PDA

View Full Version : Cranking down the head

SandBuoy
03-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Okay, got the machine yutrned on this morning and had a project I wanted to do. Loaded the project and it says load the peice. So I put the board in and start to crank down the head to secure the peice. Rollers come and touch but does not rachet. The screen side seems to be working okay bit the right side doesn't seem to be coming down tight. Wife says when I crank it down the right side stays higher then the left side. I am not sure how much force you need to the head but it looks to be almost benting the board.

Any ideas what might be wrong. Could the head be messed up right out of the box? When I turn cranking it up after applying some pressure it seems to miss a few turns or slips. Is there a gear that connects the right and left side that may be broken or slipping.

AskBud
03-08-2008, 05:22 PM
The head should be moving down squarely. If it is not, you probably need to contact support.

Here is a video on the Probe, where you will see and hear the standard clicking of the crank as it compresses on the work piece.
http://www.carvebuddy.com/scanningvideo_how_it_works.html

Here is a portion of the manual where it speaks to the crank:
Page 26
7. Next, lower the head by turning the head crank handle counterclockwise.
Once the correct pressure loading of the head is
reached the clutch will begin to ratchet (causing a clicking sound).
It is recommended that the crank be rotated at lease two full
revolutions once the clicking sound is heard to assure full loading.

I hope this info help.
AskBud

Big Bob
03-08-2008, 05:34 PM
My head would not come down when I got mine. Lube the guide shafts and screw and keep raising and lowering and it will free up. Takes a while don't force it.

Bubbabear
03-08-2008, 05:42 PM
What are the shop temps if below 55 that will cause heads not to lower properly

SandBuoy
03-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Thanks Bud,

I think the unit was messed up right out of the box. The left side comes down on the board but the right side is about 1/8" above it even with some pressure to the crank.

Infact I am now having a hard time getting the right side to move up and down at all. All I can think of it there are two gears that come together feeding a rod over from left to right that are slipping. Maybe a part isn't tightened down allowing the two gears to jump over eash other. I also noticed that when I do get a even crank going up the right side is alot higher then the left side. Its tilted enough that I can see it standing back.

Looks like a call to support, maybe its a simple fits.

Jeff_Birt
03-08-2008, 08:00 PM
If you flip the machine on its side you can take out all the screws that hold the bottom cover on (about 10 screws). You will then have access to the rod that links the front and rear together. Pop the rear side drive loose and get things lines up and then reassemble.

SandBuoy
03-09-2008, 01:18 AM
Jeff, I posted on someone elses post by mistake on the same thing.

I did take the bottom off. I seem where there is a screw on each side with a washer holding the rod on berween the two sides. I loosen one and got both sides level. Infact I could turn the rod by hand it was loose. I put the screw back in, put on the bottom and tried turning the head down again. Same thing, the control touched and then started slipping.

Like I said in the other post, it appears the rod coming down from the crank in too short. There is alot of clearance between the two gears. The rod on the bottom also appears to be two short. It moves back and fourth between the two screw gears quite a bit. So something is out of adjustment that is aloowing quite a space between the gears.

Who do I call for a support question on this? I got it at Sears not CW. But I thought I seen where LHM takes all the trouble shooting problems from the Sears machines.

Gunner
03-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Pages 8 and 9 of the troubleshooting guide will help you through the procedure for adjusting the head.

Jeff_Birt
03-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Call CW (LHR), they do all the phone support and service work.