PDA

View Full Version : 1 Year Old- Happy with my machine!

Router-Jim
03-07-2008, 08:19 AM
Yes my machine will be 1 year old this weekend and I just thought I'd post how happy I am with it. I have been a hobbiest woodworker for over 40 years, over the years I have slowly developed a completely equiped shop.

I appreciate every tool in my shop and most tools have made woodworking easier and more accurate, but none have added a new dimension to my woodworking like the CompuCarve. No other machine has brought a consistant "Wow" factor to each project either.

At 52 years old, I sometimes felt that new technology was passing me by. The CompuCarve has forced me to get back on the information super highway. It's not been easy, but thanks to the forum and a lot of reading and experimenting, I now am able to design fairly complicated projects, make accurate jigs for other woodworking projects, learned how to upload pictures, take screen shots, upload and down load files, and post pictures on the forum. No other machine in the shop has forced me to do some homework and grow as a person and I appreciate that.

Over the past year I have had one problem - a torn drive belt. That problem was caused by my error. It was early in my use of the machine and I tried to carve a board that had voids on the back side. One of the defects cause the o-ring to roll off and ripped the drive belt. Thanks to the forum I was able to easily replace the belt.

I didn't mean for this to get so long, but with new forum members joining everyday I thought they may want to read something positive. I hope each of you have as much fun and appreciation for your machine as I have.

I welcome other longer term users to post their stories.

Jim

auriclux
03-07-2008, 08:36 AM
Jim,

It is great to hear positive comments, on anything really. It fights against our nature to speak up only with gripes.

It's especially good in cases like mine where the money is committed, but the machine hasn't arrived yet.

Router-Jim
03-07-2008, 08:53 AM
You're welcome Scot.

Over the year I have been asked numerous times what it is that I do different to keep my machine running error free. I'll list a few that come to mind.

I read the manual 3 times before my machine arrived.

I only use straight-flat lumber. Every board gets jointed and planed or sanded as needed before it goes in the machine. I think not doing this has accounted for a lot of errors that I read about.

I thoroughly vacumn out the machine after each carve. I rarely use compressed air and when I do it's <10 psi. It's been my belief that higher pressures just blow dust into the sensors etc.

I have my machine on a dedicated electrical outlet so there's no outside static interference.

I warm up my shop to 55º F before using the machine.

I monitor the flex shaft temp by hand and lube about every 20 carving hours with Gunk with moly.

I use support rollers for any piece over 24"s.

jerrbitt
03-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Not having received my machine yet, I still want to hear from those with experience with the machine and what they have learned -- both positive and negative. Maybe someone has even compiled a list of the best operating procedures and tips.

Since I haven't even seen a machine other than photos, is the machine' structure susceptible of sitting on a downdraft table? I have one that I used at one time for sanding and thought this may be one way of keeping the machine clean of sawdust, etc. I have a central dust collection system and could hook the downdraft table up to a 2" hose.

Is this something you expereinced users would recommend?

DocWheeler
03-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Jim,

I appreciate your post and think think it is appropriate; I want to add that my machine is now over a year old and it has brought joy and adventure into my life also. It allows me to do things that I otherwise would not have been able to do.

For a new user, they need to know that there may be some rough spots in their experience with the machine, but they are minor when compared with the results you can achieve.

forqnc
03-07-2008, 09:56 AM
learned how to upload pictures, take screen shots, upload and down load files, and post pictures on the forum.
Jim

And you know how addicted to pictures we are. :p
I'm pleased your experience has been smooth Jim, and Thank you for the positive post.
My machine had it's 1 year anniversary last month. I've had problems, but since the last time I got it back (August 07) I have used a down draft and never had a glitch. I also have learn't to slow my self down, if a 20 min carving takes an hour of my time Oh well. Before I always wanted to get it done yesterday. :rolleyes:
Good Luck and Happy Anniversary.

oldjoe
03-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Congrats Jim on your machines 1st birthday kind of scary watching it grow up but great that you are growing up with it ( I said up not old ) And starting this thread is a great thing. My machine is only about 9 or 10 months old I have to look at the adoption papers to know for sure. And with the help of LHR's great tech support and this forum I have been able to keep her running smooth.
Keep up the great work!

Hawg_man
03-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Jim
My machine also is one year old (198) hours yesterday. Like you the only problem I have had was a torn traction belt. With proper care I hope to have many more trouble free carving hours and enjoyment.

Bob

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
03-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Only had my machine 5 months but its pushing the 200 hour mark with no problems after i figured out what i was doing wrong.

Since I haven't even seen a machine other than photos, is the machine' structure susceptible of sitting on a downdraft table? I have one that I used at one time for sanding and thought this may be one way of keeping the machine clean of sawdust, etc. I have a central dust collection system and could hook the downdraft table up to a 2" hose.

Yes definately a downdraft! I use a 1200 CFM with great results. I have also used a 300 CFM and worked well. I guess the stronger the better but i believe a downdraft has been the key to the longevity of my machine, that and proper cleaning.

Old Salt
03-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Jim good to hear your 1st year has been good.

The 12th will be my second year with the carvewright. I have worked with wood for about 56 years and the last two I feel it now has come together and put my work over the top . A big thank you to CarveWright for a great machine. The best investment in a tool I have ever made.
I Also Learn something new daily from this great forum :D

TonyToolman
03-07-2008, 08:02 PM
It gives me hope to hear all these stories, and hope that some day I can get my machine running again. It has been down since before Christmas. I have had 3 shipments of parts. The first was intended for someone else, the second was the old style Z-motor with the new style controller board, after trying to get help, it went over the 1 year mark (with 21 hour on it), and out of LHR warranty. Finally one of the tech's identified that there was a mismatch, and the customer service manager approved a replacement. When it arrived I installed it, and now the cover switch is bad, LHR does not honor the Sears extended warranty. The Sears warranty person came out and had never seen one of these. reported that he could not repair it. I was told to take it back to the store for replacement. The store manager said that the could not take it until he received approval, and that takes a week. After a week, I called to check the status. They told me that they had sent the wrong tech (you think!). Now they want to send another one (another week), and if he can't fix it, it will be another week to get approval, and another week to get the replacement. That's another three weeks before I can get started. If he trys to fix it, I have no idea how long it will take to get the parts. I keep hoping I can get one that will work. I have many more hours try to get it to work than working. I have been doing woodworking my whole life, and I am 50. I am a Computer engineer in my day job. I followed all the processes you all describe. I keep it clean and warm. I even talk nice to it, but it must have been the first machine on the belt on Monday morning after a holiday weekend. Your stories give me hope that if it is ever replaced, I will have the happy stories to tell. :roll:

oldjoe
03-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Tony there is another thread going that discusses the cover switch, it also lists where you can purchase alternate switches, Even buying one from LHR for only $5 or so plus shipping will be better then waiting 3 weeks,
Good luck! ;)

DocWheeler
03-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Tony,

My warranty states that I have to take it to the store and they ship it for repair. And as Joe said, the switch should be an easy fix. Take heart my friend.

forqnc
03-08-2008, 08:07 AM
When it arrived I installed it, and now the cover switch is bad,

Tony here's my thread that OldJoe is referring to, I believe.
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6466
Good Luck, and remember once she's making chips you'll forget all the hard ship.