PDA

View Full Version : Problem jointing

thumsup
03-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Greeting,

I'm stumped; yesterday I jointed 4 boards for a glue up. This morning I glued them up. Fantastic job. Then I proceeded to joint 4 more boards and nothing. The machine goes thru its routine just fine but the bit doesn't make contact. I cleaned the sensors and still nothing.

Anyone have an idea where to look next? :rolleyes:

Sincerely,
Joe

Cmdr.Rav
03-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Joe, are you saying it isn't finding the bit with the bit plate? If that is the case try lubing it. It has problems when it becomes dirty.

If not that maybe give us some more info?

Rav

thumsup
03-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Hey Rav,
No the machine does all of it moves. Set the bit in position moves the board back but doesn't move the bit into position to make the cut. The board moves thru the machine but the bit isn't making the cut.
Joe

Amonaug
03-10-2008, 12:02 AM
Is the bit touching the bit plate in the back when it's setting up?

thumsup
03-10-2008, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the responce.

Yes, it does. As stated the machine does all of its moves right up to and including moving the board back and dropping the bit into position. The machine starts up but instead of taking off 1/64" it stays about 1/64" away from the board, runs the board completely through the machine but does not make the cut. The funny thing the machine jointed prefectly the day before. I did not do anything with it in between times. Since then I was able to carve a small (appox. 30mins) project, No problems. :confused:

:rolleyes: Joe

hotpop
03-10-2008, 09:21 AM
thumsup

Dumb question. Is the board width already undersize before jointing?

thumsup
03-10-2008, 09:23 AM
Hey Mel, The board is 5" x 28"

Jeff_Birt
03-10-2008, 09:30 AM
Clean the board sensor and then do a calibration (see back of users manual for instructions).

thumsup
03-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Morning Jeff,

I wiped the sensor with a cloth. Checked the Y-axis calibration as per the owners manual results was -.130 the first check and -.129 on the second check. Is this within tolerance? And if not is it an adjustment I can perform?

Thanks,
Joe

Jeff_Birt
03-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Are you running the calibration routine that takes the 3/8" jointing bit? You put in t piece of wood and it cuts some off both sides and one end? I don't remember it giving any readings.

pkunk
03-10-2008, 09:57 AM
Check & make sure that the bit is tight in the adapter. If a little loose, it will push up when the depth check is performed and 'air carve'.

thumsup
03-10-2008, 10:01 AM
Well now I'm not sure of this calibration your talking about. I did the Y-axis check as noted above. As stated it worked fine on satuday the sunday it did'nt work but it did carve a project with no problems. And yes the bit is tight in its mount.

thumsup
03-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Oh, and yes I'm using the 3/8" jointing bit.

Gunner
03-10-2008, 11:05 AM
You will find " Calibrating Machine Offsets " on page 41 of your owners manual. I do this approx. every 20 hours. Should help with your problem.

thumsup
03-10-2008, 11:18 AM
Ok here is the quote from the manual

"Y position
State – Numerical Value (0.000)
The Y position sensor monitors the relative position of the side-to-side
motion of the cutting truck. To check this sensor move the cutting truck all
the way to the left hand side of the machine and record the displayed
numerical value. Now move the truck all the way to the opposite side and
back to the left side. If the sensor is operating correctly the displayed
value will match the one previously recorded."

I performed this check: the results were on first pass -.130, on the second pass -.129

My question is: is this exceptable and if not how do you adjust it?

j

oclatta
03-10-2008, 12:03 PM
I notice you all referring to a 3/8" jointing bit. I bought the complete bit set and it has a 3/8" straight bit not a 3/8" jointing bit. Is this the same bit?

thumsup
03-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Yes, it's the same bit.

Cmdr.Rav
03-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Ok one more silly question! Did you change the thickness of the board you are jointing? I had problems cutting out a pattern when I asked it to cut deeper then the machine allows. It went through all the process and stopped before cutting. I think the max is 1" it can cut.

If that is not it I guess you need to call CW. Have you tried any other projects to see if it is still working?

Rav

thumsup
03-10-2008, 12:17 PM
No, didn't change a thing. And Yes I did carve a small project with no problem.

Jeff_Birt
03-10-2008, 01:24 PM
Y position

That is just a sensor reading, there is no adjustment to do there. If you move the Y-truck by hand you will see it move.

You need to CALIBRATE it. Gunner even pointed out the page in the users manual...

You will find " Calibrating Machine Offsets " on page 41 of your owners manual. I do this approx. every 20 hours. Should help with your problem.

I don't know how to make it any more clear. Calibrate your machine and then see what happens...

HighTechOkie
03-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Ok here is the quote from the manual

"Y position
The Y position sensor monitors the relative position of the side-to-side
motion of the cutting truck. To check this sensor move the cutting truck all
the way to the left hand side of the machine and record the displayed
numerical value. Now move the truck all the way to the opposite side and
back to the left side. If the sensor is operating correctly the displayed
value will match the one previously recorded."

I performed this check: the results were on first pass -.130, on the second pass -.129

My question is: is this exceptable and if not how do you adjust it?

j

This procedure is only for checking the Y axis position sensor (not actual positional values). Are the numbers you posted the actual values or the difference between left position - right position?

Make sure the board you want to joint is perfectly parallel and the guide plate is touching the edge of the board.

Here is the calibration procedure.

Calibrating Machine Offsets:
The "Calibrate Offsets" function is a
simple procedure to allow the user to fine-tune the CarveWright
machine for improved accuracy. To perform the offset calibration, the
following will be needed:
- A board at least 2" wide by 10" long between 1/2" and 3/4" thick.
- The CarveWright branded 3/8" Jointing Bit.
- The CarveWright sensor calibration will vary slightly depending on
the color and darkness of the material. Best results will be realized
by calibrating the machine using that wood type most often used in
the machine. If a variety of woods are used in the machine,
choose a wood for calibration that is in the middle of the range of
color and darkness.
For best results, choose a straight, flat board that has crisp, clean
corners, and ensure that the Jointing bit is in good shape. Begin by
measuring the thickness of the board chosen. Try to measure to within
at least 1/32" of the actual thickness.
Load the board in to the machine and navigate to the Configurations
Menu from the CarveWright Main Menu by using the up/down arrows
or pressing the “0” (Options) key on the keypad. Navigate to or select
item 6, Calibrate Offsets. The machine will prompt for the thickness
that was just measured, key in the value and press ENTER. The
machine will begin measuring the board and then will prompt for the
3/8" Jointing bit. Load the bit as normal and press ENTER. The
machine will take a few more measurements and cut a slot into the
board.
Once the slot is complete, the CarveWright will begin alternating
between measurement and cuts along the two sides of the slot and the
two sides of the board. When the machine has completed the
calibration the new offsets will be stored into the machine and the LCD
will return to the Configurations Menu. The entire process takes just a
few minutes. If the calibration fails, please see the entry entitled
Troubleshooting the Board Sensor in the above paragraph.

thumsup
03-10-2008, 05:13 PM
I guess I should apologize for being so slow on the up take. But then I thought the only dumb question was the unasked question.
Thanks to all that replied. hightechokim thanks for the post, now I understand. Sorry for the trouble, believe me it won’t happen again.

Jeff_Birt
03-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Ask away, I was only implying that I did not know how to make my intentions more clear, HiTechOkie stepped in and posted the procedure out of the book for you. We are all just trying to help...

chkorte
04-14-2014, 12:30 PM
I am having a problem jointing a board. The bit isn't touching the board. The board is 19X7X.8. I loaded the board, pressed #4 joint, then #2 joint. The truck moves to the center, CW screen says load 3/8" jointing bit, I do and push enter. The truck goes to home and touches the home plate, then goes to the other side and touches the bit plate, then goes home and touches the home plate and says measuring board thickness, then touches the top of the board, then drops into the hole in the sliding plate, then touches the sliding plate and says jointing board. The board moves to the left, the bit drops down into position, the motor starts up and the board moves past the bit but the bit doesn't touch the wood. It carves air JUST BARELY off the edge of the wood. I have tried this a dozen times and every time the same results. I have reformatted the card, flashed the memory(1.187), calibrated the Y-axis, calibrated the Y-axis offset and calibrated the edge detection sensor and it still does the same thing. It's a brand new bit, it's in the RC straight and tight. I love my CW but this is driving me nuts. Normally I would just use my jointer but it's out for service and I figured why wait, it's just a couple edges just use the CW. Anyone have any ideas?

Dan-Woodman
04-15-2014, 08:53 AM
Got a router table?

RMarkey
04-15-2014, 09:08 AM
When you run the jointing function, it will ask if you want to joint it 'again' after each pass. Each pass will move the jointing position. The idea is you keep telling it 'again' until it takes a full pass removing material top to bottom.

chkorte
04-15-2014, 04:16 PM
When you run the jointing function, it will ask if you want to joint it 'again' after each pass. Each pass will move the jointing position. The idea is you keep telling it 'again' until it takes a full pass removing material top to bottom.
It doesn't ask me if I want to joint it 'again' after each pass. It just goes to home and stops.
If I push #8 REPEAT, I have to reload the board and then it starts over new.

chypes
04-15-2014, 05:57 PM
Try using a stop collar on the bit. Just a thought.