve was over seven hours and in that time I paused it twice overnight, and moved the set-up (CW on wheeled scaffold) into the garage. There is some chipping where the surface feature is too thin and where a backside knot was located.

Still, I know I have a good machine now, and that I can get carvings of the size I want. whew

I think I may now work my machine to death ...

Thanks for all of your help.

oldjoe
03-11-2008, 11:42 AM
Great looking project can not wait to see what else you do.

hotpop
03-11-2008, 12:12 PM
auriclux,

It looks like your an old pro already.;)

I especially like the Chinese figure.:cool:

auriclux
03-11-2008, 06:40 PM
You guys are too kind.