PDA

View Full Version : using 2 different bits in one carving

Trader Howland
03-06-2008, 09:37 PM
First, is it possible to do this? I have designed a length of trim for moulding, picture frames, etc. The design elements consist of different geometric patterns (think native Hawaiian/Polynesian) that run down the length of a 3.5" x 8' strip of wood. It's designed ,for the most part, using a 1/4" bullnose bit but about every 6-8" there is an element that would have to use a 1/4" v-groove bit. Is this do-able?

If so, how? Would the machine run the board all the way through using one bit--then I change bit--then run board back through again?????

Sorry if this is a 'toopid' question--still a newbie and haven't even used my machine yet--and I've had it since September!!!

jlitz
03-06-2008, 09:44 PM
When Designer compiles the project and saves it to the memory card, it will group all elements using the same bit for minimal bit changes. All elements using the 1/4" ballnose will carved, then all the 1/4" v-groove bit elements.

Dan-Woodman
03-07-2008, 05:51 PM
The machine will prompt you as to what bit it wants next. When you first start your project it will tell you what bit to insert , so it can measure it . Then as your project progresses the machine will stop and tell you what bit to use next.
I would suggest a practice scrap with different bits to see how it works.
later Daniel

luckettg
03-07-2008, 06:18 PM
I did my first and only one using multiple bits and it worked great, except it had me load each bit once at the very beginning, then used the bit plate, then went into its routine. The spiral 1/16 bit, the 1/8 cutting bit, and the 60 deg. V bit were used. The machine finished with one bit, then prompted for the next. This is cool!:D

Trader Howland
03-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Thanks guys--Glad to know that this is possible, though it sounds like it may be a little more complex than spitting out a carving that's designed for one type of bit.

I'll give it a go on some scrappage first--then decide if maybe I want to re-do the v-groove sections somehow. I'll post the file and welcome any suggestions--it's not a finished design by any means--just something I'm toying around with for now.

So I've gathered that I'll start with the ballnose bit then every time the machine gets to the v-groove element of design, I'll have to stop the machine change bits, let machine carve v-groove element then stop machine again, change bit again--and so on and so on--is this correct? Sounds troublesome, really.

In the attached file, everything is bullnose bit EXCEPT the squares with the 'X' shaped flower looking thing, that's the v-groove part. Thanks again everyone.

jlitz
03-07-2008, 09:35 PM
So I've gathered that I'll start with the ballnose bit then every time the machine gets to the v-groove element of design, I'll have to stop the machine change bits, let machine carve v-groove element then stop machine again, change bit again--and so on and so on--is this correct? Sounds troublesome, really.

At the very beginning, it'll prompt for each bit used to measure the bits length. Then, it will carve everything that uses the first bit, all at once. Prompt for the next bit, carve everything else and your done. Minimal bit changes.

It does not carve ballnose, v-groove, ballnose, v-groove, ballnose... It will carve ballnose, ballnose, ballnose, v-groove, v-groove, v-groove.

hotpop
03-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Trader,

You do not have to stop the machine to change bits. When its time to change a bit the machine will stop and wait for you.

Remember too: The cover can be opened at anytime to stop the machine to clean out chips or what ever. It will resume cutting when you close the cover and press the enter key.

BTW: Does anyone but me remember when computers had a Return key?

SilentBob
03-07-2008, 10:01 PM
I do ;-) It was before you pushed Start to Shut Down. Life was much simpler way back then.

Trader Howland
03-07-2008, 10:33 PM
Trader,

Hah--the simplicity of the Mac--still sportin' the old school 'return' key. I have to look at it in this aspect as well, though. Take anything that may have an 'ENTER' sign--the door to a bar or restaurant or convenience store or a public restroom somewhere. It wouldn't have a 'RETURN' sign on the door unless the facility in question had previous knowledge of you being there before in the recent past. SO- I go along with the 'ENTER' key philosophy, although I don't have one.

ChrisAlb
03-08-2008, 01:42 AM
Trader,

You do not have to stop the machine to change bits. When its time to change a bit the machine will stop and wait for you.

Remember too: The cover can be opened at anytime to stop the machine to clean out chips or what ever. It will resume cutting when you close the cover and press the enter key.

I do Mel,...lol

Now they just want you to know that you're about to "enter" the garbage so you won't be dissapointed when garbage comes back out.

Jeff_Birt
03-08-2008, 07:54 AM
'Return' is typewriter terminology, you would 'return' the carriage to start a new line. It carried over to keyboards as it was a familiar terminology, anybody familial with typing would not have known what they were 'entering'. Old HP programmable calculators always had a 'Enter' key is it entered a line onto the stack...

Trader Howland
03-08-2008, 08:26 AM
Sorry, didn't mean to throw you guys off topic ;)

I purchased the carvewright 1/4" v-groove bit and 2-- 1/4" bit adapters. For whatever reason, I didn't order the 1/4 b-nose bit.

Will ANY brand of 1/4" carbide tipped ballnose bit work--as long as it is inserted into the adapter at the proper depth? If so, any recommendations, Freud, CMT, etc????
Thanks again

Jeff_Birt
03-08-2008, 09:51 AM
As long as it is a good quality bit that is the same length and profile it should be OK. I'm using a 60 degree V-bit I got at Lowe's.