PDA

View Full Version : Cut motor question, again?!?

amanda0101
03-08-2008, 01:26 PM
I posted this with my other question about the difference in machines but I thought I would post it in troubleshooting so that it would be more specific. My second machine was carving horrible lithos compared to my first machine. Is there a good chance this was from my cut motor problem? During this last week I kept getting RPM errors as well. I thought maybe the speed was making it difficult for the machine to carve detailed images. I am hoping this will not be a problem with my third machine :( Truth be told I took it back because the cover error was just not letting up and I think the screw hole inside of the machine was stripped and allowing the sensor to bounce around. I spent so much money and time editing and redoing all of my lithos until I finally realized that it had to be the new machine. Once I redid a litho that came out great with my first machine this confirmed my theory. Just not sure why it would be so different and the only thing I can think of is the cut motor issue.

Digitalwoodshop
03-08-2008, 01:41 PM
Could be the drive cable between the motor and the spindle? Dry and giving resistance.

Could be a brush on the motor hanging up and not seating properly?

Remember have replacement brushes at 150 hours.

If you gave the bad machine a bit tug meaning you grab the tip of the bit and pull it in 4 directions checking the seating of the bit and all the bearings at one time. Careful you don't cut your fingers. I do that at every bit change.

I would have looked down inside the spindle and be sure the hole is still square.

Good Luck,

AL

amanda0101
03-08-2008, 04:24 PM
I actually convinced Sears to send this one in. It seems like more of a hassle than getting a new one but since problems on my first machine are similar I thought it might just keep happening if I didn't get it fixed. The only reason I suspected the RPM sensor was because I actually did get a good litho out of it when I thought I had fixed my cut motor myself and didn't get an error. It was the first and only time there was no error and also the first and only time I got a good litho. I am hoping that while it is there they will look over everything since I have about 4 things that need replacing, maybe that is just wishful thinking. This machine is only 2 weeks old so definitely not more than 150 hours, closer to 20. I can still call sears and add things to my list of things to look at so any thoughts on something I should add would be great!

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
03-09-2008, 10:10 AM
One more quick check is to check the flexshaft. My second machine was completely dry fresh out the box. This may be causeing some resistence. Ill see if i can get someone else to chime in here, but what about "calibrate offsets?" I havnt explored that yet but thought of that on my other machine when it was acting weird.

On another note, my lithopane experience was short lived as i shared my creation with the cabinet shop guy. Now he seems reluctant to share his scrap. I did make him a name plaque for his desk though to keep him happy.

amanda0101
03-09-2008, 11:23 AM
I started ordering mine on ebay. I found out why mine weren't bending. A lot of the scraps I got were corian but some were formica. Formica doesn't bend but on another note I found out that it makes lithos just as nice as corian. I do have a really pretty large marble formica piece that the guy gave me for free. It is a very light formica so it may look beautiful as a litho or it may look streaky. Have to wait until I get my machine back to see. I am going to call sears tomorrow and have them check about 10 more things. Can't be the flexshaft though as I just lubed that because I thought it was the problem originally.

On another note, my lithopane experience was short lived as i shared my creation with the cabinet shop guy. Now he seems reluctant to share his scrap. I did make him a name plaque for his desk though to keep him happy.