PDA

View Full Version : center line text

Danny Peterson
03-07-2008, 04:43 AM
I did a sign and there was no problem. Then on the next two the carving was fine but the text hardly touched the board. The bit looks to be installed Ok and the bit looks good in the adapter.
Thank you for your help
Danny Peterson

Hawg_man
03-07-2008, 05:13 AM
I would check the 2 set screws that hold your bit in the adapter.......sounds like they may have come loose.......they need to be loctited in with thread lock to prevent this. (using Blue loctite). Based on your carving being OK and the same depth as your 1st carving I would bet this is the case

Bob

Danny Peterson
03-07-2008, 05:18 AM
I checked the screws and the bit and it is all tight. The bit has not moved.

larrywilson
03-07-2008, 05:33 AM
i have had the same problem. and not getting a clean cut is one of them. the tool will plunge for no reason tool is locktited. and not moving. when cuting it will go where it should not be. good fire wood. i have better results with raster and outline. suport said it is somthing i am doing wrong. i put text on board make it to fit board and cut what am i doing wrong?

Danny Peterson
03-07-2008, 06:01 AM
When it is carving It looks as though it is going over the letter as it should. just not touching the wood sometimes and then towards the end of the cut it starts to touch the wood. How does this michine check the bit for depth. I am not sure why it would happen when in vector but not when it is doing the roster carving.
Danny

Jeff_Birt
03-07-2008, 08:21 AM
After you put the bit in the machine goes to the back and touches the bit down on a little 'bit plate' that flips out. The bit MUST touch on the flat part of this plate. If your's is not do a search for 'bit plate' the subject has been covered numerous times (and I'm too lazy to retype it all here ;)). Also, after touching the bit plate the bit will come to the front of the machine and touch down on the board. Make sure it is touching down at a good spot on the board.

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
03-07-2008, 09:16 AM
Another solution that i discovered is to check you board settings in designer with the actual board. Like if your board thickness setting is .750 and your board is actually .745 then naturally your going to get that. Check the thickness of the board with a micrometer or caliper for best results. Now some might argue that the machine measures the thickness before it starts. Okay i know that but for some odd reason it is not that accurate with the centerline. And i posted about it "The Disappearing Centerline Mystery" a while back. I just know what works for me and i lower the thickness settings lower than the actual board a couple thousandths. Also when you have your project in designer you can check the depth of your centerline letters by zooming in and then running the pointer slowly over the letters. The depth will be show in real time in the bottom left of screen. Note that different fonts or bold or other features will also affect depth. Just experiment around until you find what you like. Its not an easy process i struggled with fonts for months.

Danny Peterson
03-07-2008, 10:28 AM
Thank you
That will give me a few things to check out today.

www.mountainpeak.ca

Danny Peterson
03-09-2008, 03:00 AM
Ok I did a test. I carved using wood that was 3/4 thick. I set the thickness to 0.700 then 0.750 then 0.800. I carved vector text with all three settings. They all came out the same. So I ran the carve that gave me the problem and it worked fine. After this I was able to carve with no problem for about another 10hrs michine time. But yesterday the carve bit took a dive through the board and recked the bit. I called CW and a new Z pack is on the way. That may have been the problem with the letters before. The z pack motor is what controls the hight.
Thanks all for you help.
Time to get the chainsaws back out

www.mountainpeak.ca

Danny