PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else having trouble staying connected?

Cmdr.Rav
03-07-2008, 06:43 PM
I can't seem to stay connected to the forum! I connect and then go to another page and BAM I am disconnected! Or is it just grelmins?

Rav:confused:

Kenm810
03-07-2008, 06:55 PM
Rav,

I had the same thing yesterday afternoon and again this morning for a couple of hours.
It's a little frustrating when your uploading or downloading
a file and it ends up somewhere out in never, never, land. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_eek.gif
It's been fine since noon today.

hotpop
03-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Rav.

Are you on a wireless network? If yes, is it your network?

Cmdr.Rav
03-07-2008, 07:05 PM
Ken, thank you one more step closer to sanity! Lions and tigers OH MY!!! Gremlins, virus' and the bright lights!!!!

Lol I am glad I am not the only one!!!

Rav

Cmdr.Rav
03-07-2008, 07:07 PM
Hmm Mel, I do but only today it started happening more. I have a pretty good connection, well better then 2 squirrels in a cage! The ol' hillybilly hookup!

Rav

oldjoe
03-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Had a simular problem minutes ago could not get on thru the MSN brouser but no problem with Mozzilla.

Cmdr.Rav
03-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I apreciate it! It is good to know it isn't just me! I sought help elsewhere to no advail. So it is nice of all of you to respond, thanks again!

Rav

Cmdr.Rav
03-08-2008, 03:45 PM
Ok I am going to scream! If I go to anyone's homepage it boots me including my own. So if I want to PM or edit my own info I get booted. :( Geez I wish I know why this keeps happening. Kind of like the ol check cut motor issue very frustrating!

Rav

DocWheeler
03-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Rav,

For what its worth, I'm having problems on-and-off.

I have a new computer running Vista and my old one running Win2000 both hooked to cable internet. Vista and new software are testing my patience, and I'm trying to do some tax stuff (always a pain). Sometimes I can get to a site and download forms and sometimes I can't.

Seems to be worse the last couple of days - maybe its just my attitude!

Cmdr.Rav
03-08-2008, 03:57 PM
I agree I went from XP to Vista and I do not like it! Yes it has been getting worst lately. Oh well I am ready to move on to better things!

Thanks again Doc!

Rav

Betty Woodall
03-08-2008, 11:08 PM
You are among friends. We too are having the same problem. Not sure what causes it but it is a pain. I don't know if there is a time out feature with the forum due to failure to read activity but I find that when taking the time to read the responses to questions I am booted off. It is frustrating.... BW

ChrisAlb
03-09-2008, 12:07 AM
Way to many problems yet. Sticking with XP Pro until they have at least service pack 3 and 9 million patches and updates for vista. Might still not switch.

When you find something that works, stick with it. Almost makes me ashamed to be an MCSE!

MS = Malfunctioning Systems

Kenm810
03-09-2008, 08:24 AM
My Son in law and I bought identical new IBM lap tops in December.
I have Xp pro on mine, with no problems.
He loaded Vista on his and has had problems for the last 2 month,
he switched back to XP pro last weekend. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif

ChrisAlb
03-09-2008, 08:35 AM
You are among friends. We too are having the same problem. Not sure what causes it but it is a pain. I don't know if there is a time out feature with the forum due to failure to read activity but I find that when taking the time to read the responses to questions I am booted off. It is frustrating.... BW

I don't think it's the forum. No problems here.

Jeff_Birt
03-09-2008, 11:38 AM
I think folks WAY over exaggerated Vista problems. if you have Vista and have a problem than it is a Vista problem. I have been running Vista on this laptop for six months, no problems that is the fault of Vista.

I was having problems with IE locking up, sent the error report to MS and got instant feedback that the problem was caused by the Skype plug-in. MS included and link to Skype's web page on the issue. Skype readily admits that they initially blamed Vista but when they actually looked at all the error reports (imagine doing actual research before announcing the source of the problem), they found that the vast majority of them were from folks running XP Pro. Sooooo...they had to say it was a bug on their part and a new version is available to fix the problem.

The biggest issue with switching over to Vista is trying to get drivers from the manufacturers of all your peripherals. That is not surprising, anybody remember the issues with drivers when everybody was switching from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95? Anybody want to go back to Windows 3.1? Device drivers generally stink and cause most of the problems that PC users experience. So, you have several thousand vendors who originally did a crappy job (or had some guy in China do a crappy job, but he will take the time to add a virus) or writing a device driver. How much effort do you think they will put into an updated driver that will work with Vista (let alone actually work properly)?

The issues with UAC are non-issues. If you don't like it, shut it off.

Now, that being said I do have one issue that only shows itself with Vista, but it is related to my wireless router. My wireless router is 5 years old and does not work with many of the new security protocols. So I have issues with trying to VPN into work from Vista. But, that is not the fault of Vista. Netgear should just come out with new firmware to add in the new protocols and fix the blasted problem that causes the router to lock up from time to time (from once a week to once an hour).

Cmdr.Rav
03-09-2008, 02:14 PM
Lol, I love how things turn! I realize Vista could be the problem and I have Vista and have been advised not to change it back to XP. I don't have any problems in other sites,just this one. My router is only a few months old so I really don't think that is the issue.

I just want see if I was the only one and I am not! Thanks for the help!

Rav

Digitalwoodshop
03-09-2008, 02:21 PM
I love how Microsoft closes the windows of support for older software patches. Imagine Ford saying.... OK... It's 2009 models and as of today we will no longer support spare parts for 2006 and older cars and trucks and ban the production of and importation of the parts by offshore sources.... 13 years as BZillionair..... Breaks my heart he is now #3...

AL

STEAM
03-09-2008, 06:41 PM
I got a deal December 2006 on Vista. I Installed it in Jan 2007. When it comes to PC's I know my way around pretty good. I have years of experience as a PC tech and System Admin.
Almost from day one I had problems. Vista constantly lost my network connection. The only way to get it back was re-boot. That was just one of many many problems. Last August I re-formatted my drive and re-installed XP. Not once have I lost my connection.
Before I installed Vista I read up on what hardware requirements it had and purchased the latest and greatest that I could afford. That made no difference to Vista it still screwed up.
Now with the same hardware but running XP I am trouble free.
I would rank Vista right down there with Windows M.E. Both made promises that they could not deliver.