PDA

View Full Version : First New Z Bundle Failure ?

Digitalwoodshop
03-09-2008, 01:10 PM
I am pretty in tune with my machine and yesterday I noticed that when the Z was going up and down not under load it sounded like a bag of marbles. That was on board 5 of the Trout Clocks I am doing for a show Saturday. 4 good clocks then the I get a Z stall and the results in picture 2. Picture 1 is what I expected. I think it could be sawdust in the Z belt cogs but it looked good. Cleaned it and checked motion freedom and all looked well.

Reset the project on the same board using place on end of board. It all looks good but I still noticed the Z when it was going up and down checking board thickness and bit plate sounded like a bag of marbles plus it had a ticking while moving at a 2 second rate. Tick Tick Tick it did while moving under no load. 10 minutes into the re carve of the first trout all looked well. I just let it carve the already carved trout then I look and it is AIR Carving 1 inch above the trout.

I shut down and remove the Z Pack checking gearing, belts and even took the back of the new Z pack off to look at the encoder. Picture 3 and 4. All looked good. Blew off the little dust on the encoder wheel and put it all back together. Set up and carved the same board a 3rd time. All looked normal then AIR Carving..... Called LHR on a Saturday and talked to the Techs brainstorming the possibilities.

Decided to swap the big Z Flex cable, my thinking was that it was bad, possibly..... Set the board up for a 4th time and all looked well..... First fish carved great so I went to dinner listening to the carve machine on my intercom. Sounded like it was cutting good from the house..... What I heard next was #$%@&!&*$#%@#^ and the machine shut off.... The dust collector humming in the background..... What I found was picture 5......

A Wind and Thunder storm decided it was time to visit and power lines were down all over the county... Time to quit for the night.

AL

Digitalwoodshop
03-09-2008, 01:19 PM
So today it's a bright cool day and a great day to be carving in the wood shop. Lucky I have the second machine to swap parts with. It was side lined waiting for me to change the QC, it's my out of warranty unit and does 99% of the work. The in warranty unit just picks up the slack and was surprised it went down.

So my next move was to swap the Z Motor and that is what I did. Right off the bat the bag of marbles was gone, no ticking, smooth movement.... So it is carving now and so far so good.

Hopefully I solved the problem. Monday I will contact LHR and see what they say.

AL