PDA

View Full Version : Dyslexic Designer ?

Digitalwoodshop
03-08-2008, 10:31 AM
I am making this fish clock for a show next weekend. I made it with a Script Text but thought it might look better in Sylfaen Text. Changed the text and saw that FISH was spelled wrong as FFSH. Thought I miss spelled it but I did not. Changed the text to Times New Roman and it was spelled correctly. Changed back to Sylfaen and it was spelled wrong again. Retyped the word and still was wrong.... Picked a few different fonts and they were good. Interesting? Could me my Computer Font or a problem in Designer.

AL

Using 1.126

DocWheeler
03-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Al,

We need a thread where a list of bad Centerline fonts can be posted (all together in one list).

I carved one that SOMETIMES screwed-up a letter, AND I have already forgotten which font it was!

wynpotter
03-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Does anyone know what type of fonts these are? Are they true type or any know style. The reason is to try and understand how vector art might be implemented.
If you don't have centerline do the fonts use raster carving to make them?
Wyndham

ChrisAlb
03-08-2008, 11:51 AM
I am making this fish clock for a show next weekend. I made it with a Script Text but thought it might look better in Sylfaen Text. Changed the text and saw that FISH was spelled wrong as FFSH. Thought I miss spelled it but I did not. Changed the text to Times New Roman and it was spelled correctly. Changed back to Sylfaen and it was spelled wrong again. Retyped the word and still was wrong.... Picked a few different fonts and they were good. Interesting? Could me my Computer Font or a problem in Designer.

ALUsing 1.126

Hey Al,

Sounds like a bad font file. I have a couple. Try typing that "I" in a word document or any other text document. If the "I" still comes out and "F", it's the font file. If it comes out OK, then for whatever reason, it's the way Designer is interpreting it. That, however, would be strange.

I'm going to see if I have that font and test it for ya. Doesn't seem familiar to me though. Did you get it from one of those "free font" sites?

Chris

Eagle Hollow
03-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Does anyone know what type of fonts these are? Are they true type or any know style. The reason is to try and understand how vector art might be implemented.
If you don't have centerline do the fonts use raster carving to make them?
Wyndham

Sylfaen is a True Type font. I would try it but don't how to import it from my hard drive into Designer????
Jerry

ChrisAlb
03-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Sylfaen is a True Type font. I would try it but don't how to import it from my hard drive into Designer????
Jerry

Hey Jerry, You shouldn't have to. If the font is installed on your system, ALL applications have access to them. If you have it available in any other application, you should have it in designer as well. If it's not available in other apps, then you first need to "install" the font via Windows.

Chris

Digitalwoodshop
03-08-2008, 12:36 PM
OK... Great idea Chris. Typed FISH in AOL write a message and Corel Draw in Sylfaen and no problem. Typed FISH in my new project clock in designer and it was good.... Went back to the bad MPC and deleted and retyped the whole sentence and it was wrong again. Deleted it. Typed just fish and it was good. Added a word one at a time and in the end it was GOOD..... Type the whole sentence and it was bad again.... Strange....

AL

Here is the file without the copyrighted fish.

ChrisAlb
03-08-2008, 12:39 PM
OK... Great idea Chris. Typed FISH in AOL write a message and Corel Draw in Sylfaen and no problem. Typed FISH in my new project clock in designer and it was good.... Went back to the bad MPC and deleted and retyped the whole sentence and it was wrong again. Deleted it. Typed just fish and it was good. Added a word one at a time and in the end it was GOOD..... Type the whole sentence and it was bad again.... Strange....

AL

Here is the file without the copyrighted fish.

Start a new MPC file and type the sentence in that one. If it works OK, 5 will get you 10 it's something with the MPC you're using. You know computers buddy...LOL

Chris

mtylerfl
03-08-2008, 12:45 PM

AL
Using 1.126

Hello AL,

I typed the same sentence with the Sylfaen font (as centerline) and it was just fine in both version 1.120 and version 1.125. No problem at this end.

Wonder if anyone else has tried it on their 1.126 to see if it messes up for them? (I don't use 1.126)

Digitalwoodshop
03-08-2008, 12:50 PM
I posted the MPC above. The sentence started life as script.... Then changed fonts... In a new project it types good?

O' well... Back to real work.....

Thanks Guys,

AL

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Saturday watching NORM.... My brother in West Palm Beach and it is a "Norm Free Zone" with just cooking shows on PBS.... NO Norm.... I record them for him....

Kenm810
03-08-2008, 02:13 PM
I just cought the end of this thread.
MY version 1.126 worked fine on it too.

That's two

Digitalwoodshop
03-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Bigger problems yesterday.... New Z Pack is AIR Carving.... Swapped the big cable and it looked normal then carved down removing the fish pattern leaving a hole. Will change the z pack with my other machine now... More later in troubleshooting.

AL

Kenm810
03-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Hey Al,

---AIR Carving--- Been there, http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif

Looks like one of those weekends,
if anything could go wrong --- it dose.

Still no Machine here, all I can do is be a pest on the forum
or draw pretty pictures in CW designer. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif

Digitalwoodshop
03-09-2008, 01:30 PM
I think I fixed it...

AL

Digitalwoodshop
03-10-2008, 03:33 PM
It has been a productive day and a good day. My machine is running great with the spare part from my other machine. LHR has the replacement part on it's way. Good Deal.

Got a call from Software and traded a few emails. Here is the final result. FAST Service !!!!

Al,

Well, I finally have an answer. The Centerline text responds differently on every computer. I was able to reproduce the sentence that you had on your MPC without an issue. I have seen instances like this before using different fonts. Some fonts work well, while others don’t. It is also factored into the amount of memory that your computer has. I am not sure what you are running as far as computer wise, but it could definitely be a memory issue as well. Hopefully this information clears things up some.

Thank you again,

Alex Tauer

Carvewright/Compucarve Support Team

(713)473-6572

So like I was thinking it is a glitch or something on my end in my memory, font, or something else in my computer.

Digitalwoodshop
03-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Looks like Software found the wildcard. Good Job !!!!

AL

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Al,

Well, I finally reproduced the issue you were speaking of. It occurs when you change the text spacing to something other than zero. Try keeping the text spacing at zero and see if you get the same issue occur. If it does not, let me know.

Thank you.

Alex Tauer

Carvewright/Compucarve Support Team

(713)473-6572

luckettg
03-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Bigger problems yesterday.... New Z Pack is AIR Carving.... Swapped the big cable and it looked normal then carved down removing the fish pattern leaving a hole. Will change the z pack with my other machine now... More later in troubleshooting.

AL

Now I see the advantage to having two of these machines. ;) Spare parts.

I use to keep 3 or 4 beaters, cheap cars, just keeping a couple running at any given time, minimum....mostly they all ran fine, but in a pinch, we needed a car that ran....and did not have much money for decent vehicles, and no credit for renting a car. Those days are long gone....I hope!:D

DrBob
03-11-2008, 04:29 PM
Hi Greg
Every time I see a post from you, I am reminded of the movie The Life Aquatic with Bill Murray because of the pic that you have to your profile. Are you Related?
The murray family was perdy big.:D
No offence intented, I just think it's cool!! you could pass for a brother!.

luckettg
03-11-2008, 05:48 PM
DrBob, could be? I have no idea.:razz: