PDA

View Full Version : Brass Spacers

STEAM
03-09-2008, 05:44 PM
I hope this doesn't sound stupid but.. Are all flex shafts supposed to have brass spacers? I have had trouble today getting my flex shaft to stay seated in the cutting head. I was carving today and heard the machine stop. I went to check the machine and found the flex core laying on the floor. I tried reseating it to see what the problem was but it will not re-seat. It pops back out. My machine had made a trip to LHR a while back and has sat boxed up since it returned a couple months ago. I am just now getting time to use it again. They installed a new Flex shaft among other things. My original shaft seated well and was hard to pull loose from the cutting head. This one however, when I can seat it, it pulls out without any effort at all.
The bearing and spring are in place on the cutting head and I am making sure the core is contacting the cut motor and the other end is seating into the QC..
Any advise will be appreciated.

Kenm810
03-09-2008, 06:03 PM
nu2carvin,

I haven't heard of LHR using Brass Spacers in a long time, I may be wrong,
but I thought they did away with adding spacers to the Flex-Shaft.
I would measure the Flex-shaft with and with out the spacers,
and call LHR tomorrow and explain to the tech what's happening.

STEAM
03-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Thanks Ken
I don't have spacers but was reading the flex lube instructions and saw them mentioned. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Digitalwoodshop
03-09-2008, 06:45 PM
The ball bearing is held by the clip with a hole in it. If the clip is lined up with the ball bearing it has less holding power. Twist the clip for a better grip. Check the floor for the spring too.... I trampled one....

AL

STEAM
03-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Thanks Ken and Al for your help. I did twist the clip a little and it helped some. What I ended up doing was bending the support wire that is attached to the flex shaft, I made it a little tighter curve. That took some of the pressure of the connection. I just ran a 40 minute carve to test it and everything seems OK. I really appreciate the knowledge and help you guys share.:D