PDA

View Full Version : Quick fastening question

SandBuoy
03-08-2008, 02:56 PM
I am about to start my first carving this afternoon. Got my sled made with formica edges and top about 14" x 20" x 3/4". The board I am carving is 9-1/4 x 9-1/2". The carving is is about 5x5 and I centered it on the sled and used duct tape to hold it down. It feels really sercure and I doubt it will come loose and I am only carving down .150 on a 1/4" thick board.

I brought the grey duct tape onto the peice about 3/4" all the way around. Is the machine going to read the darker tape thinking it is the edge of the board. Or if I enter center location on the board will it stay within the perimeters od the carbing. Furst time so any suggestion is apprecaited. If I am doing something wrong please correct me.

DocWheeler
03-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Sandbouy,

The newer versions of the firmware do it differently than earlier versions it seems. The machine measures width by starting at the keyboard side to find the first edge and then goes to the bit-plate side and comes back to find the other edge - it does not look at what is in between.

For the length, it does not start looking for an edge until a roller becomes Un-compressed, so it does not see much there either.

You are probably okay as long as the sop furface is all the same height.

DrBob
03-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Sandbouy,

For the length, it does not start looking for an edge untis a roller becomes Un-compressed, so it does not see much there either.

Thats good piece of info Ken Thanks

SandBuoy
03-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Heres a couple of quick pictures to show how far off the sides are when cranked down to where it gets tight. Only the back right side is touching on all four roller corners.

Old Salt
03-08-2008, 07:00 PM
I do not see any reson for using a sled with tis carve . I think it will just mess you up.

Ron
03-08-2008, 07:18 PM
thst looks pretty bad sanbouy i think theres a pdf to adjust them but dont have it someone here can tell you,hang in there

ChrisAlb
03-08-2008, 08:24 PM
Heres a couple of quick pictures to show how far off the sides are when cranked down to where it gets tight. Only the back right side is touching on all four roller corners.

Not doubting you here but, that just "looks" physically impossible. Can you take a picture of the whole machine at once and post it? I'd really like to see the whole thing cocked that bad.

Big Bob
03-08-2008, 08:54 PM
It looks like a bevel gear has slipped. Not good to crank it amy more. There are holes in the threded rod that moves that up and down. You may be able to turn that rod with an allen wrench and see which gear is slipping.

SandBuoy
03-08-2008, 10:39 PM
Okay, sorry for the fuzzy picture, now my camera is acting up...what a day!

It seems the gear that is slipping is the one on the crank handle side at the bottom. Actually from trying to see what the problem was I figured out the gears are slipping or not aren't meshing.

Is there a housing that holds the two gears tight that might not have been tighten at the factory? I think the gear has slipped so bad it is now about 1-1/2" maybe 2" out of adjustment left to right.

I tried the allen wrench thing on the high side thinking I could adjust it. It does move it down but the opposite side moves with it. I think the gears work great going up, its going down the seem to slip.

dougmsbbs
03-08-2008, 10:42 PM
I would lay money on it being a bevel gear. Mine did the same thing, only not so bad. I took the bottom off, and there is a small screw holding a washer that holds the cross rod in place. The plastic where the screw mounts had cracked and the screw backed out, letting the bevel gear slip.
I fixed mine with some super glue, but I'm still scared to really crank down on it. It works, what more can I say?

SandBuoy
03-08-2008, 11:17 PM
dough: took the bottom off to see what might be wrong. Very easy to do and it exposed both sides and the gears. The gear unber the crank handle is slipping. It doesn't appear the gears are stripped. The rod coming down from the crank handle appears to be to short. There also seems to be a lot of play from left to right. I did loosen the crank side to line the carriage back up level. But as soon as I tightened even back down and set the machine up, it still slipped just as back. Has to be a easy fix for it, some kind of adjustment in the gears, right?

ChrisAlb
03-09-2008, 12:01 AM
dough: took the bottom off to see what might be wrong. Very easy to do and it exposed both sides and the gears. The gear unber the crank handle is slipping. It doesn't appear the gears are stripped. The rod coming down from the crank handle appears to be to short. There also seems to be a lot of play from left to right. I did loosen the crank side to line the carriage back up level. But as soon as I tightened even back down and set the machine up, it still slipped just as back. Has to be a easy fix for it, some kind of adjustment in the gears, right?

WOW! Seeing is believing. If you have it apart.Where the threaded rod goes through the two nuts on the head plate, make sure there is the same amount of threaded rod above the nuts on both sides. If not, disengage the gears on one side and turn one or the other rod until there is.

Chris

Gunner
03-09-2008, 08:05 AM
Pages 8 and 9 of the troubleshooting guide will give you the correct procedure for adjusting the head. I hope this will give you some help. Good luck.