PDA

View Full Version : CarveWrite on Amazon?

amanda0101
03-07-2008, 11:45 PM
I noticed that Amazon sells the CarveWrite for a lot cheaper than Sears of LHR. Is it the exact same machine you would get when ordering directly from CarveWrite? I heard that the CarveWrite was actually better than the Compucarves because they are a newer model. Is this what a person would be getting from Amazon? Not shopping around for a new one yet but just curious.

Minotbob
03-08-2008, 06:48 AM
$200 savings is pretty decent.

Digitalwoodshop
03-08-2008, 09:29 AM
What was the fix for your close cover error? Never saw the answer.

AL

amanda0101
03-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Everything is hooked up right but I think the hole that the screw goes into for the sensor is stripped. The screw is fine and plenty long but it just keeps spinning.I figured out that with the cut motor not working the way it should my carvings are getting messed up. Remember how I posted that thing about the illustrated lithopanes? I had never tried carving a regular lithopane using this machine (used my first machine). I decided to do an old regular one that I had done on my other machine. It came out with the exact same pattern as the illustrations and much less detail as the original. I think that the motor is going so fast that it just isn't as accurate. Anyone have that happen? Taking it back to sears today or tomorrow. That's why I was kind of thinking it may be worth it to just get the money back and buy from Amazon. I know I don't get the extended warranty but again I was told that the CarveWrite version is upgraded from the version that Sears has (anyone know how accurate that is?). Plus I could have my beloved machine back by Monday or Tuesday rather than in a couple of weeks! And with the money I could save I could afford a downdraft system. Hmmmm, any thoughts?

What was the fix for your close cover error? Never saw the answer.

AL

SandBuoy
03-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Amanda, whats the chances of you taking back the machine and turning around the next day or two and ordering a new one from Sears. Just my opinion, but having that 5 year warranty just seems to be too big of a pay off in the end.

I got mine with the Sears Craftmen Club card for $1530.00. Paid the $299 for the 5 year plan total, $1829.00. If I remember right, Amazons was $1699. Thats only a little over $130.00 difference and you have it in a few days.

Theres people here that would kill for an extra 1 year plan for $130.00, especially after the 1 year or 200 hours runs out. One trip back to the shop with shippping can almost pay for the 5 year plan. Its almost a given that in 5years this machine is going to need a trip back to the factory at least a few times. If its serious enough, the cost could offset the plan first trip.

Let us know what you do and how it turns out.

amanda0101
03-08-2008, 12:28 PM
I see where you are coming from but if the carvewrite is a bit more advanced then the Compucarve it would seem worth it to not keep having the same problems over and over. I have been through 2 compucarves in 40 days both with very similar problems and I am hoping that the CarveWrite might be a bit better. I figure that I could try it with the 30 day money back guaruntee and if in a week or two I am having the same problems as the compucarve I can send it back and go back to sears for the warranty. I kind of would like to compare the two since I was told there is a considerable difference but others have said they are the exact same machine. I also heard that there is a compucarve two set to come out next year, which I haven't heard here before so I am not sure if that is true either.

Edit: Okay you convinced me, after doing some research I realized that the plan is worth it no matter what. I am kind of impulsive so the thought of having it here on Monday pushed it over the edge for me but looking at other peoples posts about how things started happening after the warranty was up got me nervous so I will go with Sears!

Amanda, whats the chances of you taking back the machine and turning around the next day or two and ordering a new one from Sears. Just my opinion, but having that 5 year warranty just seems to be too big of a pay off in the end.

I got mine with the Sears Craftmen Club card for $1530.00. Paid the $299 for the 5 year plan total, $1829.00. If I remember right, Amazons was $1699. Thats only a little over $130.00 difference and you have it in a few days.

Theres people here that would kill for an extra 1 year plan for $130.00, especially after the 1 year or 200 hours runs out. One trip back to the shop with shippping can almost pay for the 5 year plan. Its almost a given that in 5years this machine is going to need a trip back to the factory at least a few times. If its serious enough, the cost could offset the plan first trip.

Let us know what you do and how it turns out.

Ken Massingale
03-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Carvewright assured me that the units are identical except for the names.

TerryT
03-08-2008, 01:14 PM
It's just my opinion, but I think that no matter where you buy a machine there is a good chance that it will be one of the hundreds or thousands that have been returned and refurbished. That's probably better than a brand new machine that hasn't had any of the new updates done.

amanda0101
03-08-2008, 01:29 PM
For the input. I think I made a smart choice by staying with Sears!

ca92972
04-16-2008, 11:25 PM
thats if you can get one from sears..